Sponsored

Rivian capable of 3 phase charging with minor mods?

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Probably not. From what I have read, power distribution to residences in Europe is 230v/400v. To get that amount of power/charge rate, they would need a 400 volt 3 phase capable EVSE and in vehicle charger. Keep in mind that the Rivian only accepts two legs of power. I really am not sure what would happen if you connected 2 phases of a 3 phase circuit to an EV as the power will be assymetrical (120 degrees phase difference as oppose to 180 degrees), but I think the charger would need to be designed to handle that scenario.
Wallbox Pulsar Plus lists 3 phase 400V 16A and 3 phase 400V 32A among its capabilities on the Technical Datasheet.

My shop (in Arizona) has 3 phase - connecting two phases (as I do) yields 208VAC (actually about 211VAC) - which works just fine.
Sponsored

allan88

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
sales manager
Hi Allan88, welcome to the Rivian Europe club! I'll be organising a get together as our group is expanding...I'm in contact with Rivian on 4G connectivity - they seem to be genuinely willing to solve it but slow to respond, as this is obviously not a prio. Do you have yours licensed for the road yet? If you have questions - let me know, happy to help!
It sounds interesting, and yes my R1T is on license plates here in Denmark.
I have spent some time getting it through inspection (yellow flashes in the back, and the papers for approval from Tüv.
Have been thinking about 4G connectivity and have plans to contact Rivian about replacing the eSIM data card.
I have a car shop where we only sell vehicles that we import from North America, from where we also have a lot of experience with Ford Lightning in terms of lights, trailer charging adapters.
I also like to share knowledge..

Sorry I didn't see your message earlier :)