First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
for the nerds out there... and aren't we all - here's the raw footage of the RAN Launch event in Salida. Speakers include Diane French Rivian Employee, Dan Shore (current Salida Mayor), PT Wood (former mayor of Salida), and Trent Warnke (Senior Director, Energy and Charging - Rivian)

Sponsored

• Sad
Reactions: Guy

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

@Pixelshot Thank you for the raw footage and for helping those of us who couldn't attend experience this vicariously through your video!

Cant' wait to hear how your charging experience is using the DCFC network.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

OK - I'm confused. There is a thread on this forum here: where the OP reported charging on a RAN charger at Yosemite so I'm not sure how this was the officially the first place they are launching RAN...

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
OK - I'm confused. There is a thread on this forum here: where the OP reported charging on a RAN charger at Yosemite so I'm not sure how this was the officially the first place they are launching RAN...
That was a Waypoint (level 2) not a RAN (level 3).

Sponsored

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Seeing that your location shows as Michigan, there is supposedly already one being constructed off of I-75 in Grayling, Michigan, with more expected along that corridor, and elsewhere in the state.
That is about 50 miles from my house and would make it the closest (by a few miles) charger over 62 kW to me. Can't wait to see it in operation!

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Aren’t we just asking for trouble mixing DCFC and level 2s at the same location? Everyone’s gonna make up their own set of rules on priority and mansplain them to all the other rule breakers there…

(BTW, mansplaining is short for man explaining…)

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
Aren’t we just asking for trouble mixing DCFC and level 2s at the same location? Everyone’s gonna make up their own set of rules on priority and mansplain them to all the other rule breakers there…

Aren't the DCFC chargers only for Rivian's - hence the plug and charge capability? Or can any CCS vehicle pay to use them?

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various

Perhaps I guess, but even with all DCFC there are going to be scenarios when humans have to reason with one another on if they should still be charging or not. Especially as we are still in adoption phase and people cling to the "fill the tank" mindset.

I do hope Rivian adopts a rule/penalty about idling after charge is complete, despite the charge itself being free. They have payment info on account, so it would be easy to do. Stay adventurous, but not TOO adventurous...

Sponsored

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

That would be a great one, just off I5. I really hope they plan something for 101 as well. I’m one of those weird people that would much prefer 101 over I5 even if it means an extra hour to Orange County from SF.
100% with you there. I-5 corridor is a dreary place.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I'm confused as well but I think of it this way:
L3 DCFC are RAN
L2 11.5kW AC are Waypoints

And no L3 RAN are not only for Rivian's...supposedly we get them included and for how long who knows...but that would be horrible if other CCS vehicles were prevented from charging at them (I hope they pay $$) and not very "forever".

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I'm confused as well but I think of it this way:
L3 DCFC are RAN
L2 11.5kW AC are Waypoints

And no L3 RAN are not only for Rivian's...supposedly we get them included and for how long who knows...but that would be horrible if other CCS vehicles were prevented from charging at them (I hope they pay $$) and not very "forever".
RAN is actually limited to just Rivian vehicles, for now. They've said different things about opening it up to other vehicles, so we'll have to see if/when that happens. But right now, it's only Rivian (and only in Salida and the two in CA as of tomorrow).

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Perhaps an EVEN trade RAN access for Supercharger access.....

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

That was a Waypoint (level 2) not a RAN (level 3).
So what confused me is that there were clearly Waypoint chargers at the event so RAN doesn't include Waypoint chargers? I thought RAN encompassed all Rivian charging infrastructure.

I gathered that this was the first L3 charger launch.
Sponsored