First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, R1T
Occupation
Engineer
You should probably never use the manufacturer (or dealer) for something simple like tire rotation. When I got my Tesla, they immediately recommended someone local for tire maintenance (shout out to Kaiser Auto in Middletown Kentucky!). Our guy never even charges us for tire rotation, which has made us a customer for life (bought many tires from them at this point, and started taking our ICE vehicle there for oil changes even if it takes longer, because they are great people). Tesla, on the other hand, doesn't really want to do stuff like that, so they charge a lot. I don't remember the exact amount.

The actual non-critical maintenance of an EV should be just tire care & topping off windshield washer fluid. You might want an annual inspection (though I didn't bother with one for a while, since Tesla way overcharges for it), but there really isn't much else to have worked on.

I expect the Rivian to be the same. You should just find someone local and make friends with them. The hardest thing might be finding someone local who can handle heavy vehicles. Kaiser's main business is fixing up work vehicles, so they are outfitted with the right machines for it.
Take it to your gas station or a tyre shop and ask them to rotate the tyres. For the Teslas you do need to mke sure they know how to lift/jack a Tesla. May be similar considerations on a Rivisn (need to protect the battery).
That's what I kinda figured. My main concern will be finding some I trust to not mess it up, and I wasn't sure if taking it to someone else causes any warranty issues.
Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots moreā€¦
Occupation
Software Developer
Our MY is 1.5 years old and we had service come out once. Scheduling on the app was easy, as well as communication via messaging. Compare this to calling a dealer, going through 2-3 people before actually talking to a service advisor. Repeat that process for anytime you have to change your appointment, etc.

We have a great Tesla service center in Central IL (Bloomington-Normal). Our Volvo service experience was horrible (both local dealers have/had bad reputations). Our friend with a BMW M5 would go 90 miles extra to avoid our local BMW dealer. Neither of us ever felt compelled to make YouTube videos.
it's hard to filter out a lot of the crap online, but what you're reporting is the normal with Tesla. A huge portion of the problems reported or talked about online fall into the realm of propaganda more so than actual user testimony. I've owned two Teslas, an X and a Y. Both super early production, both 100% problem free. My brother currently owns an S and a Y. Many of my friends and colleagues as well as other family members have them now. I know a service manager at a local Tesla SC -- like we're really good friends. Of everyone I know with a Tesla, the only problems I've seen are a couple faulty 12V batteries -- which also happens with EVs from VW, btw. I had a front suspension air spring module replaced on my Model X after about 30K miles because I had a clunking noise. That was it in 4 1/2 years of owning that car...

Tesla's biggest shortcomings with service are first and foremost that they absolutely suck at producing a parts inventory. If you need to order parts, you have to wait and wait and wait... That's pretty much par for the course though right now with all manufacturers, especially on late models, due to current labor and supply chain issues. Tesla controls all the parts availability and unlike your extremely common, Ford/ GM/ Toyota/ Honda... there are no third party or aftermarket replacement parts for most things in the car. There are performance upgrades and such becoming more common, but if you need a new door latch or MCU/ECU or sensor wire harness, you have to get it from Tesla.

The other issue they have is inconsistent service. All their service centers are factory-franchised, but they are independently operated and managed. Some of these locations ABSOLUTELY SUCK, at handling customers and doing the job they're supposed to do.

We've had our Model Y since June 2020. Only issue I've had is the OEM Goodyear tires on the 20" Induction wheels are shit tires. Replaced. We've got just under 25K miles on the car, would have more if not for all the pandemic BS. Runs great, no issues.

Sure, there are credible accounts of problematic Teslas or outright lemons. Happens with any make and model of vehicle. The Teslas have been the lowest maintenance, most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. And I have owned LOTs of cars both personally and for business use. Would not hesitate to buy Tesla again. And yes, I think CyberTruck is ugly. Like I don't think I could really pull it off. I'm still buying one though. Just because.

Edit> Oh, and Rich Rebuilds is a certified drama queen who has been confirmed to misrepresent and play things up in his videos. Maybe y'all forgot what he and his crew did at the Rivian First Mile event.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Take it to your gas station or a tyre shop and ask them to rotate the tyres. For the Teslas you do need to mke sure they know how to lift/jack a Tesla. May be similar considerations on a Rivisn (need to protect the battery).
I did mine as Discount Tire. The first time I did ask them if they know how to do it, and they said yes, then I asked them to show me the manuals they use, and they did. I agree, tires will not need a to the service center.

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
Rich Rebuilds was a handful of referrals away from a free Tesla Roadster.

Then Tesla pulled him from the referral program. Tesla never said why but he kept trying to circumvent Tesla safety protocols and told others how to do so.

Rich is essentially a spurned former employee propagandizing about his former employer.

"Once a Tesla reaches 100k miles its battery pack has been replaced 2 or 3 times. Its drive unit has been replaced 2 or 3 times" is complete and total bovine feces.

Sponsored

HTownB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Had my used 2016 Model S 2+ years. So far just a computer screen glitch that Tesla came to my house to fix. My only real beef is I took mine in for a 2 year checkup to get some things done recommended in the manual and it took 2 days. Minor annoyance for something Ford would knock out sane day. That said, Iā€™ve also had Ford take nearly a week with my truck in the shop to fix an a/c under warranty while telling me everyday along the way it will be done the next day.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I had a front suspension air spring module replaced on my Model X after about 30K miles because I had a clunking noise.
I don't want to go off topic too much but didn't want to start a new thread for this either. I have never owned a vehicle with air suspension. Can anyone reading this that owned one share your experience? Especially if it is a relatively older vehicle. I am planing to keep my R1 for a long time (passed warranty) and trying to see what I am signing up for.

CharlieSA

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Rogue, 2018 Acadia
Occupation
Number geek
Edit> Oh, and Rich Rebuilds is a certified drama queen who has been confirmed to misrepresent and play things up in his videos. Maybe y'all forgot what he and his crew did at the Rivian First Mile event.
Iā€™d like to know more about that Rivian first mile thing. And how he misrepresents. I think heā€™s pretty accurate on a lot of things

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I don't want to go off topic too much but didn't want to start a new thread for this either. I have never owned a vehicle with air suspension. Can anyone reading this that owned one share your experience? Especially if it is a relatively older vehicle. I am planing to keep my R1 for a long time (passed warranty) and trying to see what I am signing up for.
I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with air suspension and have had no issues with it. It is a smaller range of 4.1 inches compared to Rivianā€™s 6.5 inches.

Reactions: Max

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

my 2016 Ram has air suspension as well. I know it isn't "old" but it works great. It is a really smooth ride.

Reactions: Max

Sponsored

Zach05855

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots moreā€¦
Occupation
Software Developer
Iā€™d like to know more about that Rivian first mile thing. And how he misrepresents. I think heā€™s pretty accurate on a lot of things
He is accurate on many things, especially with his earlier videos. But heā€™s a drama queen and attention whore. His most well known video where he does the cheap fix on a Tesla battery when Tesla wanted $22K+ to replace it was the turning point though. The fix he did on the pack was legit, although it failed shortly after, probably due to the condition of the entire pack and car around it. And they misrepresented the situation as to why Tesla would not repair the pack ā€” vehicle with salvaged title, needed to go to authorized body shop for full rebuild of the car to clear the title. Tesla SC would not touch it. Thereā€™s some more details regarding that particular car and some of his other videos on TMC and some other forums ā€” much of which was going on before Rich got ahold of the car. The biggest issue is he overly dramatizes the situations. No one would have thought any less of him for the battery pack repair video if it were presented for what it was

Rich and the couple others with him were kicked out of the Rivian First Mile event when they refused to take instruction from the Rivian Guide and drove the truck off the course to attempt other off-road activities. Everywhere he goes he acts like heā€™s some mega-superstar that can do whatever he wants. Which is a shame, as he comes across in his videos as such a wonderful person. News of their actions at the Rivian First Mile traveled fast and got them uninvited from the Hummer EV media drive.

I 100% believe he is as passionate and knowledgeable about these cars as he seems in his videos, which is commendable in its own right. And I applaud his willingness to experimentally rig things up and find workarounds as he hacks a solution together. But he exaggerates and misrepresents and adds drama where there is none, all in an attempt to drive more traffic to his channel.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Ignored the rules, which are agreed to when you sign the waivers at the event, - broke the course speed limit, went off course.
Then accused event staff of ā€œbullyingā€ when they asked for his video after to see what he did.

Generally when playing with someone elseā€™s toys, you have to follow their rules.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Not to throw flames on a raging fire but this is a case where a dealer network might help, but then again, as I was typing this, I just remembered I have a factory recall on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, the leather material covering the dash is delaminating. The part has been on order since January 2020 (not a typo) and every 3 months I make a call and am given a date 3 months in the futureā€¦. so ignore the first sentence in this paragraph, having the dealer has brought me no advantage hereā€¦.
Was your dash delaminating the recall? I had this start to happen on my '15 Grand Cherokee. I also had to have the hood replaced under the corrosion warranty due to a known defect, but Jeep never issued a recall. When the problem popped up the dealer was well aware of the problem. Plus about three other recalls over the years, including the "shifter" that doesn't move that they determined was dangerous.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Was your dash delaminating the recall? I had this start to happen on my '15 Grand Cherokee. I also had to have the hood replaced under the corrosion warranty due to a known defect, but Jeep never issued a recall. When the problem popped up the dealer was well aware of the problem. Plus about three other recalls over the years, including the "shifter" that doesn't move that they determined was dangerous.

What a strange series of choices leading to such a awful design in that shifter.
Sponsored