First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
One of the first people who took delivery of their Dream, on his way home, used a 350kW charger and it took 25 mins to get to 300 mi of additional charge.

I think the range anxiety will disappear for the most part with the 900-volt architecture.
Sponsored

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
One of the first people who took delivery of their Dream, on his way home, used a 350kW charger and it took 25 mins to get to 300 mi of additional charge.

I think the range anxiety will disappear for the most part with the 900-volt architecture.
Nice :) I'd love that.
Do you have a link to source maybe?

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes

Actually, that's a solid but unimpressive charge rate that doesn't require 900v architecture. They added approximately 68kw in 25 minutes, charging up to about 72% (360mi/500mi), which means they averaged about 162kw of charge rate. That's better than most current EV's, slightly better than an eTron which would have done the same at around 150kw average.

Conversely, Rivian is stating 140mi in 20 mins. This works out to an average charge rate of 175kw, so the Lucid experience described is actually slower than what Rivian projects to be possible (though not proven), speaking strictly in terms of charging speed (kw delivered per unit of time).

What's impressive is the range per unit of time, but that's merely a reflection of the Lucid's energy efficiency (4.4mi/kw), not it's charging prowess.

However, as we know, that's one charging experience at an EA station, which isn't to say another person won't report adding 400mi in 25 minutes tomorrow. Or, that they are brand new and charging speeds will optimize over time.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR

What ? Are you telling me of the first 20 people who took delivery of a brand new EV, some one has already posted information about the charging curve on the very first day !

Sponsored

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
What ? Are you telling me of the first 20 people who took delivery of a brand new EV, some one has already posted information about the charging curve on the very first day !
That's what happens when you deliver to more than just employees under NDA. :)

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
That's what happens when you deliver to more than just employees under NDA. :)
A Rivian employee made a nearly identical post (different numbers of course) on Reddit (they are also the Mod of that forum) a couple weeks ago, just FYI.

Emme Hall also posted her charging experience during Rebelle Rally (which had as much to do with the source as the vehicle). But, with a reliable source, the R1T was able to maintain 180kw up to 80%.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
A Rivian employee made a nearly identical post (different numbers of course) on Reddit (they are also the Mod of that forum) a couple weeks ago, just FYI.
Interesting. I hadn't seen that. Glad to know they're allowed to share those kinds of details. Anything new or interesting learned from the post? (Not being snide. I'm genuinely interested)

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes

Emme Hall also posted her charging experience during Rebelle Rally (which had as much to do with the source as the vehicle). But, with a reliable source, the R1T was able to maintain 180kw up to 80%.
Here is the employee report:

I just did a 3000+ mile road trip in my R1T. It was very tame on the road charging-wise, pretty similar to the Telsa I owned for 4+ years (2015 Model S 90D). I had done most of the same trip in the Telsa previously. Electrify America worked better than I expected, but it still has some quirks compared to the supercharger network. I frequently had to change plugs to get good speeds or a get a working connection, but I never found a station down completely. I was getting significantly better speeds on EA with the Rivian, resulting in shorter charge stops than with my old Model S. Average charging speeds above 100kW for most of the session rather than just peaking above it for a bit. I was able to go 600 miles in a day twice on the trip without too much effort. All that being said, plan your routes carefully and have backup plans for if fast chargers are out.

So, it's one experience in a world of volatile experiences, and nothing of too much substance.

Actually, I'll backtrack - I don't know he's actually an employee for certain. He just claims to own one so the odds are in favor. Or, because he posted, that may mean he's one of the rare non-employees to have taken delivery. Who knows, the question was about charging experience, so back to that.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Here is the employee report:

I just did a 3000+ mile road trip in my R1T. It was very tame on the road charging-wise, pretty similar to the Telsa I owned for 4+ years (2015 Model S 90D). I had done most of the same trip in the Telsa previously. Electrify America worked better than I expected, but it still has some quirks compared to the supercharger network. I frequently had to change plugs to get good speeds or a get a working connection, but I never found a station down completely. I was getting significantly better speeds on EA with the Rivian, resulting in shorter charge stops than with my old Model S. Average charging speeds above 100kW for most of the session rather than just peaking above it for a bit. I was able to go 600 miles in a day twice on the trip without too much effort. All that being said, plan your routes carefully and have backup plans for if fast chargers are out.

So, it's one experience in a world of volatile experiences, and nothing of too much substance.

Actually, I'll backtrack - I don't know he's actually an employee for certain. He just claims to own one so the odds are in favor. Or, because he posted, that may mean he's one of the rare non-employees to have taken delivery. Who knows, the question was about charging experience, so back to that.
A few of the folks have shared a couple of datapoints on their R1T charging experiences. Nothing particularly consistent so far. If something reliable pops up, I can pretty much promise I'll be sharing it.

Sponsored

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
Actually, that's a solid but unimpressive charge rate that doesn't require 900v architecture. They added approximately 68kw in 25 minutes, charging up to about 72% (360mi/500mi), which means they averaged about 162kw of charge rate. That's better than most current EV's, slightly better than an eTron which would have done the same at around 150kw average.

Conversely, Rivian is stating 140mi in 20 mins. This works out to an average charge rate of 175kw, so the Lucid experience described is actually slower than what Rivian projects to be possible (though not proven), speaking strictly in terms of charging speed (kw delivered per unit of time).

What's impressive is the range per unit of time, but that's merely a reflection of the Lucid's energy efficiency (4.4mi/kw), not it's charging prowess.

However, as we know, that's one charging experience at an EA station, which isn't to say another person won't report adding 400mi in 25 minutes tomorrow. Or, that they are brand new and charging speeds will optimize over time.
Thank you for your reply. I do, however, struggle to understand one of your points.

First of all, not everything has to be a race between companies or products. I posted that note in the spirit of an update the new Lucid owner mentioned as a win and accomplishment for a brand new American auto manufacturer and the EV market.

Second, per your numbers Rivian will be able to add 140 miles of range in 20 mins. Lucid owner added 300 miles in 25 mins. From the users' perspective, the Lucid one - on this instance - is very positive. Although, Rivian's performance would also suffice for me today. In five years, when Lucid owners are are able to stop-and-go to charging stations for 5 mins for their daily needs and I am waiting twice that amount, I do not think I will be as happy. This is factoring in that the R1T and R1S have nearly 2,000 lbs weight disadvantage over EV sadans, hence I'll be consuming my charge about 40% faster than those owners.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Thank you for your reply. I do, however, struggle to understand one of your points.

First of all, not everything has to be a race between companies or products. I posted that note in the spirit of an update the new Lucid owner mentioned as a win and accomplishment for a brand new American auto manufacturer and the EV market.

Second, per your numbers Rivian will be able to add 140 miles of range in 20 mins. Lucid owner added 300 miles in 25 mins. From the users' perspective, the Lucid one - on this instance - is very positive. Although, Rivian's performance would also suffice for me today. In five years, when Lucid owners are are able to stop-and-go to charging stations for 5 mins for their daily needs and I am waiting twice that amount, I do not think I will be as happy. This is factoring in that the R1T and R1S have nearly 2,000 lbs weight disadvantage over EV sadans, hence I'll be consuming my charge about 40% faster than those owners.
Sorry, my post was not supposed to be a Rivian vs. Lucid debate at all. I was just pointing out the math regarding charge rate clarify that the speeds noted were not tied to 900v which seemed to be the conclusion of your post.

For the same reason, I would expect the Lucid to actually be able to add about 425-450mi, or more, in 25 minutes once everything has been optimized (250kw average speed), which would be taking advantage of that architecture and energy efficiency.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed

Just for comparison, my Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor is also averaging 4.4mi/kWh or 22.73kWh/100mi or 14.12kWh/100km over 10000 miles that I have driven so far, mostly freeway miles.
Sponsored