First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
I wonder if they can produce R1T's and R1S's on the same line? Or do they have a dedicated part of the factory for Amazon van's, R1T's and now R1S's models. Legacy manufacturers I believe can produce multiple lines at the same production facility. In truth, what we are all wanting i'm guessing is some form of communication??
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I wonder if they can produce R1T's and R1S's on the same line? Or do they have a dedicated part of the factory for Amazon van's, R1T's and now R1S's models. Legacy manufacturers I believe can produce multiple lines at the same production facility. In truth, what we are all wanting i'm guessing is some form of communication??
They have 2 lines:

1) R1 line which will make both the R1T and the R1S.

2) "EDV" (Electric Delivery Vehicle) line which will make the vans for Amazon.

Ioman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Frustrating that there is a delay, but I think it's for the best. There are a couple things they are likely considering:

1) Using the R1T as a beta test around service, communications, complaints so they can resolve as many as possible before the RS1 comes out. Make sure they are staffed up appropriately etc.

2) Lining up reviews for the press, which likely includes press trips to some trails, etc. This takes time and they will not want to this up as it could have a negative effect on their IPO

3) Their IPO planning: They might want to minimize any negative press around the above that I mentioned. Right now they are receiving great reviews, minimal complaints from customers, have a couple products in the market (the RT1 and the Amazon delivery Van) that are getting rave reviews. Having the RS1 available for launch right after an IPO will create a ton of anticipation and positive influence on their stock price IMO - investors will be excited that a brand with amazing press, customer feedback and a product in the market, has another product just about to launch.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I do not mind delays in production as long as said delays result in improvement of the vehicle. Rivian can learn and see first hand of releasing a product that is not ready to be consumed, ie cyberpunk2077 video game. Stay with me now for all those that do not know or care about a video game.

Cyberpunk2077 is a video game that released its trailer over 8 years ago and the anticipation for this game was at an all time high. The game was to revolutionize the gaming community.

The company, CDPR, delayed the release several times to the dismay of the consumers until they finally decided to release their product, knowing it was not ready.

the result, Sony dropping the game completely and not allowing PlayStation users to buy the game due to how broken it was and how poorly it performed. The company CDPR’s reputation will forever be tarnished and remains damaged today. I do realize this example in some ways is very different from Rivians, but could also end up being similar if they aren’t careful. Rivian needs to delay this product until they are confident that the product is ready for mass consumption with minimal issues.

Ioman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I do not mind delays in production as long as said delays result in improvement of the vehicle. Rivian can learn and see first hand of releasing a product that is not ready to be consumed, ie cyberpunk2077 video game. Stay with me now for all those that do not know or care about a video game.

Cyberpunk2077 is a video game that released its trailer over 8 years ago and the anticipation for this game was at an all time high. The game was to revolutionize the gaming community.

The company, CDPR, delayed the release several times to the dismay of the consumers until they finally decided to release their product, knowing it was not ready.

the result, Sony dropping the game completely and not allowing PlayStation users to buy the game due to how broken it was and how poorly it performed. The company CDPR’s reputation will forever be tarnished and remains damaged today. I do realize this example in some ways is very different from Rivians, but could also end up being similar if they aren’t careful. Rivian needs to delay this product until they are confident that the product is ready for mass consumption with minimal issues.

I was one of the suckers that got Cyberpunk on the first day. It was horrible and bug ridden (on the PC) and I just stopped playing it. What a waste of money. Great comparison!

Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I was one of the suckers that got Cyberpunk on the first day. It was horrible and bug ridden (on the PC) and I just stopped playing it. What a waste of money. Great comparison!
I was that sucker too. Love the idea of the game, just wasn’t ready to be released

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

Ehh, I got cyberpunk on PC and never had a game breaking bug. Was it under delivered? Sure, but was still a good game.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Ehh, I got cyberpunk on PC and never had a game breaking bug. Was it under delivered? Sure, but was still a good game.
Either way, they made a mistake releasing the game at that time. Lost most of the console players

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

My “steelcase” edition for the PS4 is still in its plastic shrink wrap. It’s a cautionary tale, no doubt, but I think Rivian is past that point. Going from an R1T to an R1S is hopefully not as dramatic as Witcher 3 to Cyberpunk, both in type of product and execution.

Sponsored

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Glad to see so many nerds like myself on here
I challenge anyone reading a conventional forum board (i.e. not facebook/reddit/twitter/etc. groups) for a niche subject (electric truck), from a startup yet to sell their first widget to convince anyone that they're not a nerd.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
If Rivian was an ICE maker, I would agree to delay the R1S. I still do if there are quality issues.

However, the platform is the same as the R1T. I am sure this is over simplified…but is it really?

I guess I am simply anxious for my Rivian and looking forward to my test drive in 18 days…..also saw the R1S on another post at Sonoma Raceway. Sure hope we get to test drive it!

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Easy for anyone going the configuration page to see this
Rivian R1T R1S Reviewers Saying JANUARY for R1S Deliveries 1635034094800

and conclude deliveries will start in January.

We've had people on this forum placing a reservation in the last few weeks thinking that January is a delivery date on their pre-order.
They see this:
Deliveries begin January 2022

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
It is also unclear for Launch Edition because it is easy to ready that page and think LE starts in January as well when what we have been hearing says LE starts well before then.
Sponsored