Sponsored

Rivian Cash Concerns Spur 76% Price-Target Cut by Longtime Bull

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I still think it's idiotic that the markets care so much what analysts think. But here you go:

--------------

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rns-spur-76-price-target-cut-by-longtime-bull

A longtime bull on Rivian Automotive Inc. slashed his price target on the stock by three quarters, giving up on the electric-vehicle maker after a 92% wipeout in its shares.

Alexander Potter of Piper Sandler Cos. reduced his price target to a Wall Street low of $15 from $63, citing the company’s need to raise more than $4 billion to fund its growth. The analyst, who had an overweight recommendation since taking on coverage in 2021, cut his rating to neutral.

Potter’s new view is a long way from his $148 price target when he initiated coverage after the company’s November 2021 initial public offering. The stock peaked at $172.01 just after the IPO. In premarket trading Friday, Rivian fell 3.9% to $13.80 at 6:24 a.m. in New York.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Cash Concerns Spur 76% Price-Target Cut by Longtime Bull 940x-1

Potter still likes the maker of plug-in pickups’ strategy of providing software, service and charging to capture revenue after a vehicle is sold, similar to that of larger rival Tesla Inc., he wrote in a report. However, that’s a costly, long-term approach at a time when capital markets are “disobliging,” he said.

“In this market, frugality matters more than ambition,” he wrote.

With the Federal Reserve raising interest rates over the past year, investors have shied away from unprofitable companies such as many electric-vehicle makers that depend on access to cheap capital to fund their businesses.

Rivian tumbled last month after the company’s production plans for this year fell short of Wall Street’s expectations. Fourteen analysts still recommend buying the shares, while six have the equivalent of hold ratings and two are at sell, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
Sponsored

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Nothing new, the stock predicted this by never breaking out. New lows.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Takes a BRAVE PROGNOSTICATOR to lower the price "76%" to something still above it's current price...

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Model Y, ‘22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Laughable

OP
OP

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Takes a BRAVE PROGNOSTICATOR to lower the price "76%" to something still above it's current price...
Yeah more often than not, analysts adjust their targets after the fact, so that analysts don’t look dumb being so far off.

That’s fine and all, but I think it’s stupid the market then reacts to the analysts’ reacting (to the market price in the first place). Feedback loop of stupidity.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Often analyst make thee types of calls just to gain attention and get air time on financial networks. This particular analyst also had Rivian priced at well over $100B in market cap after IPO because prices were at that level. Now that its trading essentially at cash-on-hand value, he changed it to that - wow, very insightful and a genius!!!

I do not pay attention to analyst calls, except to note them since they sway novice actions and sentiment, and do my own work on companies I'm interested in AND understand their businesses. This has worked for me. I've managed to more than 6x my investment value over the last 10 yrs. That includes very bad 2022. I'm still ~20% CAGR during the last 10 yrs.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Wall Street:

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
The "Plummeted from $180!!!!" narrative is such BS too. It was only that high for what, a couple days? And then fell to earth very quickly, without any material facts about the company or market context changing. Anyone who pretends that was anything besides an irrational investor hype cycle is not worth paying attention to; if you want to speak to Rivian's long term viability and growth prospects, do so on the merits, not on the back of ridiculous market speculation. We might as well be talking about GameStop at this point.

Prius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Never a good idea to bottom fish a company trading below cash.

Sponsored

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
Hard time for Rivian for sure with so many uncertainties. But I am pretty confident on R.J and the company.

I am gonna buy more at 7% Discount today.
Same. I'm long on RIVN after building a position in the stock last month. My time horizon is much longer than the 12 mos the analysts are forecasting for. Rivian was always going to have huge losses for at least the first couple of years because that's what happens when a startup auto maker ramps to production capacity. If they meet their goal of reaching gross profit some time next year, and can show that the R2 remains on track, investors will line up to give them another $4B. The market for electric trucks and SUVs is massive, and Rivian's product is excellent.

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
RIVN is heading to 12-10 from here, then back to 16-20 before a final washout to 8-7 when it will finally bottom near the end of this year or early next year. My WAG (which I think is just as valuable of an opinion as Potter's ;)).

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
There's the cash burn rate, the availability and cost of credit and of course, market competition. It's not like the big boys are sitting on their hands either.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Its was definitely overvalued at the beginning which really makes me mad.
Sponsored