kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

For as long as I can remember, I have been a car fanboy.

I probably got it from my dad, who for the majority of his career, worked for General Motors in Europe. When I was a kid, he would take me to car shows, and we’d stand in the rain at the World Rally Championship waiting for racers to zoom by. When I was really lucky, we’d get to go to the GM proving grounds and test new, unreleased cars.

Prior to the digital era, this is what it meant to be a part of this community: exchanging excited glances with other car-show goers, debating whether Michèle Mouton driving for Audi would finally clench the World Rally Championship from Jimmy McRae driving for Vauxhall , and learning from engineers at the proving grounds why front wheel drive cars were the next big thing. (Don’t tell my dad, but I was more a fan of Audi, Michèle Mouton and 4-wheel drive.)

My latest car obsession — and what I think is the next great American car company — is Rivian. They are the first automaker to commercially launch a fully electric pickup truck, besting GM and Ford. As of this writing, Rivian has 90K pre-orders for their trucks and SUVs, and a multi-year wait list for delivery. By all accounts, the Rivian R1T is a stellar vehicle — it was just named MotorTrend’s truck of the year — and one that has catalyzed several Rivian-mania communities. As you’ve probably guessed, I’m a proud member of all of them. There’s Rivian Stories that is focused on sharing your Rivian ownership adventures, Rivian Owners North American for reservation holders only and even a Norcal Rivian Group, for those in northern California, to name just a few. Discussion topics range from the existential crisis one member is having over the color choice (totally get it, debating between Forest Green and El Cap Granite), to sharing your configuration, order and delivery date, or troubleshooting new car issues.

... cont on link
Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Great article. I expected it to go into the classic ICE resistor angle, did not see the community topic coming.

Cheers RF.

Last edited: