Clubs

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Notice how I have selected the RAN charging network, which is underlined in the photo. When you select Waypoints - the website scrolls to the bottom where they show...another waypoint charger.

Your point is taken - but it's still confusing because it sets up the expectation that RAN is an inclusive charging network for R1T adventures - places you want to go in your R1T.

Also - if you are going somewhere for an adventure, aren't you likely to be there for a while - like overnight even? Wouldn't that make more sense in terms of RAN branding?

A DC fast charger is something you want to use to help you get to your adventure destination in my mind. It also appears from their map that the DCFC network is on major routes and highways. Not sure a Wal-Mart parking lot, or a Service Area is where I would expect to find an adventure - but I can't tell exactly since the map doesn't list specific locations.
Kind of ironic huh... Even though sometimes a trip to Walmart is an adventure. I agree with you 1000x over: So RAN gets you to the adventure, but waypoints charge you while you're there on the adventure?

Sponsored

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
To add - I think what has lead to Rivian viewing their L3 chargers as the "RAN" is the exclusivity of L3 vs L2.

Their L2 chargers can be used by anyone and so claiming them as part of their network might create confusion.

I personally don't know how I feel about that. It makes zero sense from an EV adoption perspective for Rivian to close off their L2 network, but the Rivianaholic in me would be really pissed off if I drove to Yosemite and couldn't charge because the L2 was filled with f'ing Teslas!

Not sure what the answer is there, but one approach is that the L2 chargers in remote locations are Rivian only. L2 chargers that are in more accessible locations, like hotels, parking lots, etc.,. can be open to everyone as long as they download the app, etc.
So at the R1S first drive last week, other cars were charging on Waypoints, and it was at a mountain inn in NY ins the Adirondack or Catskills... Kind of an adventure spot.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
RAN is actually limited to just Rivian vehicles, for now. They've said different things about opening it up to other vehicles, so we'll have to see if/when that happens. But right now, it's only Rivian (and only in Salida and the two in CA as of tomorrow).
The small screen on the charger would be for known non-Rivian vehicles. No screen needed for Rivian only. The fairly weak amp sharing between chargers suggests 800V vehicles are not too far away. The chargers are underpowered for long term 400V.

The sticker on the cabinet says 920V max

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Aren’t we just asking for trouble mixing DCFC and level 2s at the same location? Everyone’s gonna make up their own set of rules on priority and mansplain them to all the other rule breakers there…

(BTW, mansplaining is short for man explaining…)
Rivian's system will eventually direct each vehicle to the most efficient plug

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
The small screen on the charger would be for known non-Rivian vehicles. No screen needed for Rivian only. The fairly weak amp sharing between chargers suggests 800V vehicles are not too far away. The chargers are underpowered for long term 400V.

The sticker on the cabinet says 920V max
Well a screen is still nice to be able to communicate charger faults and to quickly tell if a dispenser is working or not even in a Rivian.

Of course, these installs are meant to be around a long time, and 800v is only a year away, maybe less.

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Any news on the 395 installs?

I think Inyokern was supposed to be yesterday and Bishop today.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Well a screen is still nice to be able to communicate charger faults and to quickly tell if a dispenser is working or not even in a Rivian.

Of course, these installs are meant to be around a long time, and 800v is only a year away, maybe less.
I expect the 800V upgrade to be paired with max pack. But if depends on parts, of course. Rivian probably intended to launch with 800V.

What's notable for me is that the chargers don't seem to have a place where a card reader would go. I suppose they could have a hidden NFC reader.

I have charged a few time on EA with a CCS1 adapter. My EA account has never worked. I swipe a credit card. The Rivian chargers don't look like they are made for public access.

The screen could also show a reservation. "Reserved for Gary. GTFO".

The EA screen show appalling bad foresight. When you don't consider sunlight's impact on outdoor deices your design skills really suck.

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

Seeing that your location shows as Michigan, there is supposedly already one being constructed off of I-75 in Grayling, Michigan, with more expected along that corridor, and elsewhere in the state.
Where is the map or info showing new locations and/or the timing of them being built? Thanks for sharing this if you have it!

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T