Sponsored

natenick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Now that I drove these around for a few thousand miles and also spent some time switched back to my 21s a couple of observations about the Nitto Recon Grappler's.

1. They can get a little squirely on the highway on rougher roads, I assume this is due to the aggressive tread pattern. Its not something I recall on the 20" Pirelli ATs.
2. The difference in efficiency of the Nitto Recon Grappler vs the 21" Pirelli AS tires is about 14% (1.64 vs. 1.9 mi/kWh) - Note the lower number is due to aero effects from my camper shell. This is also an upper bound since I spent more time off road on the 20" Nitto's.
Thanks for sharing this info! Any comments on tire noise or tread wear yet? I've had good luck with Nittos on previous vehicles.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Thanks for sharing this info! Any comments on tire noise or tread wear yet? I've had good luck with Nittos on previous vehicles.
They are definitely louder than OEM tires. I have been very happy with the tread wear on them as well. Hard to say how many miles I have on them at this point though.

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Two other options to consider:
0) Nitto Recon Grappler - 57# (~2.0 MPK), 9" wide.
1) Nitto Ridge Grappler - 58# (~2.0 MPK), 8.8" wide.
2) Firestone Destination X/T - 52# (~2.2 MPK), 9.4" wide.
Have heard the Recon is difficult to balance and also loud.
All three are ~$400 per tire.
Destination X/T has a bit more tread width and likely better tread life...
Rivian R1T R1S Rivi got some new shoes - Nitto Recon Grappler AT Tires (275/65/R20) 1709697623894

Last edited:

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Have heard the Recon is difficult to balance and also loud.
I’ve heard the complete opposite when doing my research and the experience was that as well— “these balance so easily!” - Americas Tire employee when installing my Recon Grapplers.
Sponsored