Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Sorry, but I’m not buying the “because some people love loud cars then EV owners should be OK with their cars making unnecessary noise” argument.
That was neither an argument or justification, simply providing some perspective on the reality of the sounds of the world we live in.
Sponsored

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
What year is your Bolt? Mine is a 2017 and makes hardly any noise.
I had a 2017 and updated to a DCFC 2019. Both made the same white noise type sound when going slow. We needed silence for wildlife photography, so pulled the fuses.

James

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MDX, ACCORD
Occupation
Retired Teacher, Reading Coach
Just a thought on this topic. I hope we Rivian owners will be able to choose our own sounds to play at low speeds. I am thinking of the sound of a diesel engine accelerating. I'd fit right in with the larger trucks and won't be coal rolled.

srwaxalot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
WXR. KIA Niro plugin
the issue is loud enough, but not too loud. My Kia Niro 2019 is loud enough; it makes a kind of musical warble, not obnoxious. It has alerted people in parking lots. Niro EV forums report that the 2020 version wakes the neighbors. A better standard is in order.
I’m in a 2019 Niro plugin. The only time I can really hear the noise is in drive thoughts with the windows down. Like you said it’s a nice wobble but a bit high pitched. Anywhere else Windows up or down I don’t seem to notice.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I’m in a 2019 Niro plugin. The only time I can really hear the noise is in drive thoughts with the windows down. Like you said it’s a nice wobble but a bit high pitched. Anywhere else Windows up or down I don’t seem to notice.
The rules changed and 2020+ models will have a significantly different/louder noise on most EVs. The sounds manufacturers used prior to 2020 didn't meet the new requirements.

MarkB

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 1500HD
I really wish they'd allow you to upload your own sounds...kind of like a ringtone on your phone! I'd start with the sound of Godzilla powering up that blue flame of his!

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
The rules changed and 2020+ models will have a significantly different/louder noise on most EVs. The sounds manufacturers used prior to 2020 didn't meet the new requirements.
No disputing, but strange because the regs have been in place for years.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I really wish they'd allow you to upload your own sounds...kind of like a ringtone on your phone! I'd start with the sound of Godzilla powering up that blue flame of his!

Tesla is doing that...fart noises and goat sounds are popular...I'd go with the goats...

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
No disputing, but strange because the regs have been in place for years.
They actually haven't been. NHTSA FMVSS141 is required for MY '21 and newer.

Sponsored

jayazusa

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Prius
Occupation
Technology
It might confuse the kids and even some dogs but how about this sound for the Amazon vans? :CWL:

Now that would be really funny if it went faster as you went faster, really throw people off.

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60

Not a sound I would associate with Godzilla! That sound was in one of the Crocodile Dundee movies. So reminds me of down under.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
They actually haven't been. NHTSA FMVSS141 is required for MY '21 and newer.
It keeps getting delayed for full implementation. There is a 50% fleet requirement during phase in, and full compliance by a later date. Both have been pushed back 6 months after a petition by the Alliance of Automobile Innovation. Model year is actually irrelevant to the rule, but instead date of production.

Short version is that 50% of a manufacturers fleet must comply for vehicles produced thru Feb 2021. All vehicles produced starting March 1st, 2021 are required to comply.

The phase-in requirement for FMVSS 141, as modified by the 2018 rule issued in response to several petitions for reconsideration, began on September 1, 2019, with full compliance slated to begin on September 1, 2020.
In general, the Agency has determined that disruptions to the auto industry caused by the COVID-19 public health emergency were unforeseeable and have rendered otherwise valid compliance plans impracticable and potentially even impossible. The difficulties caused by the COVID-19 public health emergency continue to hinder production.
The new phase-in period will begin March 1, 2020, and end February 28, 2021. For manufacturers that intend to meet the phase-in requirement based on their previous three-year production volumes, the average fleet size will remain the average the annual production volumes of hybrid and electric vehicles from September 1, 2016 to August 31, 2019. The Agency is not changing the required 50 percent phase-in percentage.
The Agency has determined that the continuing effects of the COVID-19 public health emergency have rendered the full compliance mandate for vehicles manufactured after September 1, 2020 impracticable. To address this practical impossibility, NHTSA is deferring the date for full compliance to March 1, 2021.
Sponsored