Rivian’s Brilliant Suspension: Jeep married a McLaren 720S

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I’ve asked Rivian many times over the past couple of years to shoot a short video of how their “Kinetic suspension” works. This has fallen on deaf ears or more likely, Rivian didn’t want to share until launch time.

As MT has discovered, the R1T has an amazing suspension. I think this video from EE on the McLaren 720S explains the basics of how the R1 suspension works for those that are interested.

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Thanks for the video. The explanation is good to have, but please don't take it the wrong way that what I care most about is getting to experience it, not read about it.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

That video was helpful. The motortrend article on the suspension might have well been written in Greek.

My takeaway is that the Rivian will have an amazing suspension that will only be able to be fixed by Rivian in a very expensive repair.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

That video was helpful. The motortrend article on the suspension might have well been written in Greek.

My takeaway is that the Rivian will have an amazing suspension that will only be able to be fixed by Rivian in a very expensive repair.
Well, at least any damage will be covered under warranty. So, we've got that goin' for us, which is nice.

As to the language used, whether "Greek" or "Geek", it was still nice to hear MT found it as incredible as we did when we were there. I tried to get the R1T to roll left and right by whipping it back and forth hard down the straightaway, but that thing remained almost eerily flat. That was while in "Sport" and "Rally" modes, I believe they were called. In more normal modes, it swayed back and forth like all other pickups I've ever been in.

I will bet no other pickup in history has been compared to a McLaren by any reputable automotive journalist. Ever!

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
As a chassis and suspension geek, this is all very exciting to me. I had asked @DuckTruck after the event he participated about the torque vector steering, which its roots are in the suspension setup.

Chassis tuning is very counter-intuitive in general. The key to understanding it is in the cross-connect relationship between the corners. It is almost never about front vs. rear or left vs. right, but about cross-stabilization and being able to calculate/manipulate the forces acting diagonally.

The way the air suspension is designed with software-controlled indepent motors in each corner in the Rivian, as best as we know, and the lack of mechanical connections between the corners aside from the chassis itself, opens so many potentials.

That being said, all of that technology also means the vehicles cannot be services by the home mechanic. We take the good with the bad. Rivian's suspension and motors will give tremendous capabilities, at the expense of serviceability. If the purpose of your vehicle is mainly daily driving, city crawling, and occasional off-roading, Rivian will nail it on the head I think. If however, you will use the vehicle for serious off-roading, overlanding, being off-grid, I think those people will likely shy away from Rivian-type vehicles, regardless of technical capabilities.

Sponsored

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Anyone familiar with the service record on this type of suspension system? It sounds awesome - but also looks like it would be susceptible to failure (springs, valves, o-rings) rather easily (in first 100k miles).

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

As a chassis and suspension geek, this is all very exciting to me. I had asked @DuckTruck after the event he participated about the torque vector steering, which its roots are in the suspension setup.

Chassis tuning is very counter-intuitive in general. The key to understanding it is in the cross-connect relationship between the corners. It is almost never about front vs. rear or left vs. right, but about cross-stabilization and being able to calculate/manipulate the forces acting diagonally.

The way the air suspension is designed with software-controlled indepent motors in each corner in the Rivian, as best as we know, and the lack of mechanical connections between the corners aside from the chassis itself, opens so many potentials.

That being said, all of that technology also means the vehicles cannot be services by the home mechanic. We take the good with the bad. Rivian's suspension and motors will give tremendous capabilities, at the expense of serviceability. If the purpose of your vehicle is mainly daily driving, city crawling, and occasional off-roading, Rivian will nail it on the head I think. If however, you will use the vehicle for serious off-roading, overlanding, being off-grid, I think those people will likely shy away from Rivian-type vehicles, regardless of technical capabilities.
Riventures,

Thank you for explaining the system in this way. Your translation from the tech-heavy MT piece to English is much appreciated. Being the owner of two left hands ?? I'm good with never attempting to do more with the suspension than use my right index finger to manipulate the system via the touchscreen, or use my left index finger on the touchscreen of my phone to call Rivian for help.

I can change my own oil, and once, forty years ago, I changed plugs, replaced a distributor, and adjusted the timing on my VW. I've been bragging about that to everyone for four decades. Those "skills" will get me nowhere with the Rivian. I admire those who can mech on their own cars, but I'm afraid I'd do more harm than good performing anything more complex than refilling the blinker fluid. With EV's, even the ability to check the muffler bearings has been rendered obsolete. ?

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
I am not far off from you Sir :like:

I used to do consulting for race car setups, and some chassis engineering. I got greasy a lot, but I stayed away from engines, not my area. This was 14-15 years ago. Since then technology expanded significantly beyond engines and transmissions, and now I am even afraid of touching basic suspension components. All the little chips, wires (and wireless)... I think I am a dinosaur now in that world. Although physics doesn't change, how it is manipulated has changed dramatically in the last 5-7 years. Rivian is a perfect example of it I believe; exciting times for sure.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Riventures,

Thank you for explaining the system in this way. Your translation from the tech-heavy MT piece to English is much appreciated. Being the owner of two left hands ?? I'm good with never attempting to do more with the suspension than use my right index finger to manipulate the system via the touchscreen, or use my left index finger on the touchscreen of my phone to call Rivian for help.

I can change my own oil, and once, forty years ago, I changed plugs, replaced a distributor, and adjusted the timing on my VW. I've been bragging about that to everyone for four decades. Those "skills" will get me nowhere with the Rivian. I admire those who can mech on their own cars, but I'm afraid I'd do more harm than good performing anything more complex than refilling the blinker fluid. With EV's, even the ability to check the muffler bearings has been rendered obsolete. ?
Just make sure that you refill with LED fluid. I've heard using halogen fluid on LEDs can cause catastrophic failure.

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
Anyone familiar with the service record on this type of suspension system? It sounds awesome - but also looks like it would be susceptible to failure (springs, valves, o-rings) rather easily (in first 100k miles).
I would not worry about those components, although I doubt they'll last 100K miles, no cars' would. They are easy to service and replace. I would worry about the electronics to manage all of that. Electronic components go out first every time; mileage will vary per user.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
look at how Toyota/Lexus X-REAS fares. Similar to rivian’s setup, although the guts aren’t as high end.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Just make sure that you refill with LED fluid. I've heard using halogen fluid on LEDs can cause catastrophic failure.
LED, LEF, whatever it takes.... ? (blinker, get it?!)

RVAir

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche 911 GTS
Occupation
Dentist, air show pilot

Reminds me of the "brilliant" suspension in the Audi R8. There is no extended warranty available because the suspension breaks down every 10,000 miles and costs $10,000 to repair. McLaren is not the poster child of reliability!

Reactions: Rad

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Reminds me of the "brilliant" suspension in the Audi R8. There is no extended warranty available because the suspension breaks down every 10,000 miles and costs $10,000 to repair. McLaren is not the poster child of reliability!
Audi or McLaren?

pretty sure the R8 has conventional suspension, albeit with adaptive shock damping.
Sponsored