OP
SpinDoc7

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Some video from the Atlanta event:

That green interior in the R1T, or “Forrest Edge” as they call it. Can’t ever tell from video/photos if I like it or not. Sometimes it looks like Army green, or olive drab. My first job out of college was in an office that still had 1950s-era green metal desks, and this shade looks like a throwback. Still, it might be nice to have a lighter color interior - guess I’ve always been partial to black/charcoal gray. The off-white “Lunar Rock” interior in the R1S I question whether it will stand up over time and not look grimy.
Sponsored

JessC

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model X, Ford vehicles (diesel & gas), reserved R1T
A few more things quickly:

When speaking with RJ he said the configuration I ordered (135kwh R1T with road tires) would have a range of 325-327 miles. He said that was his preferred combination.

Service - it will be nontraditional and probably hub and spoke, but white glove. All reps said their customers will expect a great service experience and they plan on providing it. Will NOT use Ford service centers. They want to control their brand and won’t outsource that. I live in Knoxville and asked how they’d service my vehicle. If they didn’t have a center in Knoxville, they’d diagnose remotely, trailer demo vehicle to me (if needed or tech would repair on site) and trailer my vehicle to a Rivian service center. Still working out details.

Parts availability - nobody could tell me the plan.

Configurator / Pricing - Said that should be going live in late Q1 ‘20 or early Q2. They said we’d definitely get tot test drive before final order confirmation. May have to travel to test drive but they’ll try to bring the vehicle as close as possible (i.e won’t have to make a trip to Normal, IL)

Asked a brand manager the best and most challenging things about working for Rivian (she was employee 163 out of ~1,000). People are the best! Loves her co-workers and believes they’re doing great things. Most challenging is the growth. She’s seen a lot in the past two years. Crazy growth and things are coming fast.

I’ll post more as I remember

Oh yeah, also got a cup and some pins.

7B234A47-621D-4A90-92DF-D151791EB341.jpeg
Godawgs- When I put a deposit down, the only specification option that was offered was the reservation of an R1T or R1S. How do I go about requesting a specific configuration?

On a side note, the mugs are nice! I'm not sure what we'll do with our pins though.

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner
Hi Jessica,

You're correct. I misspoke in my earlier post. He asked what I "planned to order", not what I ordered. Haven't selected anything yet, so we're all in the same boat right now.

JessC

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did anyone attending the Atlanta event notice that the passenger side door of both the R1T and the S1T have two window buttons? What other window do they control? We asked staff including three engineers, but everyone was stumped.

JessC

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hi Jessica,

You're correct. I misspoke in my earlier post. He asked what I "planned to order", not what I ordered. Haven't selected anything yet, so we're all in the same boat right now.
Cool- thanks!

Sponsored

Skigh

First Name
Skigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Did anyone attending the Atlanta event notice that the passenger side door of both the R1T and the S1T have two window buttons? What other window do they control? We asked staff including three engineers, but everyone was stumped.
Sounds like a good follow-up question for Seattle. Or maybe they will have removed it by then???

Skigh

First Name
Skigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Quick question for the Atlanta attendees.... did anyone have kids there? I know it's limited space but I wonder if ours could come with us.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
This invitation is valid for you and one guest. Not a wedding where invited guests take their children uninvited and terrorize the event. My comment is generalization. Some take it personal.

Last edited:

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner
Quick question for the Atlanta attendees.... did anyone have kids there? I know it's limited space but I wonder if ours could come with us.
I don’t remember seeing any kids.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

I saw at least 2 kids there, but they were pretty young. Stroller-age and were asleep most of the time.

As far as the +1 guest- Like Tesla Kim (lots of YouTube vids about Tesla’s and probably one of, if not the highest referrer of Tesla) was there with her husband filming and taking photos. She said in one of her videos that a friend had ordered one of the Rivian vehicles and they were going as guests. So I’m not really sure they care about the +1 so much, but don’t bring a party of 10 along with you.

Sponsored

TurboKirbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevrolet Volt, 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe, 2008 Chevrolet Corvette
Yes, there were a few children there. In fact, one of the Instagram posts on the official site was RJ talking with a father and son

TurboKirbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I didn't notice that, but did notice that both sides of the rear cargo area have buttons to control the 3rd row. So, that's kind of good

TurboKirbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A few other interesting things I learned this evening:
-There are paddles behind the steering wheel of both vehicles. Um, why when there's no transmission? It was explained to us that they were to be used when off road for more extreme turning via more manual control of (pretty sure) the front wheel motors.
-The headroom in the R1S at least is very high. The legroom is intended to be somewhere between a Tahoe and Suburban
-Vents in the R1S rear (remember this thing has a glass roof) will come from the upper corner at the frame.
-The colors of the calipers and the 3D color behind the Rivian logos on the doors (which look sooo nice in person) are an indication of the package that the vehicle is outfitted with. Yellow is the color of the off-road package, though as the cars are shown indoors only the R1T is outfitted with that package's knobby tires. The R1S, despite the color, has road tires
-The shorter wheelbase of the R1S actually makes it slightly more capable off road
-The frunk and rear rear liftgates are all powered. I believe this has been reported before but can confirm
I'll post more as I remember it. Be warned that I cared more about the R1S when I was chatting up the designers and engineers. Also, I was very impressed with the employees I met. Diverse, intelligent, kind, and bought in.

TurboKirbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
And, yes, the coffee cups are legit!☕
#mynewfavorite

TurboKirbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A few more:
-The show R1S has the electrochromic roof option. It does not appear to open or slide, which is preferable to me
-Employees could not comment about whether it would launch work a Sentry Mode like Tesla's
-Air-conditioned seats will be available and are installed in the show cars
Sponsored