Sponsored

Ride quality R1S vs R1T? Should I be worried about reviews?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I know that this thread is about R1S handling, albeit with a lengthy excursion to the land of Tesla opinions, but I'll still apologize for nudging things in the direction of First Mile rides. I'd love to get one but that seems nearly impossible.

Quite a few of the responses in this thread seem to indicate that you you can schedule a test ride, but that has not been my experience in the nearly three years I've had a Rivian reservation in place. While I've been signed up for a First Mile event since that option was available on the web site, I've never been contacted about one. When I've asked about attending First Mile events in neighboring states, the response from Rivian has always been that First Mile rides are "invitation-only" events and we're sorry but you ain't on the list.

When I asked Rivian how one goes about getting an invitation, the response was that you can't really do anything except sign up. When there's one in your area, you may get invited I was told. Unfortunately, as @Guy points out, test drives in the PA/NJ/DE area have mostly not happened and from what I can determine, that situation is unlikely to change, at least in the near to medium term.

I've pretty much been resigned to having my first Rivian ride be at delivery, but that is a less than satisfying option. That has become a less palatable option of late however. After waiting patiently for the R1T Max, I was recently presently with with the December Hobson's choice email regarding my Rivian reservation. Though I still think I need the Max (I tow a small camper and also spend considerable time in some very cold ski country), like @Belem, I've tentatively decided to switch to an R1S rather than deal with the uncertainty of the R1T DM Max. Again like @Belem, I've been watching this thread with interest.

Delivery of either the R1S or R1T DM Max is still many months down the road however. The upside to the long wait may mean a chance to get in on that coveted test ride. I'd appreciate any suggestion on how to increase the odds of getting a First Mile invite.

Edit: typo
their test drive program is a joke. there was no rhyme or reason why some people got test drives and others didn't. folks who didnt even have one on order or ordered recently would get contacted while those with orders for years wouldn't. there were multiple people in the PNW region that got multiple invites, which they took advantage of, while some people got none.
Sponsored

OverSurge

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model S
Occupation
IT
Well.. apparently Rivian continues to read the forums and collect owner feedback, because the very first bullet in the additional features with the latest software update was: "Reducing steering effort to maintain straight ahead driving on crowned roads."

As I suspected, they are able to tweak steering through software updates since it is a drive by wire system. I haven't received the software update, but I'll let everyone know if my feedback about holding the line improves with this software update.

https://stories.rivian.com/r1s-software-update-2023-02-03

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Well.. apparently Rivian continues to read the forums and collect owner feedback, because the very first bullet in the additional features with the latest software update was: "Reducing steering effort to maintain straight ahead driving on crowned roads."

As I suspected, they are able to tweak steering through software updates since it is a drive by wire system. I haven't received the software update, but I'll let everyone know if my feedback about holding the line improves with this software update.

https://stories.rivian.com/r1s-software-update-2023-02-03
Your steering is drive by wire?!

OverSurge

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model S
Occupation
IT
Your steering is drive by wire?!
LOL.. okay.. Well no vehicle is fully drive by wire, but manufacturers have of course used the term to refer to how it's been used to enhance driving capabilities like power steering, electronic throttle control (dynamic cruise control), electronic braking, lane assist, self parking, etc. They can of course tweak how much turning the steering wheel affects the steering, etc.
So yes, Rivian is using software to steer your vehicle by wire.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
LOL.. okay.. Well no vehicle is fully drive by wire, but manufacturers have of course used the term to refer to how it's been used to enhance driving capabilities like power steering, electronic throttle control (dynamic cruise control), electronic braking, lane assist, self parking, etc. They can of course tweak how much turning the steering wheel affects the steering, etc.
So yes, Rivian is using software to steer your vehicle by wire.
I'm funin with ya.

Super familiar with drive by wire/fly by wire. Rivian's accelerator is drive by wire, but braking and steering are still both physically linked. To be accurate, Rivian's variable power assist steering is not "drive by wire."

I will be happy to see how the tuning of that power assist steering helps the handling.
🙂

Sponsored

OverSurge

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model S
Occupation
IT
I'm funin with ya.

Super familiar with drive by wire/fly by wire. Rivian's accelerator is drive by wire, but braking and steering are still both physically linked. To be accurate, Rivian's variable power assist steering is not "drive by wire."

I will be happy to see how the tuning of that power assist steering helps the handling.
🙂
I'm confused by your statement that their variable power assist is not drive by wire. It definitely electronic power steering which means it's drive by wire, correct? It's definitely not hydraulic. If it wasn't EPS, they wouldn't be able to adjust its behavior with a software updates and wouldn't be able to accomplish self driving in the future. By the way, I'm a full stack software engineer, not a hardware components software engineer, so I'm way outside my lanes. Just thinking out loud.

EDIT: Never mind, I get what you are saying. Yes, I do understand that it is still physically linked. But I know Tesla refers to their physically linked steering as drive by wire. I think it's just interpretation of terms. I get that its original term represented the absence of a physical connecting between the steering and controls. I believe that's what you mean in reading back.

Last edited:

carcrazydoc

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 991.2 GTS, 2018 E63s wagon, 2016 Cayenne GTS
Occupation
emergency physician
My R1S rides very well especially as I drive it in all purpose mode nearly all of the time except when I travel and want to maximize range (conserve mode). If the suspension is set in a low setting, I notice the front to rear porpoising of which others have spoken. In all purpose mode and standard height, no issue.

With that said, the R1T has a nice ride in my opinion (service loaner) but I would not have characterized the R1S as bad. It however suffers slightly in comparison when driven back to back for an extended period of time (3 hours to drop off my R1S and then followed immediately by 3 hours to return home in the R1T). With that said, I suspect my rear with re-calibrate after a couple of days back in my R1S.

BritM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G63 AMG, Tesla Model Y
OK team Rivian - recently completed a demo R1S drive in Boston - random invite last Friday for a time on Monday. A few observations on the ride quality coming from 30+ years of driving experience across ‘best in class’ platforms:

- Steering does feel too light regardless of mode, wheel is too thin : ), hoping that recent software update enhances.
- Tactile feedback of the road, what the front end is doing, is just OK.
- Damping is just not well tuned as others have noted, the system manages pitch and roll well under braking, cornering, deccel.
- Not sure if Tenneco’s components in the R1S/T are changing.
- Too much rebound and compression feels very chatty and slight rough over choppy Boston roads, and harsh with multiple broken asphalt hits @ sub 35 mph.
- Higher speed damping seems OK
- Rivian and Tenneco need more R1S program dev time for updates on the system/valve controllers; that consumes $$
- Recent reference points, GLS 63 AMG, X7 M50, Range Rover 2023, Escalade Sport Plat(Mag Ride + Air)
- Ideal for me: Range Rover feel in all purpose mode and GLS 63 in sport.

In line for an estimated Dec ‘23 Compass Yellow / Ocean Coast.

Reactions: Guy

Lionel_Hutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Had my First Mile today. Posting to track the issue and in hopes that Rivian can fix the R1S suspension tune OTA.

The existing suspension tune feels pretty unfinished. Very strange floaty behavior over small undulations but otherwise firm bordering on harsh. I was actually getting a bit of nausea on a couple streets from the floaty effect, which I've never felt in another car.

The 22" setup was legitimately bad on broken pavement/potholes. Uncomfortable and loud in the cabin. Probably not to much to be done here, unfortunately.

Steering could use work as well. Right now its an unusual combination of vagueness and twitchiness on center, which makes lane keeping harder that it should be. I think simply upping the artificial steering weight would help a bit here.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Had my First Mile today. Posting to track the issue and in hopes that Rivian can fix the R1S suspension tune OTA.

The existing suspension tune feels pretty unfinished. Very strange floaty behavior over small undulations but otherwise firm bordering on harsh. I was actually getting a bit of nausea on a couple streets from the floaty effect, which I've never felt in another car.

The 22" setup was legitimately bad on broken pavement/potholes. Uncomfortable and loud in the cabin. Probably not to much to be done here, unfortunately.

Steering could use work as well. Right now its an unusual combination of vagueness and twitchiness on center, which makes lane keeping harder that it should be. I think simply upping the artificial steering weight would help a bit here.
Have you driven the truck? Wondering impressions or differences you’ve noticed.

Sponsored

Lionel_Hutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Have you driven the truck? Wondering impressions or differences you’ve noticed.
No. Closet comparisons I can offer are:

-MY P: Significantly harsher/crashier than the R1S thanks to the rubber band tires and no air ride, but better damping and much better steering.
-New Defender: Comparable in steering and overall ride feel, but better damping and comfort over bad pavement.
-Macan Turbo w/ air suspension: Miles beyond the R1S in suspension, comfort, and steering (tho also a much smaller and lighter car).

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
I had a First Mile drive today in Brooklyn. I noticed it was very floaty but it was also set to soft. Doing a first drive in Brooklyn is not ideal since basically it is city streets with massive pot holes and bad pavement everywhere. Never got above 35 miles an hours. Regen was very similar to my Model 3, just slightly more in standard setting.

elecrticeddy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR Sport HSE, Rivian R1S, R1T, 911T Targa 71
Occupation
Strategic Marketing & Research
Clubs

Hello all,

I think many of you are not comparing Apples to Apples and here is why.

I have an R1T with 20" AT and have an R1S coming April 2023. Last month I test-drove the R1S in 22" and I can tell you that in the 22" the ride was busy and overly stiff, and uncomfortable by comparison to my 20" on my R1T. Then I test-drove the R1S with 20" just after they made the most recent software update and either it was the update or the R1S with 20" but overall it was a much better riding experience. The only thing I noticed between my R1T and the R1S was the noise which was a bit louder on the R1S with the 20" vs my R1T. I took it on road in wet and dry conditions as I am in SoCal and we had off-and-on rain all month. I am wondering if the complaint that is coming through is because people are making comparisons with different experiences on different tires/rims it was hard to find an R1S in 20" near my house to test. Just food for thought. When I get the R1S delivered "Big Blue" it will come with the additional underbody shield so I am hoping the noise may be a bit more muted given the addition of this shield which may act as a sound deading shield, but again this is not enough noise to be an issue. If you plan to get an R1S, I would test drive it in 20" and 22" for me, I would give up the miles for more comfort and better off-road options. I love the 20" on the truck and even though I liked the look of the 22" I am glad I went with the 20" on the R1S as well. I love my truck and I think the R1S will have its own characteristics that should be tweaked eventually just as my truck went through. I remember when I first got my truck I felt some suspension concerns were real issues for me and were not nearly as good as my prior Range Rovers but now my R1T is equally as good as any of my prior RRs in any conditions and a hell of a lot faster...!!!

Last edited:

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Hello all,

I think many of you are not comparing Apples to Apples and here is why.

I have an R1T with 20" AT and have an R1S coming April 2023. Last month I test-drove the R1S in 22" and I can tell you that in the 22" the ride was busy and overly stiff, and uncomfortable by comparison to my 20" on my R1T. Then I test-drove the R1S with 20" just after they made the most recent software update and either it was the update or the R1S with 20" but overall it was a much better riding experience. The only thing I noticed between my R1T and the R1S was the noise which was a bit louder on the R1S with the 20" vs my R1T. I took it on road in wet and dry conditions as I am in SoCal and we had off-and-on rain all month. I am wondering if the complaint that is coming through is because people are making comparisons with different experiences on different tires/rims it was hard to find an R1S in 20" near my house to test. Just food for thought. When I get the R1S delivered "Big Blue" it will come with the additional underbody shield so I am hoping the noise may be a bit more muted given the addition of this shield which may act as a sound deading shield, but again this is not enough noise to be an issue. If you plan to get an R1S, I would test drive it in 20" and 22" for me, I would give up the miles for more comfort and better off-road options. I love the 20" on the truck and even though I liked the look of the 22" I am glad I went with the 20" on the R1S as well. I love my truck and I think the R1S will have its own characteristics that should be tweaked eventually just as my truck went through. I remember when I first got my truck I felt some suspension concerns were real issues for me and were not nearly as good as my prior Range Rovers but now my R1T is equally as good as any of my prior RRs in any conditions and a hell of a lot faster...!!!
From what I have seen people have compared S to T with the same wheels. Due to tuning and wheelbase the S does have a poorer ride. From my driving experience it was ok in the S but not nearly as good as the T.

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
I switched out Scorpion AS 20s (275/65/20) for the AT20s on my R1S and it made major (positive) difference in ride quality, steering, efficiency and noise. The improvement is so striking I don't know why Rivian did not make this one of the OEM options.
Sponsored