Sponsored

Ride quality R1S vs R1T? Should I be worried about reviews?

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I switched out Scorpion AS 20s (275/65/20) for the AT20s on my R1S and it made major (positive) difference in ride quality, steering, efficiency and noise. The improvement is so striking I don't know why Rivian did not make this one of the OEM options.
Just so I am clear moving from the 20” AT to the equivalent AS made major improvements for you? Something I will keep in mind when needing to change.
Sponsored

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
Correct. From what I have heard, the 20 ATs are a significant ride quality improvement over the 22s.

The 20 AS is an additional significant improvement over the 20 ATs. The efficiency improvement of the 20 AS, in my experience, makes the range equivalent to the 21s.

Reactions: Guy

Viperssd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Audi Q7, Tesla Model 3
I got a chance to drive both a R1S and a R1T, both times coming from driving a X7. I was really disappointed with the R1S, it was both way louder in the cabin and the suspension didn't seem to be very stable.
The R1T was much much better....it probably helps that the rear wheels are separated by a gear tunnel from the cabin but I really thought it was much quieter. In addition, the ride was just more settled and comfortable. This has put us in a bit of a holding pattern, my wife really doesn't want a pickup and would prefer the SUV for utility, etc... but the R1S ride really doesn't seem to be primetime. I'm hoping they improve it in the near future but the rate at which the R1S' are being sold, I'm not sure if it will be that big of a priority.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I got a chance to drive both a R1S and a R1T, both times coming from driving a X7. I was really disappointed with the R1S, it was both way louder in the cabin and the suspension didn't seem to be very stable.
The R1T was much much better....it probably helps that the rear wheels are separated by a gear tunnel from the cabin but I really thought it was much quieter. In addition, the ride was just more settled and comfortable. This has put us in a bit of a holding pattern, my wife really doesn't want a pickup and would prefer the SUV for utility, etc... but the R1S ride really doesn't seem to be primetime. I'm hoping they improve it in the near future but the rate at which the R1S' are being sold, I'm not sure if it will be that big of a priority.
My wife was also not sold on the T but we switched from the S to the T in part for the reasons you state.
The first and second rows are the same in terms of space between the two and there is more storage space. So unless you really need to carry five people (or more) for an extended period the T makes a solid case for itself.

Uncle Stave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Chevy Bolt
I've had my R1S with 20s for a little over a month. And I read pretty much every review and looked at every video while I waited my 950+ days to get it. And I've had good, fast, smooth, on and off road cars in the past (BMW, Porsche, Bronco, Suburban). The reviews about the ride on road are off. It drives like a dream. I could not be more pleased with damn near everything about this vehicle and specifically about the ride on road. (I've had it in the snow, and it was great, but not a hard core off road adventure yet).

Sponsored

RYU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I've had my R1S with 20s for a little over a month. And I read pretty much every review and looked at every video while I waited my 950+ days to get it. And I've had good, fast, smooth, on and off road cars in the past (BMW, Porsche, Bronco, Suburban). The reviews about the ride on road are off. It drives like a dream. I could not be more pleased with damn near everything about this vehicle and specifically about the ride on road. (I've had it in the snow, and it was great, but not a hard core off road adventure yet).
I've had similar previous vehicle vocabulary with you as well but probably lean heavier on the Lexus side of things. I've had an R1T and for me personally the suspension performance on the T was damn near amazing (except for the leaky air system and noisiness). My concern is more about the T vs S not the S vs everything else. That's too wide of a scope to comprehend due to suspension performance is subjective for most people unless you truly are serious and have shocks pots and accelerometer data to compare. The fact is that Rivian spent the R&D money on the T's suspension and basically copy and pasted it the S and what happens with photocopies appears to be true in the early S's. I'm trying to get an idea if our 2024 S (I've already delayed it) will have had a proper tuning budget spent on it to make it as amazing as the T.

Reactions: Guy

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
This is always a strange topic. I'll take someone from a Mercedes C-class to a Ford Fusion or a F150 to a Ram 1500 and they will say the F150 or Mercedes rides the same. When in reality by every objective measurement, the ford and Ram ride much better.

It comes down to some people care, and some don't when it's good enough. I've never understood it either, but I am super sensitive to noise harmonics vibration and compared to my standards, neither of them ride "good".

They are good for a Tacoma-segment vehicle, sure, but they are jarring and fatigueing in a way other aren't.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

.....My concern is more about the T vs S not the S vs everything else.....The fact is that Rivian spent the R&D money on the T's suspension and basically copy and pasted it the S and what happens with photocopies appears to be true in the early S's. I'm trying to get an idea if our 2024 S (I've already delayed it) will have had a proper tuning budget spent on it to make it as amazing as the T.
Why do you care T vs S? What you really care is how S is - period. AND, I think that you've been influenced too much by reading people's hearsay about what Rivian may have done. Its a speculation that Rivian just "copy and paste" it.

While the components may be the same, and share large similarities, the weight distribution and load factor difference alone will necessitate dedicated development.

What does appear to be true based on how the ride quality and handling has changed since the original introduction of S, is the drive mode software for S. Rivian probably realized that they needed to do separate codes between the T and S to improve the quality. As such, it has evolved over time.

As for your 2024 being different than the current mechanically, there is almost no chance of that. Rivian is struggling to ramp up and to introduce change into existing designs are very unlikely. I would not expect any change other than quality improvements and evolved SW for the vehicle and perhaps obsolete/superseded part changes from their suppliers.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Whatever engineering Rivian resources has to put into suspension improvements should go towards maximizing reliability.

They haven't even fixed the tonneau. Don't need to be changing no suspension.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Why do you care T vs S? What you really care is how S is - period. AND, I think that you've been influenced too much by reading people's hearsay about what Rivian may have done. Its a speculation that Rivian just "copy and paste" it.

While the components may be the same, and share large similarities, the weight distribution and load factor difference alone will necessitate dedicated development.

What does appear to be true based on how the ride quality and handling has changed since the original introduction of S, is the drive mode software for S. Rivian probably realized that they needed to do separate codes between the T and S to improve the quality. As such, it has evolved over time.

As for your 2024 being different than the current mechanically, there is almost no chance of that. Rivian is struggling to ramp up and to introduce change into existing designs are very unlikely. I would not expect any change other than quality improvements and evolved SW for the vehicle and perhaps obsolete/superseded part changes from their suppliers.
I care about S vs T because it led me to change my order. Sounds like that is true for others as well.

Sponsored

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure, 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
We have both r1t and r1s on 20at, handling of both is great and notice no significant difference between them. No complaints.

MadMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Tesla Model 3
After banging around on potholed city roads for 1,500 miles, my R1S felt different but I thought it was in my head. Upon delivery, it was fine but I couldn’t quite find a setting that comfortably handled said terrible roads. “Flinty” was the word a magazine reviewer used and I, begrudgingly, agreed. Then I crested that 1,500 mile point and it seemed to settle. Now at 3,700 it’s noticeably more balanced and comfortable. My theory is —and I had similar tho not as pronounced with a Jeep Grand Cherokee w air suspension years back— that the air springs need breaking in. Only a theory. But, my R1S rides great now and noticeably better than when I received it. Am I the only one?
Edit/ I’m on 22s.

kpx110

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Occupation
developer
I currently have a Porsche Macan and had an i8 before that. I just test drove an R1S and while I didn't get above 80 MPH, the ride quality and responsiveness are top notch.
Sponsored