Rivian Atlanta Private Preview Event feedback, pics/video

Skigh

First Name
Skigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This invitation is valid for you and one guest. Not a wedding where invited guests take their children uninvited and terrorize the event.
ET, I wasn't thinking of bringing yours.....
Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I enjoyed the Atlanta event, arriving a few minutes early and leaving after almost two hours of fun, viewing the S1 and T1 and talking with engineers, designers, one robot assembly line electrician, and R J himself. This sure beats pictures and videos for a realistic sense of what the vehicles are made for. My big take away visually is that the first Rivian’s are between mid-size and full-size vehicles. They are made for action on and off road, and so are intentionally smaller than you might expect, yet more powerful and nimble than anything put on 4 wheels here-to-for, capable of spinning on a dime, literally, as confirmed by one engineer. This is one tight package, spacious for four adults, with less leg room for a fifth passenger in the rear middle seat.

Lots more learned, but suffice to say — I am sold on Rivian. Humor to follow......

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

A friend went with me to the Atlanta event. Looking carefully into the front and rear seats of the S-1 surprisingly he could see no cup-holders. “Where are they,” he said to himself. We then asked the Rivian staff member standing there to find them for us, if he could. He, the staffer, sat in the front seat chagrined to discover there were none. “No cup-holders.” Glancing up I saw R. J. standing near by talking to people at the front of a small line forming in front of him. We joined the line. Yes we did, we had a technical question to ask “the” founder. Note: my friend owned a large new SUV with dozens of cup-holders. First, a comment, “Can’t find ‘em”, he told the CEO. Smiling, nonplussed, R. J replied, “Did you check with the staff member?” “Yes”, said friend. “Let’s go, follow me,” replied R. J. moving into the crowd to the S-1. Pausing briefly to greet and visit other guests, he then began his search by sitting in the passenger seat and feeling with his hand for cup-holders, finding none. UGH. “They belong there”. We laughed. Friend followed up with a tire question.... What a memorable interchange — with R. J. knocking it out of the park, in my opinion, getting quickly to the bottom of a simple omission important to my friend. Where are all the Rivian cup-holders?

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

There is no way I can type this without it coming across like a jerk so I will put an emoji after I say, they are the R1T and R1S, not the other way around. :giggle:

Also, I am curious to know if they in fact did not have cup holders. Did RJ never show you? I know for a fact that in the R1T, they are under the wireless charging pad in the armrest sliding out like a hidden drawer and there are 2 on the flipdown armrest in the backseat that slide out the same way. Maybe the R1S is that different, but from a mass production standpoint, I am not sure why they would be. Attached is a picture from their Instagram with the front cupholders in the R1T.

:movember:

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Atlanta Private Preview Event feedback, pics/video Screenshot_20190920-071153_Instagram

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

When the electrician and R J both searched for them in the R1S , they could not find them, and they each made more than a cursory look. The electrician investigated the back seats as well. It’s the humor of it all that we enjoyed, a blue collar guy and the CEO, each breaking stride to personally investigate the missing or hidden (concealed?) amenity. Go Rivian.

Sponsored

JessC

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model X, Ford vehicles (diesel & gas), reserved R1T
Quick question for the Atlanta attendees.... did anyone have kids there? I know it's limited space but I wonder if ours could come with us.
Yes, we saw a few groups of children. Both infants and children in the 3-9 years age range. It's worth mentioning must that the children in attendance were very well behaved. Although our children would've liked attending, I'm not sure that they would've been as calm...lol

stevegshi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ram 1500
Occupation
Electrical Engr. & Contractor, Master Electrician
Did anyone attending the Atlanta event notice that the passenger side door of both the R1T and the S1T have two window buttons? What other window do they control? We asked staff including three engineers, but everyone was stumped.
Yes, I noticed it too and took a picture of it. I asked them the same question and they did not know. o_O

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Atlanta Private Preview Event feedback, pics/video 2019-09-13 20.07.17

stevegshi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ram 1500
Occupation
No, he didn’t say anything about the differences.

I also asked two different reps about what “options” are on the R1T prototype at the event (and widely seen online). In other words, is this a base model or blinged out with options?

One rep said the only option on this model was the electronic tailgate (and the crossbars are an accessory). Another rep, said this was a “premium” build but couldn’t call out any specific options. He said most of the options/upgrades would be software related. I guess we’ll learn more in time.
I asked them what are likely to be options on the R1T. The guy said that the R1T on display is probably fully loaded and they are currently reviewing all options. He took the electronic trunk bed cover for example and said that would probably be an option kit.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Atlanta Private Preview Event feedback, pics/video 2019-09-13 19.21.26

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Did anyone attending the Atlanta event notice that the passenger side door of both the R1T and the S1T have two window buttons? What other window do they control? We asked staff including three engineers, but everyone was stumped.
Maybe one is for the window and one for the door lock? It would be odd to have them look the same, but I don't see a door lock button anywhere else on the door panel . . . unless it's the long bar ahead of the two switches?

Sponsored

stevegshi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ram 1500
Occupation
Maybe one is for the window and one for the door lock? It would be odd to have them look the same, but I don't see a door lock button anywhere else on the door panel . . . unless it's the long bar ahead of the two switches?
Just found another better picture of the passenger side door as well as a picture of the driver side. Yes, my guess for that long bar like button is for the central door lock.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Atlanta Private Preview Event feedback, pics/video 2019-09-13 20.02.37

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Atlanta Private Preview Event feedback, pics/video 2019-09-13 19.22.27

Skigh

First Name
Skigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Yes, we saw a few groups of children. Both infants and children in the 3-9 years age range. It's worth mentioning must that the children in attendance were very well behaved. Although our children would've liked attending, I'm not sure that they would've been as calm...lol
Thanks.... Our two girls are 9 and 14, they are uber polite so I think it will be fine. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Just found another better picture of the passenger side door as well as a picture of the driver side. Yes, my guess for that long bar like button is for the central door lock.
There are two "long bar" bottons on the driver side, both above & below the window switches.

I think the two window switches on the passenger side are a mistake.

Does anyone have pics of the rear doors?

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I wonder if one switch is for lowering the window partway and the other is for one-touch lowering and raising. I know most cars combine the functions into one switch, but they can require a bit of finesse. In my Honda Odyssey the combined switch is particularly sensitive, and it can be difficult to press the switch just enough to lower the window only a few inches, especially when the vehicle is moving.
Sponsored