MReda

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I would hope they are strategically looking at locations based on vehicle range and desirable destinations, as opposed to trying to avoid other chargers. Salida is the intersection of a few different routes into the mountains, it makes a lot of sense. Which is probably why their is a Supercharger station just outside of town.

Advertisement

tx_rivian

First Name
Paul
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicles
F150
As a native Coloradan, I’m so completely excited and simultaneously amused at the same time that Salida, CO will be one of the first receiving the latest high profile tech for a brand new, highly anticipated automotive company. Gives me great confidence that Rivian will be a leader with RAN stations in the most unlikely of places that will turn out to be among the smartest of locations.
I think Trinidad or Pueblo would have been a better option, but congrats!

OP
K

kanundrum

Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 9-4x, Alfa Romeo Giulia Quad
Occupation
IT
I think the location is probably one of many, just one we only know about, FWIW as the other member mentioned there isn't any L3 High Speed DC Fast Charging in the area so its probably a good move.

Good news is there will be a lot more spaces for easier access.

1614353497984.png

MReda

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I think the location is probably one of many, just one we only know about, FWIW as the other member mentioned there isn't any L3 High Speed DC Fast Charging in the area so its probably a good move.

Good news is there will be a lot more spaces for easier access.

<snip image>
And a trailer friendly spot, something most other charging locations don't have.

There was a lot of discussion about mileage to other places in CO that have existing chargers in another thread when this first leaked, I think it's the RAN locations thread, late December or so. This is definitely a good spot for fast charging, and hopefully there will be multiple RAN locations in CO, but if not (or if they're just slow to deploy), Salida helps bridge a gap for sure.

timf

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
That diagram makes it appear that they are positioning the chargers to plug in on the passenger side rather than the driver side. I thought they had changed sides for production. Are they ultimately going to have ports on both sides?

EDIT: It looks like the colored squares are something the poster superimposed and were not part of the original diagram. There is clearly a box labeled EV on the driver's side of spot 1 that should be the actual location of the first charger. Thus, it stands to reason that all of the colored boxes were shifted over one spot from their actual locations and the plugs are in fact aligned with the driver's side.

SirArpsAlot

First Name
Arpen
Reaction score
First Name
Arpen
Vehicles
2010 Lexus Rx350, 2017 Infiniti QX60, Reserved R1S
So are the AC charging diagrams/specs going to be how the home charges will be? If so whats everyone's thoughts?

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicles
Clarity Electric
So are the AC charging diagrams/specs going to be how the home charges will be? If so whats everyone's thoughts?
Unlikely that they will have the same unit for commercial and residential usage. Things like payment processing and connection and monitoring/control by Rivian are not features desireable on a residential unit.
But the home charger will likely be capable of 48A, but configurable to lower settings if that is what the circuit will support.
An issue facing all EVSE suppliers is that the 2020 NEC does not allow units with plugs to have adjustable amperage settings - that is restricted to hardwired units. This means that a manufacturer must produce/ship separate units for each circuit rating they want to support.
Instead of one SKU that can be used on multiple circuits, they must produce a different (non adjustable) model for 24A, 32A, 40A.
Hardwired units can be adjustable, but that feature is required to have restricted access that the average user cannot change.
I think hardwiring is a better choice anyway. Fewer connections and potential failure points, etc.
The Rivian will come with a portable EVSE capable of either 120V or 240V operation. It will almost certainly come with a 14-50P and be 32A. A 14-50R can is used on both 40 and 50A circuits (there is no NEMA 40A specific plug/receptacle), so portable units with that type of plug need to assume the lower allowable current.
Removing your home EVSE and taking it with you for road trips to get 40A instead of 32A is unlikely to be common. It's also extremely easy to disconnect a hardwired EVSE if you are moving and want to take it with you, etc

CommodoreAmiga

Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
I'm not sure. The specs on those L2 chargers have many commercial-relevant features. It's possible Rivian will release one unit and either disable or let those options be configurable... But I wouldn't be surprised if they release a separate unit for residential use.

Pioneer52

First Name
Ronald
Reaction score
First Name
Ronald
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Wagoneer, Jeep CJ 7
Occupation
Retired
I agree with Ladiver, we need charging stations in locations with access to more remote areas like in Escalante, Boulder, Hanksville, Monticello, or Blanding, UT or in Yucca Valley, Kelso, Borrego Springs, or Shoshone, CA. Driving along the main routes of the US in what I hope will be one of the best full size off-road capable vehicles does not exactly sound like an adventure.
I really have no idea how driving on trails like seen in the Rivian video will cut down range, so charging stations close to popular trails will be crucial .

OP
K

kanundrum

Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 9-4x, Alfa Romeo Giulia Quad
Occupation
IT
I agree with Ladiver, we need charging stations in locations with access to more remote areas like in Escalante, Boulder, Hanksville, Monticello, or Blanding, UT or in Yucca Valley, Kelso, Borrego Springs, or Shoshone, CA. Driving along the main routes of the US in what I hope will be one of the best full size off-road capable vehicles does not exactly sound like an adventure.
I really have no idea how driving on trails like seen in the Rivian video will cut down range, so charging stations close to popular trails will be crucial .

Small steps, again we don't know where they are planning but they know where people want, just have to be patient and either find out more information or wait for them to release it.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Honda CR-V, Corvette Z06
In my head, I was thinking RAN would be located off the beaten path. One type of location would be where someone has already pulled power and could possibly share the infrastructure.

dopplar.PNG

This exact site would not be desirable because it is in the middle of Orange County and within 20 miles of civilization, but it is along a fun and easy trail that would introduce newbies to some back roads.

SoCal Edison already has power up there and I imagine it would be pretty easy to tap in and put one or two chargers. This is also a nice place to stop for lunch or break out the mountain bikes. So having a charger that takes an hour to give you enough juice to get to town is fine.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicles
Clarity Electric
In my head, I was thinking RAN would be located off the beaten path. One type of location would be where someone has already pulled power and could possibly share the infrastructure.

This exact site would not be desirable because it is in the middle of Orange County and within 20 miles of civilization, but it is along a fun and easy trail that would introduce newbies to some back roads.

SoCal Edison already has power up there and I imagine it would be pretty easy to tap in and put one or two chargers. This is also a nice place to stop for lunch or break out the mountain bikes. So having a charger that takes an hour to give you enough juice to get to town is fine.
I think Rivian is concentrating on putting in multiple units of multiple types when they do an installation.
The 4 DCFC in Salida could theoretically draw well over 1 MW if all were in use simultaneously. And seriously remote areas are much less likely to have the 3 phase 480V supply required to begin with. There is definitely a place for 240 based charging, but waiting for hours to get 100 miles is not a good fit for most people out looking to have "adventures". RAN locations installed outside of towns or developed areas are unlikely.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Honda CR-V, Corvette Z06
I think Rivian is concentrating on putting in multiple units of multiple types when they do an installation.
The 4 DCFC in Salida could theoretically draw well over 1 MW if all were in use simultaneously. And seriously remote areas are much less likely to have the 3 phase 480V supply required to begin with. There is definitely a place for 240 based charging, but waiting for hours to get 100 miles is not a good fit for most people out looking to have "adventures". RAN locations installed outside of towns or developed areas are unlikely.
Yep, that is the easiest (and probably right) business decision. The cost per charger is significantly lower and they can advertise that the RAN has hundreds or thousands of chargers, and growing, shortly after the launch. The downside to that strategy is competition.

They now need to differentiate the RAN from the other companies. Will it be free charging for LE owners? Maybe only for those who pre-ordered? For me, it will come down to price and availability. If there are multiple chargers within a block or two, who has the best charging rate and who has space available?

Now you say that Rivian is putting in fast chargers...OK, when ChargePoint updates their charging stations, or ElectrifyAmerica shows up with fast charging, what keeps Rivian relevant? If they are on a dirt road, 10 miles outside of town, there will be no competition within 10+ miles!

Look at Tesla, charging was free in the beginning as they built out the network. Now there is a fee for Tesla owners. Either Tesla realized that giving away power was not a good way to stay in business, or they looked at their customers who spend $60K+ on a vehicle and decide there is a revenue stream that can offset the infrastructure costs.

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Reaction score
First Name
Ike
Vehicles
2017 MX 100D, 2020 M3 SR+
Occupation
Food
I think the location makes a lot of sense in that it is centrally located within the Colorado Rocky Mountains. A 100 mile diameter circle around that location covers a lot of "Adventure" territory.

Advertisement

Advertisement