Sponsored

Rivian announces 7-Seat version with longer range

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
No I'm not. ABRP uses the EPA model to make it's predictions. If the EPA model is invaliid ABRP would not work. It's a simple question. Do you think ABRP is worthless?

If the shoe fits....

It isn't. It is based on engineering principles. It is true that not everyone agrees with what the science says (the Flat Earth Society still exists) and those of us who adhere to the scientific approach recognize, or should recognize, that we can't convince Flat Earthers.
I hope I don’t drive off the edge! I may end up a few miles short in my model 3.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I hope I don’t drive off the edge! I may end up a few miles short in my model 3.
You shouldn't. The S has software on board which gives you a very good picture of what is going on - if you know how to use it. it obviously relies on the rated consumption but can calculate deviations from that based on terrain and speed limit. What it doesn't do is weather (it could do that but Tesla would have to buy the data in bulk at a substantial cost). I don't think it's rocket science but my wife assures me she has no idea what it means and I've seen plenty of reports of people who have 'driven off the edge' with it. As you might expect they blame the software - no their failure to learn how to use it.

Now A Better Route Planner is "better" in the sense that you can put in an adjustment to consumption and I think the fee based version does buy the weather data. and include it. i find the Tesla in-car navigation system more than adequate and so use that rather than fiddle with a cell phone while driving. One of the things I am most looking forward to is seeing how Rivian handles this.

yellowcello

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Mercedes GL350, Audi Q5 TDI, Deere 2030, Case-IH
Interesting that within hours of posting this we see that the Tesla Model S now offers EPA rating of 409 miles thus putting it ahead of Lucid and making Rivian's 300 mile early release even more of a disappointment to many. The improvement apparently comes from software tweaks.
Yup. A sizable letdown IMO and I'm considering cancelling my SUV reservation. Three-hundred miles just isn't enough and in real-world conditions will be less.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Not sure what I was thinking when I posted that but the latest is that you can now order the Plaid S with range over 500 mi.

Sponsored

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Not sure what I was thinking when I posted that but the latest is that you can now order the Plaid S with range over 500 mi.
Starting at the bargain price of $140,000.

yellowcello

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Last edited:

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
battery anxiety or clarity is so hard because they're are many variables to consider. I have a Tesla M3 Performance. its 14 months old and my range has dropped from 310 miles on full charge to about 290. As many have opined, it only matters when I"m going on a road trip. To complicate things for me, I am the king of lead foot. Seldom ever go slower than 85 mph on CA freeways. That beats the heck out of my range. My work drive is 30 miles door to door. With my driving habit, I routinely whack 50 miles off of my range only going 30. Its my hope to get at least 280 miles on my "foot" from the large pack. biggest concern is that the Rivian charging infrastructure is inferior to the Tesla. That's where Tesla hit a home run. They built out a pretty impressive charging infrastructure. I hope Rivian will do the same in time. BEV's are the future. Now companies need to figure outhow to monetize it. Someone will.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
battery anxiety or clarity is so hard because they're are many variables to consider. I have a Tesla M3 Performance. its 14 months old and my range has dropped from 310 miles on full charge to about 290. As many have opined, it only matters when I"m going on a road trip. To complicate things for me, I am the king of lead foot. Seldom ever go slower than 85 mph on CA freeways. That beats the heck out of my range. My work drive is 30 miles door to door. With my driving habit, I routinely whack 50 miles off of my range only going 30. Its my hope to get at least 280 miles on my "foot" from the large pack. biggest concern is that the Rivian charging infrastructure is inferior to the Tesla. That's where Tesla hit a home run. They built out a pretty impressive charging infrastructure. I hope Rivian will do the same in time. BEV's are the future. Now companies need to figure outhow to monetize it. Someone will.
Coming from driving a Tesla also, I've always thought that the Super Charger Network is one of Tesla's biggest advantages over up-and-coming rivals (that and their technology, obviously). One of my only reservations on switching to a Rivian is the charging network (or lack thereof at the outset). So I started messing around on A Better Route Planner (changing my vehicle to a large pack R1T) on some of the more common trips I take from Atlanta, and it turns out there are chargers along the route(s) that work just fine. And they aren't off the beaten path at all - they tend to be right off of the interstate exits. They're mostly Electrify America chargers. I haven't tracked the buildout of other networks because, frankly, I never cared before. I was pretty pleased and surprised that, for me at least, the other charging networks should work just fine. It will only get better over time, too.

yellowcello

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In total agreement.
Sponsored