Sponsored

Rivian capable of 3 phase charging with minor mods?

AMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Hi everyone, I'm the happy owner of a Forrest Green R1T Adventure Package. In fact, I liked it so much, I decided to bring it with me to Europe. I can't wait for the truck to be fully certified and good to go so I can explore the adventures Europe has to offer!

I successfully hooked up my Juicebox 40 at home, installed a lot of solar panels on the roof, so now I'm looking forward to start charging my R1T with solar and drive on sunshine! Since my home has 3 phase power, but the R1T only takes single phase power, it will only charge at around 3.5kW (230V/15A), which is ok, but I'd like to try and speed that up if possible. So I'm trying to figure out if the R1T was designed to be able to charge 3 phase power with relatively minor modifications to the on board charger? Any insight is much appreciated!
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Hi everyone, I'm the happy owner of a Forrest Green R1T Adventure Package. In fact, I liked it so much, I decided to bring it with me to Europe. I can't wait for the truck to be fully certified and good to go so I can explore the adventures Europe has to offer!

I successfully hooked up my Juicebox 40 at home, installed a lot of solar panels on the roof, so now I'm looking forward to start charging my R1T with solar and drive on sunshine! Since my home has 3 phase power, but the R1T only takes single phase power, it will only charge at around 3.5kW (230V/15A), which is ok, but I'd like to try and speed that up if possible. So I'm trying to figure out if the R1T was designed to be able to charge 3 phase power with relatively minor modifications to the on board charger? Any insight is much appreciated!
I'd suggest getting a DC charger instead of trying to modify the one on the truck. I don't have any suggestions otherwise, so good luck with your endeavour.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
I very much doubt it can charge on three phase. First, you don’t even have the right number of pins in the charge port. There is no way to get the other two phases into the charging circuit board.

Your best bet is to hook up your EVSE to a high amperage single phase circuit.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Buy a leaf and get 18 or 22 charging :)

So few countries have three phase to residential it's pretty rare that vehicle support. But it is cheap for them to do so

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Buy a leaf and get 18 or 22 charging :)

So few countries have three phase to residential it's pretty rare that vehicle support. But it is cheap for them to do so
The Polestar 2 supports it. The American version of the car simply seems to still have the three individual phase charging setup, just all wired the same. An early bug with the car was that one or two of the charger "phases" wouldn't activate and you'd only get 1/3 or 2/3 the rated current.

I have no idea about how any of the other EVs I've owned do it.

Sponsored

allan88

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
sales manager

Hi I'm new here.
I just received my R1T imported from NY state.

Have searched online and found this Type2 socket with internal cable and part#, I know Rivian has done tests in the EU but shut down completely in the EU on May 23.

Have seen your other post and I am also working on finding a way to connect to 4G network :)
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian capable of 3 phase charging with minor mods? Rivian Type2 net
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian capable of 3 phase charging with minor mods? Rivian Type2 net part#

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Since my home has 3 phase power, but the R1T only takes single phase power, it will only charge at around 3.5kW (230V/15A), which is ok, but I'd like to try and speed that up if possible.
Why are you limiting yourself to 15A?
The truck supports AC charging up to 240v at 48A.
11.5kw, which is over 3 times what you're getting now.

I'm not really familiar with the ins-and-outs of residential 3-phrase power in Europe, but... surly if you can get a 230V leg at 15A, you could also get 230v at 48A?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Why are you limiting yourself to 15A?
The truck supports AC charging up to 240v at 48A.
11.5kw, which is over 3 times what you're getting now.

I'm not really familiar with the ins-and-outs of residential 3-phrase power in Europe, but... surly if you can get a 230V leg at 15A, you could also get 230v at 48A?
I think because it's 3 phase that they don't have nearly the same ampacity as our panels do, but I could be wrong.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software

Sponsored

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
What is the concern for the 60 hertz rating. Single phase or three phase power would be same frequency of 60 hertz in the US

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
Oops disregard this would be for a European install. My bad

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Probably not. From what I have read, power distribution to residences in Europe is 230v/400v. To get that amount of power/charge rate, they would need a 400 volt 3 phase capable EVSE and in vehicle charger. Keep in mind that the Rivian only accepts two legs of power. I really am not sure what would happen if you connected 2 phases of a 3 phase circuit to an EV as the power will be assymetrical (120 degrees phase difference as oppose to 180 degrees), but I think the charger would need to be designed to handle that scenario.

OP
OP

AMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Hi I'm new here.
I just received my R1T imported from NY state.

Have searched online and found this Type2 socket with internal cable and part#, I know Rivian has done tests in the EU but shut down completely in the EU on May 23.

Have seen your other post and I am also working on finding a way to connect to 4G network :)
Rivian Type2 net.png
Rivian Type2 net part#.png
Hi Allan88, welcome to the Rivian Europe club! I'll be organising a get together as our group is expanding...I'm in contact with Rivian on 4G connectivity - they seem to be genuinely willing to solve it but slow to respond, as this is obviously not a prio. Do you have yours licensed for the road yet? If you have questions - let me know, happy to help!
Sponsored