First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
I'm pretty excited about this personally, nice walk through of changes and features. Still nothing about the burners and how high they can be run

i found it amusing he realized about the coffee grinder he had it set up wrong in his demo at the end. As a guy who used to do demos I call that forgetting to sacrifice to the demo gods before the camera starts rolling.

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Buying it.
I have to say I am interested...there's another thread on here where the R1S must have been on a slope though and they had to hold things on that surface with...large rocks. And a bungee. Definitely concerned about that. And I could have sworn this was on the driver's side in the original video - and that's important because the cook surfaces are then on the aft side of the kitchen. Note that in the video you cannot open the rear passenger door with the kitchen deployed. I suppose you could open it ahead of time so you could sit there while things cooked? I dunno - it's kind of bugging me.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I have to say I am interested...there's another thread on here where the R1S must have been on a slope though and they had to hold things on that surface with...large rocks. And a bungee. Definitely concerned about that. And I could have sworn this was on the driver's side in the original video - and that's important because the cook surfaces are then on the aft side of the kitchen. Note that in the video you cannot open the rear passenger door with the kitchen deployed. I suppose you could open it ahead of time so you could sit there while things cooked? I dunno - it's kind of bugging me.
It’s always been on the passenger side. The slope of the leading side of the gear tunnel is needed to fit the dimensions of the cooktop.

with the door open and the kitchen deployed there would not be much space to move.

i do wonder if self levelling when parked, which is apparently a feature, was not enabled.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Bought it... wife disapproves. I told her this is my mid-life crisis. It's faster than a Porsche, but vastly more functional, and it can tow my other mid-life crisis around (dos boot).

Her only comment was, "So, I only have to deal with you until 84... good to know."

...not sure how to read that, but I'll take it as tentative buy in on the package.

Sponsored

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Buying it.
I admit I was not even thinking about it, but then after seeing these videos and thinking about all the crap you would have to carry if you did not have this … it really will add to the adventures, and once you add up all the prices separately I think it really adds value. I’m now excited about it, I added it to the configuration:) $

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Bought it... wife disapproves. I told her this is my mid-life crisis. It's faster than a Porsche, but vastly more functional, and it can tow my other mid-life crisis around (dos boot).

Her only comment was, "So, I only have to deal with you until 84... good to know."

...not sure how to read that, but I'll take it as tentative buy in on the package.
Ha. My wife was like if you are buying this truck why wouldn't you get the camp kitchen? Sold!

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
...thinking about all the crap you would have to carry if you did not have this …
Bingo for me.

Camping (or rather the prep for) can suck. Where as filling the tank with water, clicking the three modules in place and tossing the IceCo Cooler in the back with the tent, sleeping bags and such in the frunk... bam.. done.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Worth it to never have to discover I left something out of the camping kitchen box, or forgot fuel for the stove.

”but dear, it even comes with the kitchen sink!” Is how I got the WAF up. Practicality!

Also all the snow peak stuff at retail is worth a mint, the camp kitchen is a decent value.
we have the kettle and some other snow peak stuff. Works of art!

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
They've said in the past that the kitchen would include cases for when you're storing it outside the truck. Is that still a thing? I don't think I've seen the cases before.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They've said in the past that the kitchen would include cases for when you're storing it outside the truck. Is that still a thing? I don't think I've seen the cases before.
I assume it’s soft sided bags/covers of some sort. I’ve seen that mentioned too, but not lately.

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

My wife said, "Of course you are buying the Camp Kitchen!" No argument from me there. :D

However, I keep wondering why there is no electric cooler/refrigerator included with the Camp Kitchen. Not much of a kitchen without food.

I've been looking at various brands of electric coolers (e.g., Dometic, ARB, ICECO), but all of them that are large enough for a family of 4 are too tall to fit in the bed and keep the tonneau closed (more than 17" high). Also, lifting them up and over into the frunk when full could be begging for a visit to the chiropractor. Has anyone who is considering the Camp Kitchen thought about what a good solution might be? It seems to me like NOT having an electric cooler with an electric truck would be heresy.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
Rivian needs to produce an interactive Cook Book for meals that can be easily prepared with Camp Kitchen accessories...allow users to contribute and rate recipes.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My wife said, "Of course you are buying the Camp Kitchen!" No argument from me there. :D

However, I keep wondering why there is no electric cooler/refrigerator included with the Camp Kitchen. Not much of a kitchen without food.

I've been looking at various brands of electric coolers (e.g., Dometic, ARB, ICECO), but all of them that are large enough for a family of 4 are too tall to fit in the bed and keep the tonneau closed (more than 17" high). Also, lifting them up and over into the frunk when full could be begging for a visit to the chiropractor. Has anyone who is considering the Camp Kitchen thought about what a good solution might be? It seems to me like NOT having an electric cooler with an electric truck would be heresy.
There's just not enough room in the gear tunnel for a decent fridge because of how oddly shaped it is. It would have to be completely custom made. Needing decent insulation on every side and a production ready method of making sure you can actually get the heat out of the tunnel probably just made it not feasible.

The original dimensions given for the frunk made it seem like there would be plenty of room for my Dometic CFX3 95DZ but after looking at pictures of it, it's really looking like it might not. The space is more of a stretched hexagon shape than a rectangle. And it's only 22.7 inches deep in the area where the removable section is.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Camp Kitchen walkthrough by TechCrunch 1633093276548

Pic is from Motortrend. don't know if this is how it looks in the finished truck or if this was pre-production.

If you intend on actually using a fridge/cooler while on offroading trips, you probably want the thing tied down as well. Since Rivian said they keep the 12V outlets live all of the time, I plan on just leaving my fridge in the frunk. It'll be tied down and difficult to remove either way.

Last edited:

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer

I've seen in some of their own communications that they're looking at adding more things, and specifically that a fridge is one of them. I'm not sure exactly what the specific verbiage was, but I did for sure see it.

.....Just don't ask me to find where I saw that though :CWL:
Sponsored