CommodoreAmiga

Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
I am happy with the locations but wonder what the cost per kWh would be?
If I do the math(correct me if I am wrong please) to charge on the EA network is as expensive or more than going to a gas station and fueling my Jeep. Takes a lot longer too!
The eGallon calculators seem to use residential pricing(cheap where I live in WA). EA is 3 to 4 times the cost...roughly. I am assuming my Jeep gets 20Mpg and the Rivian will come in at 2.2Mi/KW(guess) as we have no hard data. At the EA rates there seems to be no savings at all on a long trip just purely based upon energy consumed. What am I missing?

1616432405846.png

BTW...I get the green thing and the less moving parts/wear and tear but I get the feeling that the picture painted is a bit too optimistic when it comes to long road trips where we are dependent upon 3rd party charing rates.
Yes, paid public charging can be expensive. Some locations subsidize the charging (there's a Walmart I looked at that was only 11 cents per kWh -- basically residential pricing) but many chargers are 35 - 45 cents per kWh. At those prices, it's more expensive than even a gasoline truck. However, I figure those prices will only apply to me on long trips, so I'll accept that as a couple-time-a-year cost and I'll enjoy inexpensive charging in my own garage for most of the year.

Advertisement

slawwach

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, BMW 4
At the EA rates there seems to be no savings at all on a long trip just purely based upon energy consumed. What am I missing?
You're not missing anything. Driving EV on a road trip won't save you any money. If that's majority of your miles that's something to consider.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicles
Clarity Electric
I am happy with the locations but wonder what the cost per kWh would be?
If I do the math(correct me if I am wrong please) to charge on the EA network is as expensive or more than going to a gas station and fueling my Jeep. Takes a lot longer too!
The eGallon calculators seem to use residential pricing(cheap where I live in WA). EA is 3 to 4 times the cost...roughly. I am assuming my Jeep gets 20Mpg and the Rivian will come in at 2.2Mi/KW(guess) as we have no hard data. At the EA rates there seems to be no savings at all on a long trip just purely based upon energy consumed. What am I missing?

1616432405846.png

BTW...I get the green thing and the less moving parts/wear and tear but I get the feeling that the picture painted is a bit too optimistic when it comes to long road trips where we are dependent upon 3rd party charing rates.
Your fuel might be more expensive on road trips, but will be significantly less for the remainder of your miles. Unless you use it primarily for long distance travel, it's pretty much a non-issue (overall).

Rivian could offer a discounted/subsidized/allotment of charging on the RAN for owners, but nothing has been announced.

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
This thread about the RAN got me to thinking. Finally found an avatar that works for me. Makes me think of the dawn of a new day, and a new way to move around our world without harming it (so much).

Yeah, yeah....I know we're still burning fossil fuels to run much of our charging infrastructure, but in the Pacific Northwest, much of our juice comes from hydropower, with a growing amount coming from renewables, like wind. It's also nice to leave no tailpipe emissions behind, especially in the pristine forests around here, as well as in town.

Slow day...just thought I'd share these pics of Mt. Hood, the Columbia River Gorge and Upper Multnomah Falls (sorry, no full shot with the footbridge). For those of you have yet to visit the PNW, you should add it to your bucket list. The Gorge and Timberline Lodge (remember The Shining?) are not to be missed.
To paraphrase Jack: All work, and no play, makes life a dull ploy.
Unfortunately, the State of Oregon's DMV tells me this is a little too long for a custom plate.

Enjoy!

123_1.jpeg

20180428_181136.jpg

20140928_134931-EFFECTS.jpg
@DuckTruck - Amazing photos!

IPTV65

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara, Chevy Volt, C7 Corvette GS
Yes, paid public charging can be expensive. Some locations subsidize the charging (there's a Walmart I looked at that was only 11 cents per kWh -- basically residential pricing) but many chargers are 35 - 45 cents per kWh. At those prices, it's more expensive than even a gasoline truck. However, I figure those prices will only apply to me on long trips, so I'll accept that as a couple-time-a-year cost and I'll enjoy inexpensive charging in my own garage for most of the year.
CommodoreAmiga I agree. This is only for the longer trips or public charging in general. I am excited about the RAN network. If it's cheaper than gas I am even more excited!

skyote

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Thanks for the question, You shouldn't have any connectivity issues in the valley. In 2016 we did only have one fiber pipeline out of the valley and if it got cut anywhere in the loop our cell and internet would suffer. We now have redundancy and rarely have any issues.
We do have a fiber backbone through downtown and out to the hwy 50 and are working on the final mile problem. Through our franchise agreement with the fiber provider (CCT) we are able to offer free wifi downtown.

Cheers,
P.T.
PT,
Look what I found at a buddy's house, unopened. He let me crack it & give it a try!

20210324_191520.jpg

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Reaction score
First Name
Duck
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
My thoughts exactly! Don’t hold out on us! What do you think of it? I’m looking forward to picking up a variety of spirits from High Mountain when I eventually visit Salida. Our Dept. of Gloom and Despair in Oregon limits alcohol imports from craft distillers. Therefore, we must travel, rely on friends who travel, or live vicariously through those who find unopened bottles in the homes of friends who allow them to crack the bottle, sample the goods and spill their guts about it.

That said, please realize that PT will read this thread and he has wonderful assistants who could hunt you down in Texas in a heartbeat.

Well, how was it?

OP
K

kanundrum

Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 9-4x, Alfa Romeo Giulia Quad
Occupation
IT
Also in for a update, so far thru out this whole pandemic I have a clear favorite scotch/whiskey and I consistently cannot find a replacement.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Reaction score
First Name
Duck
Vehicles
Also in for a update, so far thru out this whole pandemic I have a clear favorite scotch/whiskey and I consistently cannot find a replacement.
kanundrum, What are your hard-to-get favorites? The recent trade issues have made some of my favorite Islay Scotches harder to find and a bit more expensive, even under the control of our Dept. of Gloom and Despair.

OP
K

kanundrum

Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 9-4x, Alfa Romeo Giulia Quad
Occupation
IT
kanundrum, What are your hard-to-get favorites? The recent trade issues have made some of my favorite Islay Scotches harder to find and a bit more expensive, even under the control of our Dept. of Gloom and Despair.

1616645817522.png

Auchentoshan 3/tripple wood. IMHO one of the best I have tasted for its price point (somewhere around $50 to $60). Granted I visited Suntory Distillery in 2019 and had a 30 yr old hibiki that brought such a smile to my face I felt like I was dreaming!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Reaction score
First Name
Duck
Vehicles
@DuckTruck - Amazing photos!
Thanks! The first one, the sunrise over Mt. Hood, was forwarded to me by a friend. The other two are mine from the Columbia River Gorge, both within twenty miles of Portland. I caught your background in film-making and the pic of you with your camera. I'm guessing you have a great collection of stills and video. I hope you find a way to get some of your work into posts around the Forum.

Thanks again and take care.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Reaction score
First Name
Duck
Vehicles
1616645817522.png

Auchentoshan 3/tripple wood. IMHO one of the best I have tasted for its price point (somewhere around $50 to $60). Granted I visited Suntory Distillery in 2019 and had a 30 yr old hibiki that brought such a smile to my face I felt like I was dreaming!
Nice! I'll bet that hibiki was phenomenal! The Three Wood is an excellent choice as well and a bargain for what you're getting. While I'm more of a fan of the peaty Islay Whiskies, I love many of the Lowland and Highland single malts. Surprisingly, the Three Wood is available in Oregon for $87.95 through our State run liquor stores, according to our Depth. of Gloom and Despair's website, which includes a locator (oregonliquorsearch.com). I've always wanted to try the Auchentoshan 21 Year Old, but at $280 a bottle here, I'll have to wait for that knock on the door from Publisher's Clearing House.

Being of Scotish ancestry, I'll save my money for this cool new truck. I'm not sure if you've heard of it. For a regular pickup guy, the only thing Normal about it is it's birthplace. Give me a call and I'll tell you all about it.😉🥃

Cheers!

skyote

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
First, I'm not that guy that can name flavors of xyz on the nose or pallette.

Smooth, not a lot of bite for 102 proof. Not incredibly complex, but a substantial smokiness & something with a little spice or herbal type note that I couldn't place.

We were sipping on a number of different bottles and I went back to the Wood's because it was enjoyable & interesting.

Last edited:

MReda

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Nice! I'll bet that hibiki was phenomenal! The Three Wood is an excellent choice as well and a bargain for what you're getting. While I'm more of a fan of the peaty Islay Whiskies, I love many of the Lowland and Highland single malts. Surprisingly, the Three Wood is available in Oregon for $87.95 through our State run liquor stores, according to our Depth. of Gloom and Despair's website, which includes a locator (oregonliquorsearch.com). I've always wanted to try the Auchentoshan 21 Year Old, but at $280 a bottle here, I'll have to wait for that knock on the door from Publisher's Clearing House.

Being of Scotish ancestry, I'll save my money for this cool new truck. I'm not sure if you've heard of it. For a regular pickup guy, the only thing Normal about it is it's birthplace. Give me a call and I'll tell you all about it.😉🥃

Cheers!
Although I try to drink local, Lagavulin 16 was a favorite for keeping a scotch on hand for a long time. I also bought Auchentoshan American Oak a number of times, but haven't in a while.

My go-to is typically a rye, though, and the liquor store down the street from me lists the Woods Alpine Rye, so a trip may be in order later today.

Advertisement

Advertisement