Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Stumbled upon this during my daily "Rivian R1T" YouTube searches where two people broke into a R1T to steal a purse. Given the effort, I'm surprised they didn't steal more than just the purse but I digress...

During the video you see them jump back into the car. Sometimes you can see a car drive by but presumably because there are people nearby. There's no audio either, so it's hard to tell. So for those with a R1T, does the Rivian have an audible alarm? I assumed it does. When it gets triggered, does it also notify you on your phone that it triggered? Again I assume it does and since it's a park the owners can't necessarily get back quickly. But since I don't know, I figured I'd ask.

Last question is, in this situation. Would it only capture one camera? I'm slightly surprised that the side camera and the back camera didn't record the car driving away and the plates, but I suppose that car could have been stolen. Although if they were stealing cars I would assume the Rivian's parts are worth more than the purse inside.

I haven't really considered the alarm aspects of the R1T before, and I don't keep much in the car worth stealing (live by convertible rules) but curious none the less. Figured it might help someone in the community spread their video to help capture a thief as well.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Th only plus out of this is knowing that those front side windows are pretty shatter proof.
it looks like these bright spots are using a plastic dead blow hammer at first, not exactly a great glass breaking tool.

the front side windows are laminated glass(for noise insulation).

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I HATE THIEVES

This video made my blood boil so much. Not only for the fact that they were vandalizing the Rivian, but the fact that they were so casual and smiling the entire time. Chivalry be damned, I'd have clocked both had I caught them.

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
There are alerts sent to the phone app for sure, when the alarm goes off. And when the cameras pick up something it does video from all the angles during that time. Even if nothing is happening on those other cameras. It actually does this with the cameras anytime someone triggers gear guard by coming close to it. We've had multiple people come up and look at ours and walk around. It's always been people in busy areas that are just curious and have no ill intent. As for the final part about an alert to Rivian, I am not sure about that part. And the audible alarm I don't know about that either. The one time ours went off we were down at the river and I wouldn't have bee able to hear it. But when I got back to the truck, which was probably 15 after the alarm alerts on my phone app, the lights were flashing. Maybe someone else will know if there is an audible alarm that works for a few mins.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I HATE THIEVES

This video made my blood boil so much. Not only for the fact that they were vandalizing the Rivian, but the fact that they were so casual and smiling the entire time. Chivalry be damned, I'd have clocked both had I caught them.
I wouldn’t try to fight someone who is on amphetamines(look at how they’re moving…)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
Th only plus out of this is knowing that those front side windows are pretty shatter proof.

Rivian needs to see this and do something.
At a minimum:
Audible alarm​
Alert to phone app​
Alert to Rivian​
Perhaps after locking and arming itself, it can also raise the suspension to the highest possible setting. Sure it is capable of driving at around 15" but surely it can get a couple more while stationary right? Not that taller thief don't exist, but if it it's higher up it may be more difficult to see into and harder to climb into. Maybe it won't help all that much...or maybe it will? But it certainly could be done via an OTA update.

This seems like it should work....

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Alarm / Gear Guard: Break-in caught red handed (video recording) 1656942865547

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

based on the video it doesnt seem like an audible alarm was going off. they seemed pretty casual if it was because it would have went off earlier in the video when they were trying to break the front glass, or maybe they are that bold and people just ignored the alarm.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I’ve heard the alarm go off when I locked my vehicle on the flatbed tow truck and it started driving to the service center. All of the lights flash and it sends a push alert to phone app.

As already mentioned, the gear guard captures footage on all cameras every time an event is triggered. Every time I park at work or some place public, I have lots of videos of curious people meandering about my vehicle but have never had anyone touch my vehicle. You don’t get push alerts with every gear guard trip and only get them when alarm fires.

Not much else gets me as perturbed as seeing people like this destroying other’s property and steeling. Was hoping to see them get Nancy Kerrigan’d at the end of the video.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Presumably they saw Gary and his video recorder, and were not dissuaded from their activity.

I’ve always thought Gary was too friendly looking, and may not actually be a clear indicator that video recording was happening. I think it would be better if the center screen showed the live recording, so that it’s very clear your actions are being monitored and recorded.

Videos like the above are tough for me to watch.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
Presumably they saw Gary and his video recorder, and were not dissuaded from their activity.

I’ve always thought Gary was too friendly looking, and may not actually be a clear indicator that video recording was happening. I think it would be better if the center screen showed the live recording, so that it’s very clear your actions are being monitored and recorded.

Videos like the above are tough for me to watch.
That’s certainly interesting and the intended. I didn’t give it much thought but perhaps Gary could hulk out. Friendly Gary when it’s just a motion trigger. But if the shock sensor is triggered, the gargantuan Gary comes out.

There will be a ton of videos with people peaking, I’m certain Im on a camera doing so. But the shock sensor should kick in a 2nd stage of alerting if you will.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
I’ve had a few instances of folks touching the car and even one of a guy playing with the (locked) door handle. Don’t think there was ill intent but would have thought the alarm would activate when it’s being molested and it didn’t. For the amount of battery suck and false gear guard triggers of someone walking to their own car in a parking lot you’d think this could be an “easy” OTA update.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I’ve had a few instances of folks touching the car and even one of a guy playing with the (locked) door handle. Don’t think there was ill intent but would have thought the alarm would activate when it’s being molested and it didn’t. For the amount of battery suck and false gear guard triggers of someone walking to their own car in a parking lot you’d think this could be an “easy” OTA update.
I’ve been surprised how much can happen without gear guard even recording.

I seem to be missing a lot of events, and some that do record are just the tail end of someone walking away.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
I’ve been surprised how much can happen without gear guard even recording.

I seem to be missing a lot of events, and some that do record are just the tail end of someone walking away.
Well yah, that too. I was sitting at a bar a few weeks ago watching folks touch it and it didn’t record any of them but then I go to Costco a few days later and it records 50+ incidents some of which are as simple as a car driving by it through the lot.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
Just curious if the cops did something with this video and actually arrested these f*ck$rs. Having said that, the video is recorded beautifully by the truck.
Sponsored