First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Was wondering why RIVN jumped almost 11% today... now I know why.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I see what's in this for both. Mercedes gets to take advantage of Rivian's expertise in EV mass production while Rivian gets to produce and sell their Vans in Europe without dealing with the massive capital investment of building a factory. Interesting to say the least.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
This may turn out to be bigger than many realize. It could be a perfect cash cow for Rivian to simply provide electric Van skate boards to companies like Mercedes. I'm all for it if it helps provide cash to pursue other vehicles.

It also gives Rivian access to the European market which is huge.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
Surprised this isn’t getting more attention on this forum as it could be a massive deal for Rivian.

Another article about the announcement
Oh, it got attention, to the tune of 10.9% jump in stock price. Win, win in my opinion, mainly because of Europe's intense pressure on EVs. I was semi-stunned to believe that all of Mercedes aims to have all of their delivery vehicles be EV by 2025. I'll believe that when I see it. Their ICE delivery vehicles are like locusts all over Europe. Are they gonna sell their existing ones all to Asia and Africa? Seems likely. I have to assume that existing companies using their vehicles will be able to remain on the road to a certain extent - haven't followed Europe's EV regulatory mandates too closely, especially commercial vehicles. Regardless, I don't see how Mercedes can achieve that lofty and transitionary goal in the next 28 mos.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

This may turn out to be bigger than many realize. It could be a perfect cash cow for Rivian to simply provide electric Van skate boards to companies like Mercedes. I'm all for it if it helps provide cash to pursue other vehicles.

It also gives Rivian access to the European market which is huge.
The nature of the agreement is somewhat vague at this stage. I could certainly see an agreement that involves Rivian providing skateboards to Mercedes to add a body to as a way to circumvent the exclusivity agreement. Then again, based on the reporting it could just be cost sharing on a manufacturing facility. Even then, Rivian gets a win because they get Mercedes cost sharing and their local expertise navigating local politics and labor to springboard European operations.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Still seems very preliminary, but it does make sense for both.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Oh, it got attention, to the tune of 10.9% jump in stock price. Win, win in my opinion, mainly because of Europe's intense pressure on EVs. I was semi-stunned to believe that all of Mercedes aims to have all of their delivery vehicles be EV by 2025. I'll believe that when I see it. Their ICE delivery vehicles are like locusts all over Europe. Are they gonna sell their existing ones all to Asia and Africa? Seems likely. I have to assume that existing companies using their vehicles will be able to remain on the road to a certain extent - haven't followed Europe's EV regulatory mandates too closely, especially commercial vehicles. Regardless, I don't see how Mercedes can achieve that lofty and transitionary goal in the next 28 mos.
Well, I guess we'll see how the Mercedes bendz...
Sponsored