First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Im always going to have at least 2 vehicles, we have 4 if you include the motorcycles, but I would feel comfortable keeping the R1 if a one vehicle lifestyle was feasible for me. We took a short road trip in it and it's now designated our road trip car. For me I need to know it's going to be fairly reliable if I'm going to take it many hours from home. I would take the Rivian back to where I used to live which is 1K miles from my house without any second thoughts.

I have had some minor issues with my R1 but honestly I feel it's a good truck and I don't worry about it stranding me.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Probably doable. Rivian hasn't given me a Rivian loaner ever, and they never have an EV either, so if that matters to you, is a definite consideration.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I live in the city with the highest tax rate in my state. And we get taxed again each year on the value of our vehicle, and since the government heard we like taxes so much, we get taxes for our taxes. ("yo dawg..." šŸ˜†)

Just saying, I sure hope the Rivian is reliable. Because I can't afford to be paying taxes to keep multiple vehicles around "just in case", LOL.
Sounds like time to move.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Nope. I have a big ol' heavy duty diesel for distance towing and if the Rivian craps out on me. I also wouldn't have bought an R1T without that truck in the stable already.
LOL I do not think the OP does much heavy duty distance towing if the only vehicle they have today is a Kia Telluride!

As a replacement for a Telluride it will be great.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
LOL I do not think the OP does much heavy duty distance towing if the only vehicle they have today is a Kia Telluride!

As a replacement for a Telluride it will be great.
To be fair, op didn't ask a question. Seemed to be an invitation to post about our own situations.

Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

our R1T is our only car. We've had a bit of work done over the past year but we live 20 mins from a service center and haven't had any work that took more than a half day at the service center, so with no major service it has been pretty easy. As far as a sole vehicle it is certainly a phenomenal one. Only other thing worth mentioning is its not the easiest car to loan to family when they visit. My mother is nervous to drive it, in laws don't want to, it's not the easiest to toss the keys to someone and them drive off.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I donā€™t have mine yet but it will be my only vehicle and I live about 45 minutes from the Denver SC. I expect there will be a time while I own it when it will need to stay at the SC overnight for service. Yes, that will be inconvenient, but it would be no different than if it happened with my Tacoma since that is also my only vehicle.

At least you wonā€™t be driving a VW.

Bruins06

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Viper
I had the same concern when I received my R1T one year ago, I kept my 2019 Camaro just in case. In hindsight I was being paranoid, I wish I had sold the Camaro when it was worth more.

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
This sounds like a game I've played with car friends where we ask if you had to have 1 car for the next 10 years (can't sell it, have to pay for insurance etc.) what would it be. It's got to do everything.

Range Rover and Audi RS6 are usually up there. I think I'd take a Tesla over the R1 tbh.

Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
We're a one car household and were planning to have the R1S simply replace our Kia Telluride as our sole vehicle. We understand that there's always a risk of a car being OOS for an accident or some kind of extended service and are fine with making do with a rental in that event.

Rivian is a new company though, and the R1S is one of its first products, so are wondering if relying on it as the sole means of motor transport is unrealistic.

Edit: remove wording flagged by the Department of Redundancy Department.
We have a R1T and Outback currently, my SO only uses her Outback to go to work, we use the Rivian for everything else, zero exceptions.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T MB/BM, 2023 Tesla model X.
Occupation
MD
We're a one car household and were planning to have the R1S simply replace our Kia Telluride as our sole vehicle. We understand that there's always a risk of a car being OOS for an accident or some kind of extended service and are fine with making do with a rental in that event.

Rivian is a new company though, and the R1S is one of its first products, so are wondering if relying on it as the sole means of motor transport is unrealistic.

Edit: remove wording flagged by the Department of Redundancy Department.
I hear you. We have 2 cars at home, but one of those is my wifeā€™s, which happens to be an R1S. I would feel more comfortable having a second vehicle just in case. I would go with adding a canyon red R1T with OC and 20ā€™s AT šŸ¤£

kidding aside, Iā€™ve had my truck for 8-9 months now and have only had to bring it to service once. Got a rental that time, which made me miss my Rivian and want it even more!

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
My wife and I are both retired and the R1T is our only vehicle (although we can get access to our daughter's car, if necessary. We haven't needed to exercise that option yet.) We are located within walking distance of everything we need: grocery store, restaurants, breweries, bike shops, downtown Bend, etc.

Our R1T has not been unavailable in the 8.5 months we've owned it.

Have not needed to take the truck to a SC and Rivian has a local technician, Alberto, who has come to the house three times to perform minor repairs/recall service.

Whether you can live without a car for some amount of time is only something you can decide.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I would say there are two primary rules for owning an EV like the Rivian.

Rule #1 is to have charging at your house, and fast charging nearby. With these two in place you can have the Rivian as your soul vehicle without much issue. If you forget to plug it in you can always do fast charging.

Rule #2 is to be within a few hours drive of the service center. The truth is that a significant amount of Rivians need service within the first year. Now I expect this to significantly drop with time, but its likely still pretty high.

As long as the car rental market doesn't get all screwed up like it was a couple years ago then you should be fine with the Rivian as your soul vehicle.

The plus side of having the Rivian as your soul vehicle is you don't have to drive the other vehicle occasionally just to keep the DC battery in it from dying. :)

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I've been rolling with the R1T as my only vehicle for almost a year now and so far it's been fine. The couple times it's been in for service I've had a rental or just timed appointments with work/vacation travel and just dropped off at the SC on the way to the airport.
Sponsored