Rivian announces 7-Seat version with longer range

mbm

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Aston Martin V12 Vantage S, Porsche Turbo S, BAC Mono, Tesla Model X
They just sent email and in the text it says they will announce a version of the R1S with seven seats and the largest battery. But the announcement won't come until after production starts. Anybody have more information?
Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

yea, I saw that, makes it real hard to make the decision. Someone will need to whip up an app so you can put in your order date and see the projected delivery of all the versions on a timeline so you can optimize your selection :)

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Depends on the pricing for me too. I’d certainly opt for the larger battery pack if the price is right.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The real question now is what will this "longer" range actually be. There is a good chance it may not be 400 miles, see my post here.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
The real question now is what will this "longer" range actually be. There is a good chance it may not be 400 miles, see my post here.
That's a pretty interesting point. As they refine their wording, they are pretty clear that the "Large" pack in the R1T is 300+, and the "Max" pack is 400+, and then they get vague again on the R1S larger capacity.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
That's a pretty interesting point. As they refine their wording, they are pretty clear that the "Large" pack in the R1T is 300+, and the "Max" pack is 400+, and then they get vague again on the R1S larger capacity.
We know each Rivian battery module is 15 kWh, so there is a chance that a "longer range R1S" could be 165 instead of 180.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
We know each Rivian battery module is 15 kWh, so there is a chance that a "longer range R1S" could be 165 instead of 180.
Geometry may dictate another module permutation in order to fit and still allow the 7 seat option. Dropping a single module would produce an asymmetry between left/right sides. Perhaps 2 smaller capacity modules retaining the stacked cells or perhaps even a half height variant with cells on only one side of the cooling plate. I think they're going to have to get really creative otherwise they would have supported this for the 7 seater from the outset.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Geometry may dictate another module permutation in order to fit and still allow the 7 seat option. Dropping a single module would produce an asymmetry between left/right sides. Perhaps 2 smaller capacity modules retaining the stacked cells or perhaps even a half height variant with cells on only one side of the cooling plate. I think they're going to have to get really creative otherwise they would have supported this for the 7 seater from the outset.
The 105 & 135 are already asymmetrical in that they are odd numbers of modules, 180 is the only option with an even #.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The 105 & 135 are already asymmetrical in that they are odd numbers of modules, 180 is the only option with an even #.
Didn't they say previously the 105 wasn't using the same modules? Regardless, an odd number of modules can be supported, ideally along the center line. Existing pictures would seem to indicate the odd module is slightly offset but there is other equipment adjacent to the odd module to help balance things out. With the taper of the pack required to allow for the fender wells, they really don't have space for 2 side by side at that end of the pack. With existing module geometry it really doesn't appear they have anywhere to go but up on the R1S and when trying to package 3rd row seating it wouldn't buy you anything to remove a module from one side but not the other.

To go from 135 to 180 in increments of 15 would require 3 modules. With the 5 seat variant at least 2 of the modules cut into foot/seat space for the 3rd row. I could possible see dropping those 2 modules while still being able to squeeze in 1 more module somewhere (not sure where exactly that would go on the 5 seat variant). If they were working with only the existing 15 kWh modules, I would think a 150 kWh pack would be more likely than a 165 kWh but that would only net a little over 30 extra miles. This is why I think they might be looking to get more creative. To make it worthwhile vs the 135 kWh pack, if they cant reach 400 miles I think they're going to need to get the range up to at least the 360-380 range. If their efficiency is actually a lot better than they are advertising at the moment, perhaps they think there is a chance they can get there with only one extra 15 kWh module but perhaps with a lot less confidence until they can validate through testing. Who knows what they're really up to. This is all speculation at this point.

yellowcello

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Mercedes GL350, Audi Q5 TDI, Deere 2030, Case-IH
I'm interested in a range longer than 300 miles that might do 270 miles real-world. I drive a Tesla Model 3 Performance and feel lucky if I get 280-ish hwy.

R1S configuration doesn't currently offer a max pack range.

Is the suggestion to wait for the max pack config option to show up for the R1S, hoping that it will be 400 miles or thereabout?

I've pre-ordered the R1T and R1S.

Sponsored

mpbaker2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328i xDrive Sport Wagon
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

Just had a conversation with someone over chat on the longer battery for the R1S, and this was the response:

"I can also confirm that we currently no longer have plans to offer the 400+ battery pack option for the R1S at this time. We do plan to announce more on a larger battery pack than the 300+ option currently available (this time including the option for the 7-seat interior) as well as a 250+ option after production the Launch Edition vehicles begin, but it's likely not going to be the 400+."

He clarified that plans to announce after production begins does not mean they will be immediately available.

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Just had a conversation with someone over chat on the longer battery for the R1S, and this was the response:

"I can also confirm that we currently no longer have plans to offer the 400+ battery pack option for the R1S at this time. We do plan to announce more on a larger battery pack than the 300+ option currently available (this time including the option for the 7-seat interior) as well as a 250+ option after production the Launch Edition vehicles begin, but it's likely not going to be the 400+."

He clarified that plans to announce after production begins does not mean they will be immediately available.

That’s really interesting. Clearly the 400+ mile battery pack for the R1S has hit some serious road blocks.

OP
OP

mbm

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s really interesting. Clearly the 400+ mile battery pack for the R1S has hit some serious road blocks.
Well, I think they decided not to do the original 400+ mile version that required the 3rd row to be removed and would impinge on storage space.

So it sounds like they are attempting an "in-between" solution where you can get more than 300+ solution but can still have the option to have the third row etc. This means they will try to either getting higher density packs or package a few more packs but not enough for 400+.

Thus I would expect something like a 350+ or 375+ solution for the R1S eventually with the option for 5 or 7 seats.

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Well, I think they decided not to do the original 400+ mile version that required the 3rd row to be removed and would impinge on storage space.

So it sounds like they are attempting an "in-between" solution where you can get more than 300+ solution but can still have the option to have the third row etc. This means they will try to either getting higher density packs or package a few more packs but not enough for 400+.

Thus I would expect something like a 350+ or 375+ solution for the R1S eventually with the option for 5 or 7 seats.
Yeah, I get it. I was all set to order a 5 seat R1S with the larger battery pack, but everything has fairly quickly changed over the past week. Seems like they could’ve made an announcement before now.

Not a big gripe, but all the videos, website information, interviews etc. always used the 400 mile range as a selling point. It seems like the R1S may be the red headed step child of the R1T.

OP
OP

mbm

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I get it. I was all set to order a 5 seat R1S with the larger battery pack, but everything has fairly quickly changed over the past week. Seems like they could’ve made an announcement before now.

Not a big gripe, but all the videos, website information, interviews etc. always used the 400 mile range as a selling point. It seems like the R1S may be the red headed step child of the R1T.
Totally agree with you. For those that were willing to sacrifice the third row for the 400+ option on R1S - it seems you are out of luck and I understand your frustration.

My guess is they got a bunch of feedback on both sides and decided to try and thread the needle. But in the end, I think they upset both sides.
Sponsored