First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Good point regarding the induction specific cookware. Most modern pans are marked if they are compatible with induction cooking so look at the bottom of the pans! If you have old cookware that isn't marked, then it is typically induction capable if a magnet sticks to the pan.
Many campers like to use aluminum because it is light, but that will not work with induction.
Sponsored

Sneaky2Toes

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Induction cook tops are cheap, like a double burner can be had for under $100. $5,000 is highway robbery. $1500 max is what it should be.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Induction cook tops are cheap, like a double burner can be had for under $100. $5,000 is highway robbery. $1500 max is what it should be.
If it was $1500 I probably would have bought it.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
like a double burner can be had for under $100
In a quick search I didn't see any for under $100, although I did find some under $200. The other question is how high do they go? In a quick amazon search I found ones going for a bit under $400.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
In a quick search I didn't see any for under $100, although I did find some under $200. The other question is how high do they go? In a quick amazon search I found ones going for a bit under $400.
I have to wonder if it was supposed to be $500 and somebody fat-fingered it when writing the configurator.

Sponsored

Sneaky2Toes

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I was going by what a quick google search returned. Just did another one and here is an 1800 watt one for $139.
regardless, $5000 is just ridiculous. Since it is simple plug and play, I am sure someone will offer other options once the Rivian one is released to see how they designed it.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I'm pretty sure I see at least $1000 in components and materials in the camp kitchen (the induction stove is probably not the cheapest one you could source, and those have to be some pretty heavy duty drawer slides... add the pump, faucet, gas struts, heavy duty plastics, fasteners, electrical cable management, etc.). Amortize some R&D and add a retail mark up... $5000 is steep but not absurd. And as it's factory-branded, steep is somewhat expected. I would be surprised if an aftermarket unit similar in features and quality went for less than $3500.

We've converted a sprinter and built a galley with similar components (though not optimized to fit in a uniquely shaped gear tunnel). To come up with something similar in terms of apparent quality would be a long weekend or three (in addition to all the components plus extra materials for some trial and error). I'm not saying it's a great deal, but it's also only 5% of the total cost of a configured vehicle. And it's convenient and available at launch.

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
At $5k USD I would rather build my own...

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Yeah at $5k I’ll build my own, but it does make me wonder... where does with factory setup plug into the truck? I’m guessing there is an outlet/electric hookup in the gear tunnel we’ve never seen.
Is the sink hot water?

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Yeah at $5k I’ll build my own, but it does make me wonder... where does with factory setup plug into the truck? I’m guessing there is an outlet/electric hookup in the gear tunnel we’ve never seen.
Is the sink hot water?

Been thinking about how it gets power as well. Some members have noticed an update to the interior of the gear tunnel, and I am thinking that the "rail" system that they have mentioned in the past might be that updated part and there will be connectors there, it would be really cool if it was actually just charged or receiving power via contacts like the speaker. that docks and gets charged without an actual plug.

Sponsored

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

That'd be a lot of power to deliver through induction to run the cooktop and kettle.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
https://rivian.com/support/article/what-are-the-onboard-outlets-in-the-r1t

What are the onboard outlets in the R1T?
The R1T includes a 110v outlet in the center console, gear tunnel and two in the truck bed. You can also find a 12v outlet in the front trunk and under the center display.
There's a standard household electrical outlet in the gear tunnel. The most likely way this works is a power cord and a cable manager. Probably something with a mechanism similar to this:
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Camp Kitchen won't prevent use of gear tunnel seagate_stdp402_8_bay_rackmount_cable_1182899

riviancanucknb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram 1500
The camp kitchen was a cool idea but when you can buy an induction burner for $50 and full blown outdoor camp kitchen for $100 the price is way, way, way out to lunch. It should cost $500 or less. I could justify $1000 to give a decent profit margin.

That'd be a lot of power to deliver through induction to run the cooktop and kettle.
I think you're overestimating the power draw. An induction burner uses about 1200 watts. A kettle under 1000. You can run them both over a standard 12g extension cord.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

I don't think I'm over estimating it. To provide a wireless induction based power connection for the ~2000 watts of equipment, you'd need some rather large and heavy coils. Think about a cell phone's wireless charger. It's providing something in the range of 10 or 15 watts. Sizing that up to handle 2000 watts is huge. Cable management arms as pictured above in timesinks' post are a lot cheaper and easier to install for this type of application.