First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Hadn't thought of this before, but I really hope you can turn the noise off when out in the middle of nowhere.
Clearly the vehicle will know where it is from GPS and could be programmed to turn this thing off whenever off road or when on a road in an area deemed rural enough.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I just pulled the fuse for the pedestrian sound on my Chevy Bolt...hoping to do the same on the Riv.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
My neighborhood is full of Tesla’s. I hear them making noise when in reverse, but theyre all silent when cruising slowly through the neighborhood. certainly none make a noise like the video of the Amazon van.

If it’s a law to make this noise, should I assume that each of my neighbors has somehow disabled the noisemaker in their Tesla?

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Currently driving a Honda Clarity (yes, I'm willing to admit it) and its pedestrian-alert sound is also louder than you would think, especially reversing. Even forward motion has it up to some speed (20 mph?) or it just can't be heard inside the car after that rate.

Funny thing is I kind of dig it because it sounds like a host of angels hitting a single octave note. Like a choir in a cathedral. Really, its oddly relaxing and peaceful sounding.

Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
The deadline to enable it was pushed back due to the pandemic, so technically, it isn't required yet.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Clearly the vehicle will know where it is from GPS and could be programmed to turn this thing off whenever off road or when on a road in an area deemed rural enough.
I hope that isn't the case. Every time an auto manufacturer tries to implement geo-fencing to lock out features it always fails to work properly.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The deadline to enable it was pushed back due to the pandemic, so technically, it isn't required yet.
It could always get pushed back again but the deadline was last pushed back 6 months from 9/1/2020 to 3/1/2021. This is well before Rivian starts delivering any vehicles to consumers meaning it will be a required feature when we take delivery and is something Rivian has likely already engineered into their vehicles.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I hope that isn't the case. Every time an auto manufacturer tries to implement geo-fencing to lock out features it always fails to work properly.
Huh? This isn't exactly geofencing. If the car has the smarts to display the vehicle position when it is off the road it has the smarts to tell that it is off the road. Now GPS can fail, of course. That's what RAIM is for.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Huh? This isn't exactly geofencing. If the car has the smarts to display the vehicle position when it is off the road it has the smarts to tell that it is off the road. Now GPS can fail, of course. That's what RAIM is for.
GPS isn't as accurate as some people assume. Most vehicle navigation systems also take into account other sensor data (such as steering angle) to help improve accuracy.

The problem is (especially in rural areas) I can be on private property or off-road, but there's a road near me. How far do I have to be before the system decides to unlock?

Nissan tried geo-fencing to lock/unlock features with their GT-R. The speed limiter, for example, was normally in effect, but if the vehicle detected you were at a "track" then it would allow you to disable it. Plenty of people experienced an inability to unlock the limiter, however. The vehicle didn't know about all tracks, and many tracks are close enough to highways that even if the car knew there was a track, you couldn't get "far enough away" from the public roads for it to enable the feature.

I understand we have to have some prohibitions, because laws require it. But I'd much prefer Rivian not implement forced restrictions unless absolutely necessary.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
GPS isn't as accurate as some people assume.
I'd say it's the other way round. Most people don't seem to realize how good it is. I'll be bold and guess at 1m 2DRMS for a modern GPS/GLONASS/WAAS system. Now I do recognize, of course, that there are situations where HDOP stinks and if in mounntains or under a heavy canopy - well there it is.

Most vehicle navigation systems also take into account other sensor data (such as steering angle) to help improve accuracy.
It's very clear that the Kalman plant model uses known roads - that's for sure. A good system will also use cell towers, Wi-Fi etc.

The problem is (especially in rural areas) I can be on private property or off-road, but there's a road near me. How far do I have to be before the system decides to unlock?
As failure to turn it off is hardly a serious situation it doesn't really matter if it keeps warbling if you are 10 meters off the road or 20. It may be annoying but better than having to listen to it all the time.

Nissan tried geo-fencing to lock/unlock features with their GT-R. ...
Well I have no doubt it could be done - failures by others to implement it properly in the past notwithstanding. But I doubt whether Rivian, or Tesla or anyone would go to the trouble and expense of implementing it as it would probably have to be implemented in compliance with some complicated set of rules.

I understand we have to have some prohibitions, because laws require it. But I'd much prefer Rivian not implement forced restrictions unless absolutely necessary.
Certainly with you there but I don't think there is going to be a choice here. I think the onlu solution is going to be the "loose" connector one. We might hope for an on/off switch with warnings that it illegal to turn it off except when off road or out of an urban area but that would require logic on the part of government.

Last edited:

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
This will be my first full EV and it sounds like this regulation is new but I was unaware of this prior to this post. Hopefully regulators will not require high db. level. It makes sense that the noise should indicate motion, not just playing Katy Perry or Cardi B. Hopefully this is customizable because it may be amusing to sometimes sound like Pac-Man I Like Pedrito's idea of tires over gravel if I had to pick only one.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
It occurs to me that perhaps a better solution is to use the cameras to disable the sound unless people are detected. If the AI is good enough to spot people for autopilot avoidance it ought to be good enough for this function.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It occurs to me that perhaps a better solution is to use the cameras to disable the sound unless people are detected. If the AI is good enough to spot people for autopilot avoiance it ought to be good enough for this function.
I believe Rivian is only enabling it more advanced self-driving functions on pre-approved roads (likely highways) where pedestrian traffic is minimal or prohibited.

Since the "white noise" is for slow-speed travel (likely residential neighborhoods) it's a completely different use case.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Bear in mind that most of the places people consider "off road" are still legally on road (private property and OHV parks notwithstanding). All the rules of the road apply on that rutted out forest service road (at least technically -- every agency and jurisdiction will have their own enforcement priorities).

And that sound is a safety feature that can literally help prevent you from killing a pedestrian. I would prefer to avoid that guilt and that insurance claim, so I will gladly keep it enabled.
Sponsored