First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The first modelling I did was for 10K .....then we assumed in this forum what if the count was 30K. Rivian's lack of publicly stating the #s is making us take an educated guess with the sampling we have. If anyone gets any data on the # of pre-orders, plz post it and we can re-run the numbers.
I can throw out a number based on crude data. I wouldn't take it too seriously though.

Tesla has let slip enough information to suggest that their reservations number for the CT is around 750000. The Cybertruck Owners Club forum lists 6843 registered members. Thus, apparently, one out of every 110 people who reserves a CT is excited enough about it to join a forum exclusively devoted to discussing it. Assuming that those who reserve a Rivian are equally inclined to go online about it and given that this forum has 1145 registered members we can calculate that Rivian has 750000*1145/6843 = 125493 pre orders.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
How do we think Rivian will mix in R1S production when it begins?

Let's assume that by August, R1T production has ramped up to 200 vehicles per week. Do we think it more likely that the addition of the R1S to the line will add to that bumping total output to say 300 units per week? Or do we think it more likely that they will cut back on R1T production at that point to maintain 200 vehicles per week total output while introducing the R1S to the line before trying to further increase total output?

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
That's true. The first modelling I did was for 10K .....then we assumed in this forum what if the count was 30K. Rivian's lack of publicly stating the #s is making us take an educated guess with the sampling we have. If anyone gets any data on the # of pre-orders, plz post it and we can re-run the numbers.
I now feel pretty confident the number of actual Rivian preorders (not including cancellations), is around 30K.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Announces New Timelines - R1T Delivery Begins June 2021 and R1S in August 2021. Pilot Production Starts 20200730_1355

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
I now feel pretty confident the number of actual Rivian preorders (not including cancellations), is around 30K.

20200730_1355.png
Love the graph @skyote . Is it based on the data I have out or is it some other source ?

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
How do we think Rivian will mix in R1S production when it begins?

Let's assume that by August, R1T production has ramped up to 200 vehicles per week. Do we think it more likely that the addition of the R1S to the line will add to that bumping total output to say 300 units per week? Or do we think it more likely that they will cut back on R1T production at that point to maintain 200 vehicles per week total output while introducing the R1S to the line before trying to further increase total output?
I think it will be more of the latter if they are using the same assembly line. I wish they had parallel lines. We do not know enough at this point though as they are still building the lines.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I think it will be more of the latter if they are using the same assembly line. I wish they had parallel lines. We do not know enough at this point though as they are still building the lines.
They have already indicated there will be 4 lines (I've got a post around here somewhere with a link to the article documenting that). One for battery packs, one for skateboards, one for high content top hats (R1S/T) and one for low content top hats (Amazon vans).

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
An interesting analogue is Tesla's roll-out / ramp-up of the Model 3. Despite all differences between the two companies, they are both young or start-up auto manufacturers.

In August of 2017, just as it was starting production - with a target of 5k/wk, Tesla stated that it had 455k reservations (net of 63K reservations refunded by that date). In June of 2018, they opened orders to all reservation holders and one month later, they opened to non-reservation holders. At that time, they stated that about 24% of their reservations had been refunded. All these reservations were $1,000 (not the $100 birthday gift equivalent they now offer for the Cybertruck).

By the end of 2018, Tesla had produced and sold about 150K Model 3s with production finally hitting about 5K/wk in Q4. So it took them about 5 quarters to get their intended production rate. At the end of Q1 2019, they had produced about 210K model 3s, about 50% of the quantity of reservations net of refunds. Starting in Q4 of 2018, but definitely Q1 2019, you could put in a new order for a Model 3 (no reservation) and expect to receive your car in 8 weeks.

Obviously, some of these reservation holders were hoping for the $35K version which didn't come until mid 2019. But, it's not clear if many of them ever ended up making orders at the $37/39K level that was offered. By the second half of 2019, Tesla was delivering Model 3s into Europe where demand was strong for higher priced variants.

So how does this apply to Rivian:
1) Prioritized orders for the highly optioned / 180k&135k battery will likely get significant order preference.
2) Reservations don't convert to orders anywhere near 1:1. A reduction of at least 25% should be expected. Also, reservation holders that do convert may not do so right away (for whatever reasons).
3) It can take 12-15 months to ramp up to a steady state or target production rate. Rivian may be able to do better here because the pilot line will be up for ~10 months.
4) Whether the Amazon vans impact R1T and R1S production is a huge and unknown variable. My guess is that it's separate. But that's just a guess.
5) Unless Rivian pre-orders are VERY different in nature from Model 3, everyone should have a chance to get delivery of their car within 12-18 months of June 2021. That may not be too pleasant to hear for early reservation holders, but they'll have cars by the end of next year so they'll have something to smile about.

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
I might have missed this. Do we know how many vehicles they plan to produce on the pilot line?

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
I might have missed this. Do we know how many vehicles they plan to produce on the pilot line?
I'm pretty sure that we don't know how many vehicles they plan to produce on the pilot line. I doubt that they know. How many they produce will probably be dependent on how many problems that they discover as they run the pilot line.

Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
I doubt if it's so casual, John. Regardless of the number of problems, the ramp up will increase week by week because the whole point of a pilot line is to reach certain levels of production without too many problems. In other words, how many problems occur at different production volumes?

There will be a ramp-up to something like 20 vehicles per day or a 100 per week with acceptable levels of defects (whatever the number is). Once the target ramp-up is realized, whatever the target number are, folks from the pilot line will take what they learned and begin applying it at a greater scale on regular transfer lines. The plan for higher volume production will begin albeit at very carefully scheduled and monitored intervals.

I'm sure it's all laid out in great detail. The question is, can the daily and weekly pilot line targets - what levels of production at what numbers of defects - be realized?

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
I doubt if it's so casual
I didn't say or mean it was casual. If you discover problems, then you might have to rework the process. The more problems you discover the more reworking you have to do. If you set it up and run it at any set amount and have no problems, then you proceed more quickly to the finish line than if you find problems. So, the more problems you have increases the number of cars produced in the pilot production process. I'm sure that they have a speed of production that they would want to reach before they scale up, but the number of cars that need to produced to get to that point is unknown.

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
On the other RIVIAN Forum (RIVIAN Owners.com) someone posted weekly planned 2021 production numbers for the RIT & R1S. The Poster claims to be an ex Sr Executive of the Company. There is no way to confirm that any of the info provided is real. The info was shown on a spreadsheet that looked official. What it shows is total 2021 production of 10,000 units ( 7,000 RIT,3,000 R1S). The RIT Production, starting 5/31 peaks at 420 units per week and the R1S, starting 9/20/21( this seems late) at 275 units per week. If any of this is accurate RIVIAN sold 10,000 LE units. Again this info could just be someone posting info under the Company’s name. I originally thought they might have sold more but 10,000 units for a start up is not bad for half a year.

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
On the other RIVIAN Forum (RIVIAN Owners.com) someone posted weekly planned 2021 production numbers for the RIT & R1S. The Poster claims to be an ex Sr Executive of the Company. There is no way to confirm that any of the info provided is real. The info was shown on a spreadsheet that looked official. What it shows is total 2021 production of 10,000 units ( 7,000 RIT,3,000 R1S). The RIT Production, starting 5/31 peaks at 420 units per week and the R1S, starting 9/20/21( this seems late) at 275 units per week. If any of this is accurate RIVIAN sold 10,000 LE units. Again this info could just be someone posting info under the Company’s name. I originally thought they might have sold more but 10,000 units for a start up is not bad for half a year.
Since RIVIAN has stated that R1S production would start in August the posted info is obviously not current. The person posting didn’t say when they left RIVIAN.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Since RIVIAN has stated that R1S production would start in August the posted info is obviously not current. The person posting didn’t say when they left RIVIAN.
It was originally reported the Mark Vinnels left Rivian 27 August of this year. The poster in [Banned Site] is named Mark Vinnells w/ 2 Ls. I also cant imagine that someone of his caliber would do that scorned or not. Why post that in an internet forum...? Who knows? Seems suspect...but it's 2020...
Sponsored