Sponsored

Rivian 1500w 110v (120v) outlet output not enough? My solution…..

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

LOL. Was going to make an aluminum brace to fit, but that Nest Thermostat box ended up fitting in there so perfectly! Will eventually make something a little more appealing to the eye, but for now, it does the job!
Ever tried to charge your truck off it? Would it qualify as perpetual energy?

Don't ruin my joke by referencing thermal dynamics/inefficiencies in energy transfer.
Sponsored

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Certainly appreciate the effort you put in to test it out, as I'm sure others will as well. Thank you.
And thank you! Your thread reminded me that I had wanted to try this out. And I've been curious about the EcoFlow for a while. Would love to hear more about how it works for you in the field.

As I noted, aside from occupying the frunk space, the downside to me was that the frunk doesn't have a 110/120v outlet to plug it in if you need to charge it faster. But, if you're using more than 3.6 kWh of energy, that means you're probably parked and unpacked somewhere, which in that case, I guess it would be easy enough to simply run an extension cord from the bed or gear tunnel to the frunk to plug in the backup battery. About the only thing I could image needing more than 3.6 kwh of power on a regular basis would be the RV air conditioner. In that case, means you're likely parked and staying a while, so the extension cord isn't too much of an inconvenience. I'm certain there are other things people will discover that would also require more than 3.6 kwh, but I think for most things that the 1500w of output from the Rivian isn't enough, the EcoFlow 3600 or 2000 with a constant trickle charge would probably last all week, assuming you were also utilizing the Rivian outlets for the things it can handle on its own.
Yeah, I had ruled out the frunk early on for the Titan because of the height, and because I was concerned about airflow. The Titan tends to heat up a bit, and it's sensitive to heat, probably due to the NMC chemistry.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

This is one of those things that makes me sad and happy at the same time. We shouldn't need this thing, but I'm also glad a solution is available.
I don't need this thing. I'm curious why others do as it relates to how they use their truck day to day.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I don't need this thing. I'm curious why others do as it relates to how they use their truck day to day.
Yeah what I'm eluding is we shouldn't have to purchase this thing (ecoflow) to accomplish this goal... Truck should just be able to do it

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

For me it wouldn't be day to day. But my place in northern wi loses power quite frequently. No power means no water and no heat. The pump is on a 20A breaker and I'm sure it has a huge inrush current. Boiler is probably the same.

The rivian sockets trip with a large inrush even if they can support the constant draw. This thing essentially acts like a capacitor.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

This is one of those things that makes me sad and happy at the same time. We shouldn't need this thing, but I'm also glad a solution is available.
Couldn't agree more, Rivian kind of screwed the pooch in only offering 1500w output, knowing full well the Ford puts out a whopping 7200w. But, fortunately, as you noted, there is a relatively inexpensive solution. I determined I'd have spent close to $20,000 on the Ford after purchasing it (to make it what I wanted). This, aside from some small accessories, was my only purchase for the Rivian, to make it serve my purpose.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Ever tried to charge your truck off it? Would it qualify as perpetual energy?

Don't ruin my joke by referencing thermal dynamics/inefficiencies in energy transfer.
I know it won't be an even split, but I STILL want to find someone with another Rivian to do a TOW CHARGE test. I am just curious how much the Rivian being towed would gain in range versus how much the towing Rivian would lose. I know the towing Rivian will lose more than what the towed Rivian gains, but will be interesting to see what that number is. These things get quite a bit of charge back, quickly, through regenerative braking. Just a matter of how much more energy it costs the Rivian doing the towing.

One of these days I'll do this test, just for fun.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I know it won't be an even split, but I STILL want to find someone with another Rivian to do a TOW CHARGE test. I am just curious how much the Rivian being towed would gain in range versus how much the towing Rivian would lose. I know the towing Rivian will lose more than what the towed Rivian gains, but will be interesting to see what that number is. These things get quite a bit of charge back, quickly, through regenerative braking. Just a matter of how much more energy it costs the Rivian doing the towing.

One of these days I'll do this test, just for fun.
Ask and you shall receive!

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Ask and you shall receive!
I saw this one. He didn't really do it the way I would do it. Wrong settings in the truck being towed, making it too hard on the truck doing the towing. Plus, he didn't really provide fair reliable numbers from both vehicles.

I tried to message him about the ecoflow 3600 he has and this, but apparently he's too big of a "youtube star" to respond to us common folk! LOL

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I saw this one. He didn't really do it the way I would do it. Wrong settings in the truck being towed, making it too hard on the truck doing the towing. Plus, he didn't really provide fair reliable numbers from both vehicles.

I tried to message him about the ecoflow 3600 he has and this, but apparently he's too big of a "youtube star" to respond to us common folk! LOL
Once they get the likes, they forget all about us.

Sponsored

swazi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
What is the power draw/loss when the 120v outlets are on?

SecretService

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Granite R1T with 22” black wheels
Occupation
New home sales
How does the eco flow compare to the bluetti? I came very close to pulling the trigger on a bluetti setup recently to use for home backup in the event of hurricanes knocking out power and liked the idea that it could be solar charged and was portable as well so could bring a couple with me on a camping trip and such.

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
How does the eco flow compare to the bluetti? I came very close to pulling the trigger on a bluetti setup recently to use for home backup in the event of hurricanes knocking out power and liked the idea that it could be solar charged and was portable as well so could bring a couple with me on a camping trip and such.
Which EcoFlow are you comparing to which Bluetti, and how much power do you need?

I own a small Bluetti EB70 and it's nice for being able to run laptops and phones if the power goes out. Could be good for camping though the truck itself works just as well for that.

The biggest difference I've noticed between the EcoFlow and Bluetti units when cross-shopping is that the Bluetti inverters are standalone units without batteries, so the big Bluetti units are very slightly more portable. On the other hand, the big EcoFlow units have built-in wheels.

SecretService

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Granite R1T with 22” black wheels
Occupation
New home sales
Which EcoFlow are you comparing to which Bluetti, and how much power do you need?

I own a small Bluetti EB70 and it's nice for being able to run laptops and phones if the power goes out. Could be good for camping though the truck itself works just as well for that.

The biggest difference I've noticed between the EcoFlow and Bluetti units when cross-shopping is that the Bluetti inverters are standalone units without batteries, so the big Bluetti units are very slightly more portable. On the other hand, the big EcoFlow units have built-in wheels.
I was looking at doing a pretty big system. The intent was to be able to run the main components of my house in the event of an extended power outage or hurricane. It would be cool to be able to toss a couple battery packs in the gear tunnel as well for 10-20 miles of charge or so in the event of an emergency with the Rivian if I run outta charge or calculate a close trip and run into broken chargers somewhere. I think the bluettis held just over 3000WH each.

I was looking at the AC500+ 4 of the B300s and then some solar panels to charge with. I’ve read a lot of bad customer service reviews though from bluetti and sadly their last response to a Facebook post was not confidence inspiring lol… filled with broken English and grammar errors just screams someone from a third world call center manages their social media account.

Timo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 cummins | 1994 FZJ80 | 2021 Bolt
I have a small Bluetti product also and wouldn't buy anything else from them. Youtube reviews seemed promising but it doesn't have the stated capacity in the real world. I used it to run my Dometic fridge on an overland trip in my land cruiser and it was terribly inconsistent.

I don't know if it was charging it while it ran (supposedly it's capable of passthrough) or what, but twice I found my fridge off at stops. I could have easily run the fridge off of 12v but intentionally used the Bluetti because it should have been fully topped off each night when we got to camp. 85w in, 40-45w out but only when the compressor was running.

On topic, that 3600 is seriously tempting. We have a 4k generator in the RV as well, but it is right under the bedroom. We also get up earlier than our friends a lot of times and I hate firing it up when I know the whole camp is asleep. Love that it can be charged via car charger.
Sponsored