cryogen97

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Cx9, Ford Edge
Clubs

that does seem pretty loud. Thank god for OTA updates :D.

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
I'd love for maybe the sound of tires rolling over gravel, so that pedestrians can hear you coming, but then also something that makes sense and can indicate that a vehicle is moving and not something absurd that will just attract attention but not indicate a moving object. Personally, I think when the Tesla Boombox plays La Cucaracha, people are more likely to stop and turn to see what is making that noise, rather than register its a vehicle and to move or be aware or a moving object.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
For the visually impaired, it's not just about awareness of moving vehicles. It's also about situational awareness of the vehicles around you that might be about to start moving, such as when crossing the street at a 4 way stop light or in a parking lot where a car may be about to start backing out of its parking space. Or a delivery van that may be about to pull away from the curb.

Hopefully that is not the final sound of the Amazon van and hopefully it is not as loud as the video makes it seem. That noise is not pleasant, it's almost rather stress inducing. And too much noise simply leads to noise pollution which also defeats the intended purpose while also being obnoxious to the public at large.

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
I like that it doesnt sound like an ICE motor but the tone and volume are pretty annoying. Hopefully, they will tune that better to acheive the goal without getting on my last nerve.

thibbitts

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 FJ cruiser 2018 4runner
If I can't turn it off when I am off road then this will suck. Imagine trying to view animals and you are cruising at low speeds making some stupid alert sound! The lack off sound is one of the big draws for me along with it being better for the environment. We are already inundated with noise pollution lets not just add more. Just to be clear, I am mainly talking about the R1T and R1S. I am fine with the delivery vans having a low speed sound.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If I can't turn it off when I am off road then this will suck. Imagine trying to view animals and you are cruising at low speeds making some stupid alert sound! The lack off sound is one of the big draws for me along with it being better for the environment. We are already inundated with noise pollution lets not just add more. Just to be clear, I am mainly talking about the R1T and R1S. I am fine with the delivery vans having a low speed sound.
Low speed sound is required by law for R1S/R1T on-road. I don't expect it covers off-road use. But if the user can turn off the noise off-road, they could turn it off on-road as well. It could be a challenge for Rivian to satisfy both use cases but hopefully they will find a way.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

So after a few weeks all the AMZ drivers of e-vans will be going "postal" caused by audible insanity.

Sponsored

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Low speed sound is required by law for R1S/R1T on-road. I don't expect it covers off-road use. But if the user can turn off the noise off-road, they could turn it off on-road as well. It could be a challenge for Rivian to satisfy both use cases but hopefully they will find a way.
It'll be interesting to see if there will be an option to disable it when you change drive modes to an off road mode. Assuming you can change modes and its not just the vehicle 100% of the time managing traction and all of that for you.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Hadn't thought of this before, but I really hope you can turn the noise off when out in the middle of nowhere.

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
On the Model 3 the PWS is very easy to unplug. I plan to do this on any future EV I buy. Having a sound this loud is completely insane especially when the vehicle is stopped. Looks like EVs won't be helping reduce noise pollution in neighborhoods and city streets as much as we thought...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The sound is emitted by a speaker of some sort. This will doubtless mate to the vehicle harness with a plug. Get a duplicate of that plug and put a resistor on it of the same value as the speaker impedance and plug that in. The car won't know the speaker isn't there. This will, not at first but eventailluy, be a ticketable offense, of course.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
This will, not at first but eventailluy, be a ticketable offense, of course.
Not only that, if you are in an accident involving a pedestrian, bicyclist, playing child, etc and found to have disabled the noise, it would make you personally liable for damages, etc from the inevitable lawsuit as your insurance would not cover this.
Sponsored