Sponsored

Rivian as sole vehicle?

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
We're a one car household and were planning to have the R1S simply replace our Kia Telluride as our sole vehicle. We understand that there's always a risk of a car being OOS for an accident or some kind of extended service and are fine with making do with a rental in that event.

Rivian is a new company though, and the R1S is one of its first products, so are wondering if relying on it as the sole means of motor transport is unrealistic.

Edit: remove wording flagged by the Department of Redundancy Department.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

R1T is my only vehicle and I have been fine, sure it's annoying when the truck is in for service but they have offered a rental or a loaner every time so it's only been a small sacrifice.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Sounds like you already have it pretty well sorted - rental for things that your primary vehicle doesnā€™t handle well. Iā€™d say youā€™ll be just fine.

We have 3 cars in the house, but 3 drivers, who go 3 different places every day. So the R1T is *my* only car, I guess?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I've "owned" my R1T for 11 months. In that time I've been without it for about 4 months, cumulatively. Rivian service takes forever and they never resolve the issues fully so it has to keep going back.

I wouldn't rely on the vehicle as your primary transport, let alone your only transport.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

It has been my only vehicle for about 8 months now. Going in for service for the first time at the end of the month for what is most likely the 12v battery issue (software won't update). Solid aside from that.

Sponsored

bummin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23R1S, 22WRX
Occupation
Whatever the wife says to do
Have had mine 10 months, only had to leave overnight once to allow time to replace parts for wind noise issue. Denver has always corrected my issues on the 1st appointment. I am selling my Ram and running our R1T as an only vehicle until wife's R1S shows up sometime before I die. Personally I have no issues or concerns having Rivian as only vehicle.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
So far they have been good at loaners it sounds like, which is critical, because they absolutely don't have service figured out yet. Sure some have great experiences, but many dont... and only vehicle means loaner helps alot when your rivian sits in their possession collecting dust.

But...and for me it is big....distance to service center... since it takes them often multiple tries to fix your issues, you have to make that trip multiple times. And I work...alot...and lost time is lost money. And my ability to make money drops off driving back and forth to Rivian for service to fix things.

So consider that....even more than the vehicle itself and if it will need service.

It is truly an amazing vehicle. One I can't even think of anything I would replace it today with. But next vehicle is up for grabs...and if service is much better....I would easily get another....but if not...Hopefully somebody makes something like it that has better service.

HeresRonnie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Gambler
In my house, we went all electric in the early days of Tesla and we are still all electric with a Rivian/Tesla split(hopefully full Rivian s00n). Zero issues on reliability or any troubles. Granted we have 2 vehicles but if push came to shove thereā€™s rentals, Uber, etc. Itā€™s no different if you lost your ICE vehicle, youā€™d get a loaner in that situation too. If anything Iā€™ve had way more reliability in my EVs than ICE cars in almost 10 years of making the switch over.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Nope. I have a big ol' heavy duty diesel for distance towing and if the Rivian craps out on me. I also wouldn't have bought an R1T without that truck in the stable already.

Sponsored

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Keep in mind youā€™re going to get the horror stories and maintenance issue responses on this forum. Not saying theyā€™re without merit, just consider your audience.

Our R1T is our sole daily driver. Weā€™ve had it six months and havenā€™t had any issues. It been a reliable vehicle. Other Rivian owners in my area have told me the same thing.

I would not have major concerns about it being your only vehicle. Also, Rivian will provide a loaner/rental if needed.

maddave12

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo XC90, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Selfless supporter of the economy
Clubs

+1 to the sentiment that proximity to a service center is critical. When Rivian can't (or won't) tackle a problem with a mobile tech visit, then I've got a 3-hour round trip to make, twice (once leaving the vehicle, once reclaiming it) in addition to however long they keep it for.

TBH, as much as I love it when it's working, I wouldn't have it as my only vehicle at this point. I could get my Kia worked on with very little delay within 30 minutes of any place I've lived.

cypressroots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

We are a family of 4 +dog and the R1S is our only car! We live 30 min from a service center. Making it work so far!

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
Moved from Hyundai Palisades to R1S 6 months and itā€™s the primary ride for everything, including long drives. My wife has a car for commute but thatā€™s purely for commute, we donā€™t even use that for short grocery run. R1S also offers more space.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I live in the city with the highest tax rate in my state. And we get taxed again each year on the value of our vehicle, and since the government heard we like taxes so much, we get taxes for our taxes. ("yo dawg..." šŸ˜†)

Just saying, I sure hope the Rivian is reliable. Because I can't afford to be paying taxes to keep multiple vehicles around "just in case", LOL.
Sponsored