Sponsored

Rivian 20" Aero Covers

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Anyone thinking of making some aftermarket aero covers for the 20's?
My guess is there was such a negligible effect on or off as far as range that it didn't make sense to make them.

Curious what the 21" road wheels get range wise covers vs no covers.
Sponsored

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
Anyone thinking of making some aftermarket aero covers for the 20's?
I presume if they would have any significant effect on range rivian would have kept them.

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

Last edited:

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

I'd love to know what the impact to range is. I made the decision to downsize from the max pack. Originally had the 20", but with that decision, I've been looking in the shop for 21"...since it makes up for some of the loss (40 miles, which is significant for me). If I could get a meaningful boost in range, I'd be very tempted to go back to the 20's.

Sponsored

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
I'd love to know what the impact to range is. I made the decision to downsize from the max pack. Originally had the 20", but with that decision, I've been looking in the shop for 21"...since it makes up for some of the loss (40 miles, which is significant for me). If I could get a meaningful boost in range, I'd be very tempted to go back to the 20's.
If I was you I’d HIGHLY suggest switching back to the 20s with or without the aero covers. I’m not sure what your situation is, BUT the range lost by the 20s can be mitigated with an AS tire. Someone here on the forums switched to the Pirelli AS+3 and found similar range to the 21s. The only tire suitable for the 21” rim is the ONE tire made specifically for Rivian and it’s 400+ per tire vs. the AS which is around 250. Again to each his own. I’m sure you’ve thought all this through multiple times. I myself wanted the 21s but after I learned that the tire itself lasted around 30K miles (or less) and that it cost $400 I started looking at the 20s in a HEARTBEAT and definitively have been won over for a variety of reasons.

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

If I was you I’d HIGHLY suggest switching back to the 20s with or without the aero covers. I’m not sure what your situation is, BUT the range lost by the 20s can be mitigated with an AS tire. Someone here on the forums switched to the Pirelli AS+3 and found similar range to the 21s. The only tire suitable for the 21” rim is the ONE tire made specifically for Rivian and it’s 400+ per tire vs. the AS which is around 250. Again to each his own. I’m sure you’ve thought all this through multiple times. I myself wanted the 21s but after I learned that the tire itself lasted around 30K miles (or less) and that it cost $400 I started looking at the 20s in a HEARTBEAT and definitively have been won over for a variety of reasons.
This x100. The 20s with AS+3 tires equipped are reported to be within 3% of the efficiency of the 21s.

Relevant thread.

If the aero covers provide even a 1-2% improvement in efficiency on the 20s, you'll have an ideal setup that looks (subjectively) so much better and will be just as efficient, quiet and comfortable (if not more) than the 21s due to the extra sidewall on a 275/60/20 all season.

Last edited:

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
The way AS tires look on the 20’s feel disproportionate to the truck IMO. If you’re gonna go AS I say get the 21’s— they’re free, look balanced, and the tire is designed specifically for this truck and I can only guess is a much better tire than one not designed for this truck. I don’t like the look of my 21 wheels but mostly because I love the look of an AT setup in general, in spite of never having been off roading in my life. I am very much looking to possibly maybe get the staple wheels now because the aero covers both help with range (I assume) and I really like the way they look with the covers. It’s a very “ev” aesthetic which is great for this truck.

Last edited:

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

It's quite the conundrum for me. My main concern is range to football games. It's about 100 miles each way, mostly Interstate and most of that 70MPH so figure I'm going ~75. Traffic at the stadium is problematic so a good chunk of time sitting there to get in and get out. (Weather is not really a concern because if it is bad, we won't go.) Even though we have an EV now, I'm a bit of a worrier, so if I were headed back home and it said we'd make it with 10 miles to spare, I'd be worried the entire way back. In that situation, the difference between 10 and 50 miles range is huge to my blood pressure.

But as you can guess, I've looked at this a dozen different ways and every factor I can think of...the 20's are $1700 more than the 21's. There will probably be 21 options in the future (but no guarantees). Range difference is ~ 13%. The 20's are much more off road worthy. (Not surprising is that almost all of the underbody shield options are paired to 20's in the shop. Having that protection is a non-negotiable for me because I have no idea if aftermarket options will exist and at what price). As with most things in life, it's a compromise and this is one I struggle with.

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I think someone bought all season 20s, so this plus the aero covers may actually bring the eff to a new peak