MReda

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
First, I'm not that guy that can name glavors of xyz on the nose or pallette.

Smooth, not a lot of bite for 102 proof. Not incredibly complex, but a substantial smokiness & something with a little spice or herbal type note that I couldn't place.

We were sipping on a number of different bottles and I went back to the Wood's because it was enjoyable & interesting.
Going back to a particular bottle after tasting a bunch is good enough for me.

Advertisement

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Reaction score
First Name
Duck
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Although I try to drink local, Lagavulin 16 was a favorite for keeping a scotch on hand for a long time. I also bought Auchentoshan American Oak a number of times, but haven't in a while.

My go-to is typically a rye, though, and the liquor store down the street from me lists the Woods Alpine Rye, so a trip may be in order later today.
Mike,

I'm also a big fan of supporting our local distillers, brewers, and winemakers. Luckily, our local Pinots and IPAs, and others wines and beers are outstanding in variety and quality. The beer and wine culture has become a big part of Oregon's economy and tourism base, and the distillers are now hitting their stride, as well. Always great to give the locals the support.

Lagavulin 16 is one of my all time favorites. It's certainly one of the flagships of Islay. Friends returned from Scotland and turned me on to the Ardbeg family of Single Malts, also from Islay. They're all a little lighter in their peatiness and color. I like to say the Ardbegs are like a good campfire in a glass, whereas the various Lagavulins, Laphroaigs, and Bunnahabhains all taste more like forest fires.

What can I say, I like that peaty influence. Life is to short to drink boring stuff.

Just getting into Ryes. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Geez! Reading this makes me sound like a lush! For the last several years, I've gone dry from New Year's Eve through early March, in large part just to prove to myself that I can.

As always, drink responsibly, but drink the good stuff!

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Reaction score
First Name
Duck
Vehicles
First, I'm not that guy that can name flavors of xyz on the nose or pallette.

Smooth, not a lot of bite for 102 proof. Not incredibly complex, but a substantial smokiness & something with a little spice or herbal type note that I couldn't place.

We were sipping on a number of different bottles and I went back to the Wood's because it was enjoyable & interesting.
Skyote,

Thanks for the review! It sounds like a keeper. Giving reviews is not my strong suit. They're usually along the lines of "Uh, I like it. It's pretty good", so I appreciate your take on the Sawatch.

I'm looking forward to giving every one of High Mountains' Whiskey products a try, especially Sawatch, Tenderfoot, and PT's Alpine Rye, if they're in season and available. The frunk should be a great place to carry several bottles home to treat some friends. It'll be fun to return the favor of those who've brought bottles home that can't be found here.

I noticed from the pic that you had Makers and Dickel on hand, but couldn't make out the other bottle. Regardless, thanks for taking one for the team and giving us your thoughts.

BTW, I just noticed your note under the Tank-Turn thread and responded in post #62. Thanks again for the feedback and this review.

Have a great day!

MReda

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Just getting into Ryes. Any suggestions?
High West has a bottle called Bourye that I really enjoy. They also have a Double Rye that is good and a fair amount less expensive. And when I'm in the mood for American smoke, they've got a whiskey called Campfire that became my go-to for camping trips for a number of years.

Whistlepig is another one, but harder to get these days for me. I used to live on the East Coast and it was easier.

Templeton is milder and smoother, and I know some people dislike it for that same reason, but I think it is a nice change of pace at times.

For around the house, casual drinking, Bulleit Rye is the best bargain out there in my opinion, with a 1.75 L usually under $50.

Got any favorites that you've found?

With friends of mine, we used to do various alcohol tastings over the years, and I'd really recommend that with a target theme to anyone interested, as a way to sample a wide variety.

We did a "bottom shelf" tasting for NYE a few years ago, not sure I'd recommend doing that...

Are we off topic again?

OP
K

kanundrum

Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 9-4x, Alfa Romeo Giulia Quad
Occupation
IT
Nice! I'll bet that hibiki was phenomenal! The Three Wood is an excellent choice as well and a bargain for what you're getting. While I'm more of a fan of the peaty Islay Whiskies, I love many of the Lowland and Highland single malts. Surprisingly, the Three Wood is available in Oregon for $87.95 through our State run liquor stores, according to our Depth. of Gloom and Despair's website, which includes a locator (oregonliquorsearch.com). I've always wanted to try the Auchentoshan 21 Year Old, but at $280 a bottle here, I'll have to wait for that knock on the door from Publisher's Clearing House.

Being of Scotish ancestry, I'll save my money for this cool new truck. I'm not sure if you've heard of it. For a regular pickup guy, the only thing Normal about it is it's birthplace. Give me a call and I'll tell you all about it.😉🥃

Cheers!

1616729939450.png

It was quite an experience! The lowlands are great as well as the highlands.

I love me some lagavulin as mentioned earlier and the Nick Offereman edition 11yr old as catchy as it sounds is a very great blend of both.

The 3wood Aushchentoshan should not cost that much or doesnt around here so maybe if you have the ability to buy it online for cheaper it is definitely delicious.

Ardberg also mentioned before is one of my favorites and I seem to quite enjoy it all the most when accompanied by a Cigar and a Campfire to have the atmosphere enhance the drink!

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Reaction score
First Name
Duck
Vehicles
1616729939450.png

It was quite an experience! The lowlands are great as well as the highlands. I love me some lagavulin as mentioned earlier and the Nick Offereman edition 11yr old as catchy as it sounds is a very great blend of both. The 3wood Aushchentoshan should not cost that much or doesnt around here so maybe if you have the ability to buy it online for cheaper it is definitely delicious. Ardberg also mentioned before is one of my favorites and I seem to quite enjoy it all the most when accompanied by a Cigar and a Campfire to have the atmosphere enhance the drink!
That looks awesome! Please tell me that's your home bar! If so, are you looking to adopt?

I'm sure part of the reason we have Three Wood available here is precisely because of the Dept. of Gloom and Despair's unusually high liquor tax in Oregon. We have to have high taxes on Liquor, Cannabis, and income, like Lottery winnings, so we can fund programs to help people addicted to Liquor, Cannabis, and the Lottery. It's just like having sound fiscal and social services policies, only different.

On a brighter note, don't forget to walk a couple of prime cuts of bone-in ribeye across that next campfire to heat them just a bit after charring them nicely. Just like dark chocolate-covered cherries, deep brown on the outside, nice and red on the inside. Wash it, the fully-loaded baker, and the grilled asparagus down with the Ardbeg or Nick Offereman, all the while keeping the business end of that double Maduro glowing orange. Finish off the meal with a nice slice of Death by Chocolate cake, and another round of adult beverages, maybe resorting to a nice Tawny Port.

For those not into this, might I suggest a nice Kale salad, a glass of Chardonnay, and a deep contemplation as to how your life managed to go so far off the rails.

Either way, enjoy! 🥃🍷

OP
K

kanundrum

Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 9-4x, Alfa Romeo Giulia Quad
Occupation
IT
That looks awesome! Please tell me that's your home bar! If so, are you looking to adopt?

Either way, enjoy! 🥃🍷
Sadly that was the factory tour we did in Japan that allowed us to taste anything at cost. $25 for a 30year per pour was a steal. I ended up having about 3 pours within 1 hour and I walked out a happy man.

Also blew a lot at the gift shop but that is the whole point of tasting before buying. That bottle right there even if allowed to buy would probably be $10k+ lol

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Reaction score
First Name
Duck
Vehicles
Sadly that was the factory tour we did in Japan that allowed us to taste anything at cost. $25 for a 30year per pour was a steal. I ended up having about 3 pours within 1 hour and I walked out a happy man.

Also blew a lot at the gift shop but that is the whole point of tasting before buying. That bottle right there even if allowed to buy would probably be $10k+ lol
What a treat that must have been! At that price, I’d have done three myself. Even a mid-level pour here can run that much, but the resulting happy-factor would be much lower than you experienced. Thanks for the back story!

cohall

Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60, Ducati SC1000

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Reaction score
First Name
Duck
Vehicles
Interesting article on the Salida RAN deal. I hadn't realized that the mayor (our very own PTWood from the forum) also negotiated the install of four level-2 chargers so that non-Rivians could also charge in the town. Seems like a win for everyone.

How the mayor of Salida got caught in the battle over electric car chargers
I'd like to think Rivian is in contact with lots of other small cities and towns off the beaten path to foster more of these Salida-style partnerships. How fortunate to have a mayor who's also an EV-friendly entrepreneur in a cool setting like this. And to Cohall's point, it was good to hear that PT worked to get L2's for other EVs, and that Rivian was on-board as well. 👍👍🏾

I can't wait to visit PT in his distillery and enjoy Salida one day soon.

Advertisement

Advertisement