First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
I am headed up to Mammoth this weekend and will make stops at both Inyokern and Bishop. Ill provide an update.
Looking forward to this as two of us are heading up there in our Rivians in August :). Safe travels!

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

Looking forward to this as two of us are heading up there in our Rivians in August :). Safe travels!
Nice!!! Thanks!

We are headed back up there again in August as well.

I am planning on charging to 100% at Bishop for both trips. I am hoping I have enough juice to get us back to Bishop after the activities we do up there during this weekend.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I expect the 800V upgrade to be paired with max pack. But if depends on parts, of course. Rivian probably intended to launch with 800V.

What's notable for me is that the chargers don't seem to have a place where a card reader would go. I suppose they could have a hidden NFC reader.

I have charged a few time on EA with a CCS1 adapter. My EA account has never worked. I swipe a credit card. The Rivian chargers don't look like they are made for public access.

The screen could also show a reservation. "Reserved for Gary. GTFO".

The EA screen show appalling bad foresight. When you don't consider sunlight's impact on outdoor deices your design skills really suck.
That would make sense as well, but the language thus far has also more directly pointed toward it being paired with the in-house motors. They are being built around an 800v architecture. Timeline wise, probably the same thing.

I would expect they require a Rivian account for non-Rivians (just like for Rivian owners) and you'd store payment details there and initiate charging through the app. So everything the same as with a Rivian, just added step of pulling out phone and initiating charge (think like EA process without plug and charge, despite your experience).

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Nice!!! Thanks!

We are headed back up there again in August as well.

I am planning on charging to 100% at Bishop for both trips. I am hoping I have enough juice to get us back to Bishop after the activities we do up there during this weekend.
Nice, if it's August 19 - 21 we'll be at new shady rest campgrounds :)

Sponsored

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Clubs

Glongo

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S; Cayenne Hybrid; Sprinter
Occupation
Homebuilding

Glongo

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S; Cayenne Hybrid; Sprinter
Occupation
Homebuilding
Darn! We will be up there the week before. Have fun! Our kids love Shady Rest Park! I believe the RV park right there will allow you to use their hook-ups to charge. Just have to stop by the office I think

https://www.mammothrv.com/amenities.htm
This series of posts has been the most exciting for me to read by far! I’m up in Mammoth right now and very jealous of you guys with your rivians. I have an R1S on order, maybe a delivery next year. Can’t wait especially now that it’s easy to get from SoCal to Mammoth! I’ve seen three R1Ts driving around town over the last couple days. They look great. Enjoy y’all.

Dman250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Transit plus a few more, all ICE
I hate to sound cranky, but what do these locations have to do with "adventure"? I thought that was for trailheads or places off the beaten path that might otherwise be tough for an EV to find charging. Inyokern and Bishop are both real towns on a major US highway. And both have Superchargers (as well as Lone Pine in between). Don't get me wrong, more charging is nice, but wake me up when Rivian has DCFC in Panamint Springs, or Borrego Springs or Downieville. Of course since I probably won't get my R1T till 2023 that may be a moot point.

Sponsored

Tbrou16

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Preorder 4/22, Tesla Model 3 Performance
I hate to sound cranky, but what do these locations have to do with "adventure"? I thought that was for trailheads or places off the beaten path that might otherwise be tough for an EV to find charging. Inyokern and Bishop are both real towns on a major US highway. And both have Superchargers (as well as Lone Pine in between). Don't get me wrong, more charging is nice, but wake me up when Rivian has DCFC in Panamint Springs, or Borrego Springs or Downieville. Of course since I probably won't get my R1T till 2023 that may be a moot point.
What’s worse is some of these RAN waypoints are located in towns/cities with no confirmed Rivian deliveries. Like, I get that it’s an investment in the future, but why not focus on getting some trucks to the people closest to them?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I thought that most of the trailhead and park ones were the L2 waypoint chargers. Not the DCFC ones. Those will be in more populous areas.

Dman250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Transit plus a few more, all ICE
I thought that most of the trailhead and park ones were the L2 waypoint chargers. Not the DCFC ones. Those will be in more populous areas.
I may have the terminology wrong for the specific technology. Regardless, according to rivian.com, the Adventure Network is:
"Open to Rivian owners, these locations will allow you to travel along popular routes and out into the wilderness"

While Inyokern and Bishop are certainly on popular routes, and close to wilderness (ignoring the fact that Wilderness as defined by the Wilderness Act is closed to all mechanized transport including wheelchairs, let alone R1T's) the reality is that they are major travel stops with fuel and other chargers, and should be supported by Rivian whether you're en route from Reno to LA or heading into the backcountry. They're not what I anticipated when I read about Rivian's plans to put charging close to overland access points that are not currently served by other networks.

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Clubs

LA>Inyokern>Bishop>Mammoth

Sorry in advance if I’m not to detailed…we had a lot going on.

I started with 84% charge (250 miles) and ended up with 96 miles left when I got to Inyokern. The burger joint at the stop….Classic burgers…👍👍👍! I charged back up to 85% and was on our way to Bishop. I was planning on charging to 100%, which gave me an estimated time of 1 hr 20 mins. There were 2 other R1Ts there, one was a mobile service truck. We decided to hang out at Bishop park so the kids can play. I checked my app about an hr in and there was an error with the charging unit and it asked me to unplug and replug in. We walked back and the charge completed to 93%. I couldn’t gather any data because of the error. I decided to leave with 93% which was enough for the activities we did.

The biggest downside was time, especially when you have 3 kids that just wanted to be in mammoth already. But it was worth it since it was FREE!!!

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) Fast Charging Launches in Colorado and California C9E65179-15F7-427B-A34E-B8F2F9C8B8BB
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) Fast Charging Launches in Colorado and California 84AE7923-7715-479C-9E10-6A5B5FE88667
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) Fast Charging Launches in Colorado and California 999D168C-0BEF-4858-B76A-F42509CC6386
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) Fast Charging Launches in Colorado and California C9B8020F-71D0-42BD-A457-5F68038CEA26

lmr

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat B7, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Technical Product Management
Clubs

Where is the map or info showing new locations and/or the timing of them being built? Thanks for sharing this if you have it!
Rivian hasn't provided much official yet, but there is a Rivian owner/enthusiast who has created the following map in Google of what is known so-far: RAN & Service Center Network
Sponsored