Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Despite the uninformed banter at the conclusion, the produced piece itself is very good and undoubtedly motivated some viewers to visit Rivian’s site and submit a reservation.
Poor bastards....they have no idea of the roller coaster of emotions that will SooN come
Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I'm excited to be an early adopter of the R1S (hopefully < 3 months from delivery)...been waiting a looooong time, and I feel <know> it will be worth it.
Great build!

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I think they missed an opportunity to note that Tesla didn't start off making $35k Model 3s. They worked up (or down?) to that point after launching with the much more expensive Model S. Rivian is on the same path with the R2 line coming in at a cheaper price point. I doubt they will ever have a Model 3 competitor but will likely get a lot more potential Model Y customers to cross-shop with an R2 product.
Lots of misinformation out there.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
People always get hung up on the price. I had my truck pulled up in front of the Lowe's to load some shelving (750lbs worth, didn't even realize it was back there driving home) and a guy walked by and muttered "overpriced".

I got defensive "It's about the same as a TRX"

He replied "But a TRX will smoke that. "
I would have told him, "Yeah, but it has a much bigger gas tank" and walked away.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

RJ responded exactly like I have on a different thread by pointing to what TESLA went through when the reporter asked him about Musk's comments on tracking to bankruptcy.

Well played, RJ. Well played.

Then CBS rolls footage of Amazon and Bezos and his investment.

Great minds think alike. :)

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

RJ responded exactly like I have on a different thread by pointing to what TESLA went through when the reporter asked him about Musk's comments on tracking to bankruptcy.

Well played, RJ. Well played.

Then CBS rolls footage of Amazon and Bezos and his investment.

Great minds think alike. :)
I liked that RJ took the high road and gave Elon the benefit of the doubt (which he certainly doesn't deserve in this instance) regarding his intentions.

We all know that if the roles were reversed and RJ had said something negative about Tesla's business model, Musk would be coming out guns blazing.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I liked that RJ took the high road and gave Elon the benefit of the doubt (which he certainly doesn't deserve in this instance) regarding his intentions.

We all know that if the roles were reversed and RJ had said something negative about Tesla's business model, Musk would be coming out guns blazing.
It was a very smart move by RJ to not give Musk any ammunition. The last thing RJ or RIVIAN needs is to get into a war of tweets with "MElon" Musk.

You heard it here first - cite appropriately!! :)

Last edited:

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

What a good response to that bait question. I know its hard to avoid, but I wish people would talk more to Rivian as its own company rather than compare to Tesla all the time.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
People always get hung up on the price. I had my truck pulled up in front of the Lowe's to load some shelving (750lbs worth, didn't even realize it was back there driving home) and a guy walked by and muttered "overpriced".

I got defensive "It's about the same as a TRX"

He replied "But a TRX will smoke that. "

I chuckled and directed him to the YouTube videos.

The point being: It's $80k, but for what you get it's priced appropriately. And, no it's not for everyone, nor is a Range Rover.

But, they uber point is really we need EVs with range down around $35k. Hopefully Fisker remains viable and the Pear isn't too weird for mainstream folks.
It won’t go away until Rivians equivalent of a Model Y comes out. I went through the same thing with my Teslas.

I literally had spreadsheets that showed my 5 year cost of ownership of a $65,000 Model S was cheaper than a fully loaded Nissan Maxima. My $78,000 Model X was cheaper than a fully loaded Ford Explorer. None of it mattered, in peoples heads they were $100k+ cars for the rich , spendy, and trendy.

Now? People tell me I got an amazing deal because “you paid what? My model Y costs that” “AND you have free supercharging? For life?!? What a steal!”

I suspect this will be the same. The dual motor version will help, but they need to get them into the hands of masses to stop the cost/value perception. Until then, for my situation. 5 year cost of ownership is lower than a fully loaded Jeep Gladiator and equal to a fully loaded Honda Ridgeline.

And being a current Ridgeline owner. Nobody is looking at me thinking I’m a baller who’s overspending on my car. If anything they look at me thinking I’m going to an excel party with the latest Ti-85.

Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

When folks talk about price I say go buy a new GMC Yukon/Denali with a lesser interior, horrible gas mileage and more for $90+k. Nothing is cheap in today's ecocnomy!

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
What!? Ti-89 is where its at. At least it was for me in the early 2000s........
Spoiled millennials. Back in my day I would put my Ti-81 uphill both ways in the snow to class…we had to make our own games. We didn’t have built in games.
Sponsored