Sponsored

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Large Charge Marge (Max Pack R1T)
Occupation
retired
Clubs

“Rivian has added more than 2,000 jobs in the last year as it ramps up production. The plant in Normal has more than 7,400 workers, according to spokesperson Zach Dietmeier, making it the second largest employer in McLean County behind State Farm.”

Honey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford edge 2013
Occupation
Firefighter
Amazing!

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

That is over half the company headcount. It is a huge number of employees to make 50k vehicles this year. Other factories have significantly less people for the volume, I understand battery pack assembly is in house but a lot is still bought in like the interiors.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
That is over half the company headcount. It is a huge number of employees to make 50k vehicles this year. Other factories have significantly less people for the volume, I understand battery pack assembly is in house but a lot is still bought in like the interiors.
They are also manufacturing the Enduro Motor in house. It's really three factories on one campus.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

They are also manufacturing the Enduro Motor in house. It's really three factories on one campus.
Agreed some vertical integration, more so than an ICE factory but that is a lot of individuals for 50k production. I don’t know if some of R&D is there on site to work with manufacturing and this inflates the numbers.

Fremont (which is a more experienced site) has 22000 employees for 600000 production. So three times the number of staff for 12 times the production volume. And they if anything are even more vertically integrated.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Agreed some vertical integration, more so than an ICE factory but that is a lot of individuals for 50k production. I don’t know if some of R&D is there on site to work with manufacturing and this inflates the numbers.

Fremont (which is a more experienced site) has 22000 employees for 600000 production. So three times the number of staff for 12 times the production volume. And they if anything are even more vertically integrated.
There is more vertical integration than just motors. They do all their stamping in house. Much of their other metal fab, and I’d read someplace some plastics(might be wrong on that).

definitely more than just assembly.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

There is more vertical integration than just motors. They do all their stamping in house. Much of their other metal fab, and I’d read someplace some plastics(might be wrong on that).

definitely more than just assembly.
Yes more than an ice factory but certainly not more than Fremont who produce 12 times the volume with three times the staff. Now some of that is due to ramping but let’s see in the next year or two how efficient they become.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes more than an ice factory but certainly not more than Fremont who produce 12 times the volume with three times the staff. Now some of that is due to ramping but let’s see in the next year or two how efficient they become.
dunno If you’ve read about the conditions at tesla‘s plant, but they’re not cranking out that volume because the workforce is happy.

annual capacity at rivian’s plant is 150k units with the line they have.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Both my guide and Rivian insurance rep were located in Normal.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

dunno If you’ve read about the conditions at tesla‘s plant, but they’re not cranking out that volume because the workforce is happy.

...and all 7400 is happy as $hit, right???

Productivity of Tesla is world class. Rivian not so much. After couple of banter with @Guy, this is what you come back with? EVERY factory in the world has unhappy workers and they all have accidents/injuries. Because it Tesla, it hits the media and people make big deals about them.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

The expansion was to take it to 200k and I thought that was completed in 2022 since it was announced at around the IPO and there as a video of RJ saying beyond this point in the existing plant was a car park. I don’t recall the video but the expansion should be done by know.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Productivity of Tesla is world class. Rivian not so much. After couple of banter with @Guy, this is what you come back with? EVERY factory in the world has unhappy workers and they all have accidents/injuries. Because it Tesla, it hits the media and people make big deals about them.
Yes, they’re singing like Santa’s elves

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

The build quality of Teslas (even today) reflects just how happy their workforce is.