Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Greg, So you live in Park City and get to play in both SW Wyoming and SW Montana? All three scream "ADVENTURE!!!" I guess it's true what they say, some guys have all the luck!:like:
Fortunately for me, most people prefer the conveniences of modern living and don’t consider getting home via snow machine and stoking fire in a wood stove to be a “benefit”. I don’t really understand it 🤷‍♂️, but it sure makes things more affordable!

Advertisement

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Reaction score
First Name
Duck
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Fortunately for me, most people prefer the conveniences of modern living and don’t consider getting home via snow machine and stoking fire in a wood stove to be a “benefit”. I don’t really understand it 🤷‍♂️, but it sure makes things more affordable!
I can only imagine. It must be nice to go away for two weeks, enjoy the wilderness experience free of all electronic distractions, only to come home, sign in to this forum, and discover that you missed out on exactly zero new information from Rivian.:oops:

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey will become an R1T
Occupation
Teacher
This thread about the RAN got me to thinking. Finally found an avatar that works for me. Makes me think of the dawn of a new day, and a new way to move around our world without harming it (so much).

Yeah, yeah....I know we're still burning fossil fuels to run much of our charging infrastructure, but in the Pacific Northwest, much of our juice comes from hydropower, with a growing amount coming from renewables, like wind. It's also nice to leave no tailpipe emissions behind, especially in the pristine forests around here, as well as in town.

Slow day...just thought I'd share these pics of Mt. Hood, the Columbia River Gorge and Upper Multnomah Falls (sorry, no full shot with the footbridge). For those of you have yet to visit the PNW, you should add it to your bucket list. The Gorge and Timberline Lodge (remember The Shining?) are not to be missed.
To paraphrase Jack: All work, and no play, makes life a dull ploy.
Unfortunately, the State of Oregon's DMV tells me this is a little too long for a custom plate.

Enjoy!

123_1.jpeg

20180428_181136.jpg

20140928_134931-EFFECTS.jpg
Love it out here. Moved from WI 4 years ago and can’t believe it took so long to take the plunge. So many great hikes and paddling spots. Come visit us in your new Rivians!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Reaction score
First Name
Duck
Vehicles
Love it out here. Moved from WI 4 years ago and can’t believe it took so long to take the plunge. So many great hikes and paddling spots. Come visit us in your new Rivians!
Matt,

It's good to hear your story of making the WI>WA jump. While you likely have family and friends back there and I'm sure you miss them, I'm guessing a snow shovel or two didn't make the trek West.

Going forward, I see a number of great opportunities to get groups of us together to play. Some rock crawling, some touring, some tailgating with "that guy" who actually purchased the Camp Kitchen. For having lived in the PNW most of my life, I have yet to visit Mt. Rainier N.P. and the Ross Lake Nat. Rec. Area.

Unfortunately, until Rivian and others build out the charging network, those places are pretty much a "No-Roll" zone for us. The same appears to be true of the Olympic Peninsula, including its namesake National Park.

I hope the Company is monitoring our comments to help define where the RAN Destination Chargers are most needed. I would think our National Parks, including Crater Lake, would be welcome by many (teaser sunrise pic below).

On a personal note, and not knowing what level/subject/age group you teach, I'd think you stand be a great "EV Influencer" to the next generation of drivers. A "Driver of Driving Behavior", so to speak.

You mention coming up to visit. I hope the Rivian crowd travels very well away from home. Using A.B.R.P. and the other routing programs, my dream is to explore as much of North America as possible in the R1T before I hit my own "Best Used By" date. At the very least, it will be fun to meet and compare experiences with new owners at the upcoming Seattle Rivian location at 2112 1st Avenue in Belltown, as well as the other shops while touring around the country.

Have a great day!
Crater-Lake-photo-by-CEBImagery-via-Flickr-CC2.jpg

EyeOnRivian

Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-orders: R1S, Mach-E
I hope the Company is monitoring our comments to help define where the RAN Destination Chargers are most needed. I would think our National Parks, including Crater Lake, would be welcome by many (teaser sunrise pic below).
Definitely. One of things I'm looking forward to do is a road trip mostly of National Parks mixed with some "off-the-beaten" path spots. However, instead of relying on Rivian monitoring the forums for RAN location ideas, I emailed them directly with suggestions. If you haven't, I would encourage you and others to do the same. I've had more than one Rivian CS ask me for suggestions during our calls.

HalcyonRider

First Name
Segundo
Reaction score
First Name
Segundo
Vehicles
Pathfinder, R1200GSA
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Just spent the last week in Salida with some friends, skiing Monarch. I was thinking that the next time I roll through town, I will probably be in my R1T. So great to see such a wonderful spot embracing EVs. I should have swung by the Safeway area to see where this new site will be. Didn't think of it at the time. Already counting the days before I return beautiful Salida, CO.

P.S. Now you guys (Salida) just need high speed internet so I can move out there with my new ability to "Work from home".

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Reaction score
First Name
Duck
Vehicles
Just spent the last week in Salida with some friends, skiing Monarch. I was thinking that the next time I roll through town, I will probably be in my R1T. So great to see such a wonderful spot embracing EVs. I should have swung by the Safeway area to see where this new site will be. Didn't think of it at the time. Already counting the days before I return beautiful Salida, CO.

P.S. Now you guys (Salida) just need high speed internet so I can move out there with my new ability to "Work from home".
HalcyonRider,

Here's some info from Salida's Chamber of Commerce about their internet options.

https://salidachamber.org/category/services/internet-service-providers-services/

I'm looking forward to visiting Salida on my maiden voyage home in June from the Mothership in Normal.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.🤠

skyote

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Last time I went to Salida was 2016, and cell service was pretty rough too. I think there was only one carrier that worked even OK... don't remember which, but it wasn't mine!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Reaction score
First Name
Duck
Vehicles
Last time I went to Salida was 2016, and cell service was pretty rough too. I think there was only one carrier that worked even OK... don't remember which, but it wasn't mine!
Well, that must certainly have sucked. I was reading another thread last night about the charging infrastructure in Northern Colorado, and almost made a comment. I went through Denver and cut North from Rifle towards Roosevelt, Utah, in the summer of 2016 in a plug-in hybrid. The charging infrastructure was fairly minimal at that time and I was going to comment on that, until I pulled up one of the charging apps. It now looks like things have filled in nicely.

Similarly, I would imagine that the cellular situation has improved as well, but I have no way of proving it at this point. There are a lot of spots in central Oregon that have only recently received improved cell service.

The mayor if Salida, PT, is a Forum Member, and may be able to shed light on HalcyonRider's concern. From sitting in on last month's Salida City Council meeting, they are doing great things to bring their city to the forefront as a recreation hub, with mountains all around and the Arkansas River running right through town. Partnering with Rivian to be home to the first RAN charging center is genius.

If the lack of connectivity is a concern to potential visitors, they should hear that.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Reaction score
First Name
Duck
Vehicles

HalcyonRider,

I just forwarded your connectivity concerns to PT Wood, Mayor of Salida and a member of this Forum. He goes simply by "PTWood" here. I sent him an email along with a link to this thread.

He and his city council are very excited to have Rivian coming to town, and I'm sure they're open to all concerns raised about how things might be improved. Someone in Salida may have an answer for you already regarding connectivity, in addition to the link I sent you previously to their Chamber of Commerce's website link to information about connectivity there.

I'll be interested to hear what you learn.

Be well!

Last edited:

PTWood

First Name
PT
Reaction score
First Name
PT
Vehicles
Dodge RAM
Occupation
Distller, Mayor
Thanks for the question, You shouldn't have any connectivity issues in the valley. In 2016 we did only have one fiber pipeline out of the valley and if it got cut anywhere in the loop our cell and internet would suffer. We now have redundancy and rarely have any issues.
We do have a fiber backbone through downtown and out to the hwy 50 and are working on the final mile problem. Through our franchise agreement with the fiber provider (CCT) we are able to offer free wifi downtown.

Cheers,
P.T.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Reaction score
First Name
Duck
Vehicles
Thanks for the question, You shouldn't have any connectivity issues in the valley. In 2016 we did only have one fiber pipeline out of the valley and if it got cut anywhere in the loop our cell and internet would suffer. We now have redundancy and rarely have any issues.
We do have a fiber backbone through downtown and out to the hwy 50 and are working on the final mile problem. Through our franchise agreement with the fiber provider (CCT) we are able to offer free wifi downtown.

Cheers,
P.T.
PT,

Thanks for your quick response and the good news about your free downtown wifi. Looking forward to trying it out soon!

Hopefully, your Summer season will be outstanding as we start to come out from our caves.

Be safe, be well, and, most importantly, Be Excellent!

IPTV65

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara, Chevy Volt, C7 Corvette GS
I am happy with the locations but wonder what the cost per kWh would be?
If I do the math(correct me if I am wrong please) to charge on the EA network is as expensive or more than going to a gas station and fueling my Jeep. Takes a lot longer too!
The eGallon calculators seem to use residential pricing(cheap where I live in WA). EA is 3 to 4 times the cost...roughly. I am assuming my Jeep gets 20Mpg and the Rivian will come in at 2.2Mi/KW(guess) as we have no hard data. At the EA rates there seems to be no savings at all on a long trip just purely based upon energy consumed. What am I missing?

1616432405846.png

BTW...I get the green thing and the less moving parts/wear and tear but I get the feeling that the picture painted is a bit too optimistic when it comes to long road trips where we are dependent upon 3rd party charing rates.

Advertisement

Advertisement