Sponsored

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
I wish I knew the answer to that but I’m gonna take full advantage anytime I head up to Mammoth.
Can't wait to charge the R1S on our way to Mammoth. We've been watching the Inyokern station being built up for over a year as we stop there to charge our Tesla. Great to see it in action finally! Was supposed to use it for our August trip, but R1S got delayed till Oct/Dec. Looks like we will need to go back in December!

Where do you charge in Mammoth? Still no fast charger for CCS, so we will have to rent a place, or stay at the village where they have a charger.
Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Any official info on how long it'll be free? A year after delivery is what I remember from the Old days....
Free charging is supposed to be a benefit of the Membership program. Rivian has never officially confirmed how long the free membership lasts, probably because they still don't know for sure. My expectation is at some point in the future, hopefully not until the infrastructure is well established, they will officially set a date on which everyone who has been delivered up to that point will transition from free to paid membership and define the free time period for future deliveries. For now, it's easy to just offer it to everyone for free.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Free charging is supposed to be a benefit of the Membership program. Rivian has never officially confirmed how long the free membership lasts, probably because they still don't know for sure. My expectation is at some point in the future, hopefully not until the infrastructure is well established, they will officially set a date on which everyone who has been delivered up to that point will transition from free to paid membership and define the free time period for future deliveries. For now, it's easy to just offer it to everyone for free.
Good enough

bradrh

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4, Promaster, T7, WRR
Occupation
none
Clubs

Personally, I prefer this approach if "town" isn't too far away. If I'm going to be stopping for 20-40 minutes, I'd rather be some place I can walk to get a coffee, grab a sandwich, or use a restroom in that period of time. The extra 5 minutes of round trip driving allows for doing something more enjoyable than idly waiting for the charge to complete because there are no services within a 10-minute walk of the charger.
I totally agree with you that there needs to be at least a minimart, preferably better, at a charge stop. In this case it's 8 min roundtrip from the highway if you're going E-W, at least 20 min if you're going N-S. Everything you want is close to the highway intersection too, near the Tesla charger. (Plz don't assume I'm a Tesla troll, they have nothing I want to buy). It seems like more of a marketing driven plan than an engineering driven plan. They can point to the charger near the cool town and the river. If you're on a leisurely trip its great.

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
In this case it's 8 min roundtrip from the highway if you're going E-W, at least 20 min if you're going N-S.
It doesn't look quite as bad as you're making it out to be... From US-285 north of Salida w/o routing through Salida: 11 minutes
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) Fast Charging Launches in Colorado and California Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 4.29.11 PM

Between the same two points, routing via 2nd and G: 22 minutes
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) Fast Charging Launches in Colorado and California Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 4.29.03 PM

So the routing to catch the RAN adds 11 minutes to the total trip time for a N-S trip. The same methodology adds 6 minutes total time to the E-W route.

No charge station is ever going to be perfect for every trip, but I do think chargers can help bring traffic into small towns. If that helps get them approved, funded, and built, I think that's a win for everyone. EA is already doing a great job installing in non-walkable areas (where even the walmart entrance often feels like a 5-minute walk across a vast parking lot from the charger). If Rivian keeps up their approach, charging could actually be an enjoyable part of the journey rather than a painful time sink.

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

Can't wait to charge the R1S on our way to Mammoth. We've been watching the Inyokern station being built up for over a year as we stop there to charge our Tesla. Great to see it in action finally! Was supposed to use it for our August trip, but R1S got delayed till Oct/Dec. Looks like we will need to go back in December!

Where do you charge in Mammoth? Still no fast charger for CCS, so we will have to rent a place, or stay at the village where they have a charger.
I actually haven’t had to. I charged up to 93% at Bishop and had 47% left when we got back to Bishop. All in Conserve mode. While we were up in Mammoth we went to Lake Mary and Crowley. We were also planning on June, which I think we would had enough charge to do, but ended up not going. I know the Mammoth RV Park has hook ups that they allow EV owners to use but have to speak with them first.

I’ll be back up there in the beginning of August for a week and planning on going to Yosemite and June so I will have to find a way to charge. I’ll let you know what I figure out. I hope I don’t have to go back to Bishop 🤞🏽

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Any official info on how long it'll be free? A year after delivery is what I remember from the Old days....
This. I was asking my guide about the membership program a few weeks ago and basically they're still figuring out the details.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

This. I was asking my guide about the membership program a few weeks ago and basically they're still figuring out the details.
Keep the crew updated please
Sponsored