Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
Howdy Folks
I'm very keen to order a Rivian R1T 400mi version, but am thinking about the things required to make it RHD/export worthy.

Obviously the steering column, pedal box and handbrake/park brake would need to get switched over as per most conversions, but also the 110 outlets would need replacing with 240v AS3112 connectors - which should only really require replacing the inverter module and the physical plugs and possibly higher gauge wiring.

Aside from those very minor options, the charging points would remain the same as would the bed release and the flashlight (we tend to have switches for stuff on the side which isnt exposed to traffic), the lights wouldn't have to change, the wheels are all fine (though I doubt the 21" being custom sized would be popular here).

I'd love Rivian to release a statement about when they're likely to export but given the delays and the fact many of you in North America won't see the 400mi pack for 2 years, I doubt this will be for quite some time.

I'm patient, but I'm not sure I'm 3-5 years patient. We now have enough infrastructure in South Australia that a Rivian would pretty much be able to go anywhere without too much range anxiety.... I'd love a 400mi release edition (because that colour is niiiice), with a fixed roof, forest green interior, premium sound system and the camp kitchen...

Any other Aussies/non US/CA people here have their own countries in mind for pre-export mods? Sure some local company here could probably do the conversion, especially if its just a matter of swapping the dash components around, but would be far more well built if it came from the factory built to purpose...

Cheers
Sponsored

Elks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FPV Pursuit Ute
It's an interesting question.

One of the major hindrances to getting vehicles to Aus has been emissions compliance, and this is a non-issue with EV's, so we should see more of them.

But it depends on the way the vehicle electronics are configured, doing an aftermarket conversion may not be feasible. It's not like you can just cut and extend a loom in a modern EV. Conversely, with no engine/trans, etc to worry about the mechanical side of a RHD version would be quite simple. Factors that often make it harder are the placement of things like the HVAC systems which LHD only cars often place under the dashboard on the RHS right where you'd like to put the steering column.

But in a country where the number 1 & 2 best selling vehicles are Pickups, and 8 the top 10 selling vehicles are either Pick-ups or SUV's. There is a demand for this type ofvehicle.

Can anyone from Rivian advise? Even if it's a few years away.

OP
OP

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
It's an interesting question.

One of the major hindrances to getting vehicles to Aus has been emissions compliance, and this is a non-issue with EV's, so we should see more of them.

But it depends on the way the vehicle electronics are configured, doing an aftermarket conversion may not be feasible. It's not like you can just cut and extend a loom in a modern EV. Conversely, with no engine/trans, etc to worry about the mechanical side of a RHD version would be quite simple. Factors that often make it harder are the placement of things like the HVAC systems which LHD only cars often place under the dashboard on the RHS right where you'd like to put the steering column.

But in a country where the number 1 & 2 best selling vehicles are Pickups, and 8 the top 10 selling vehicles are either Pick-ups or SUV's. There is a demand for this type ofvehicle.

Can anyone from Rivian advise? Even if it's a few years away.
Agree with the noted point about not having running gear to worry about. Having helped a friend do a RHD conversion on a Pontiac Fiero, the looms and wiring is never an issue (just make a loom, or buy one from Rivian fit for purpose). HVAC similarly shouldn't be too constrained, in the worse case you just fabricate a mirror image of the dash, hvac blend unit and heater/cooler core.

I think we'll be having a MUCH easier time with importing and compliance, as you noted, no emissions. The compliance issues would be safety/ANCAP ratings, airbags, height of lighting and indicators, seatbelts, and other minor things. I doubt that they'll need to be redesigned or customized to our standards, but we won't be allowed to import them without the govt certifying that the vehicle is safe. Considering they've dropped the cars from a few metres height onto a rock/type/thing, I also don't see this being an issue. Maybe a safety issue with batteries, ie what happens in an accident when the battery tray is cracked? Do they catch on fire/is there a fire suppression system?

Definately there is a huuuuge market here for the R1S and R1T. The main hurdle I see coming in to effect, is the push from 3 states to tax EV's, because they don't pay for fuel they don't actually pay the 40% excise tax that supposedly pays for road infrastructure. Which sucks, because the Rivians will be in the price range where we would have to pay luxury vehicle tax too. So really, they should be pushing a tax break to encourage EV's, and then when sufficient % of population has EVs, then let the recharge stations/registration/CTP cover the tax. But maybe make it related to how much the car travels in a year, like some other countries.

Would also love for Rivian to chime in here. I'd even be happy to be an early adopter and test the hell out of the car in the SA outback...
Sponsored