Sponsored

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
I successfully connected my Rivian telemetry to ABRP for live charge tracking and prediction. I can't take a ton of credit for it really, as I'm just piggybacking on the Home Assistant plugin for the most part, but it works! I had this "working" about a week ago, but of course Rivian shut down the old API on Friday night and I couldn't test it until the HA plugin was updated to match.

Now I just need to go on a couple trips to "train" ABRP to be better calibrated for the Rivian :).

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian ABRP integration working (if you're motivated 🙂) 1673583050104

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian ABRP integration working (if you're motivated 🙂) 1673583241923

I'm using Node Red to really quickly and easily build the HTTP GET that the ABRP API wants. It's messy, and I could have probably just wrote code instead, but not having to worry about any infrastructure when you have Node Red already set up just makes these things so much easier to achieve.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian ABRP integration working (if you're motivated 🙂) 1673583345572
Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Well……..since most of that was in a language I don’t speak, it’s probably not for me. 🫤

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

wish I understood

Mcdubjr

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventurehightech.com
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Guy
Clubs

Don't worry - I use HA and Node Red and understand you! And I also think what you have done is really cool. :)

Sponsored

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '22 M3LR, '09 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

For those who see gibberish... basically your Rivian is a "smart device" which can be controlled remotely (for example, the Rivian app on your phone). Your Rivian sends data about your truck (location, charge status, locked/unlocked status, etc) to the cloud (Internet), and the Home Assistant software (another app) can read that data and send it to other apps, like mapping software. Rivian app has a map, but other map apps might be better suited to navigating between non-Rivian chargers. Hopefully clear as mud...

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
@mindstormsguy Did you get locked out of your account, too? I updated to the latest HA integration after the servers broke, but then it locked me out of my account, so I turned off the integration for now. I don't know if it's a constant thing, or if it only happens on startup or something.

Mine worked for about 4 hours and then stopped connecting. I haven't reenabled it yet in fear it'll prevent me from accessing the truck.

Otherwise, I might be interested in your NodeRed setup. I don't use NR for almost anything, but I already have it set up for one feature.

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T launch edition 20" AT Carbon wrap
Occupation
CFO
Could this be used to enable waze? I have blown though so many speed traps since getting my R1T and feel completely vulnerable as if most other drivers know something I dont .

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Could this be used to enable waze? I have blown though so many speed traps since getting my R1T and feel completely vulnerable as if most other drivers know something I dont .
No. This is not "enabling" ABRP to run on the Rivian, it is sending vehicle data from Rivian's servers to ABRP's servers to be used by the app running on a phone (or presumably by ABRP web app for trip planning from a desktop computer at home).

OP
OP

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
@mindstormsguy Did you get locked out of your account, too? I updated to the latest HA integration after the servers broke, but then it locked me out of my account, so I turned off the integration for now. I don't know if it's a constant thing, or if it only happens on startup or something.

Mine worked for about 4 hours and then stopped connecting. I haven't reenabled it yet in fear it'll prevent me from accessing the truck.

Otherwise, I might be interested in your NodeRed setup. I don't use NR for almost anything, but I already have it set up for one feature.
Sure did 😅. My primary account is still locked last I checked, but happily it doesn’t kill existing sessions, so my phone is still logged in.

It seems to be fixed in the latest beta (7.0.0 beta 3).

I heeded some advice from the r/Rivian discord, and made/invited a new driver (new account with access to my truck) to use exclusively for the HA integration. So hopefully I don’t lock myself out again.

Edit: more info here: https://github.com/bretterer/home-assistant-rivian/issues/44

Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Sure did 😅. My primary account is still locked last I checked, but happily it doesn’t kill existing sessions, so my phone is still logged in.

It seems to be fixed in the latest beta (7.0.0 beta 3).

I heeded some advice from the r/Rivian discord, and made/invited a new driver (new account with access to my truck) to use exclusively for the HA integration. So hopefully I don’t lock myself out again.

Edit: more info here: https://github.com/bretterer/home-assistant-rivian/issues/44
I just saw that comment this morning, I'm going to do the same thing in a bit alongside the updated integration! I love the community efforts around this integration.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Well that sounds like a PITA. If only Rivian would, I don't know, open up some data via the OBD port this wouldn't be necessary.

OP
OP

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
Well that sounds like a PITA. If only Rivian would, I don't know, open up some data via the OBD port this wouldn't be necessary.
To be fair to Rivian, I also have an Audi e-tron, which does have an ODB-II port, but doesn't have any out-of-the-box ABRP integration either. For that one, I had to have a laptop _in_ the e-tron running some python code that I wrote to sniff the CAN bus which I had to reverse-engineer scalers and fields to get any sort of ABRP integration. (Detail here). The Rivian is MUCH easier than that, because it broadcasts the parameters to the internet automatically, at a really nice update rate. The Rivian took me a few hours to do this, but the Audi took a few days. And the Rivian has better data for the most part (though I really wish we could grab battery temp and speed).

Adding an ODB port does not mean you get useful data without reverse engineering either.

Edit: one random aside. I did a road trip with the e-tron with the configuration I described above. One night, at a hotel, I forgot about the ODB2 bluetooth dongle that I had plugged into the Audi overnight. When I came back to the vehicle in the morning, the 12V battery was drained. This happened because when the e-tron is charging it keeps the power turned on for the ODB port, but it does not use the HV battery to keep the 12V battery charged :( .

Last edited:

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Well if OP hadn't written the entire post in Spanish maybe it would be easier to understand...?

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
Neat.

One of the things I really like about the Tesla, is the open API, you can generate an access token, and pretty much control anything the OEM app can (which is how apps like Tessie work). I mean, I used Postman (desktop REST/API dev/test tool) to open my trunk :D

I had wondered if Rivian offered the same, so we could see custom apps, smart Watch apps, integrate with all sorts of automation services (like rolling up the windows if a weather data service indicates a storm approaching).

FWIW, I'm a dev/architect/writer of about, oh lordy, a LONG TIME :D
Sponsored