Reviewers Saying JANUARY for R1S Deliveries

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
I am hoping for a may delivery for my R1S for my large family camping trip, but if not, then I'll get it when I get it. I'm not going to cancel my reservation, especially after all of the reviews I've watched today!
Sponsored

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
The lack of honest, open, and PRO-ACTIVE communications about these kinds of changes is increasingly frustrating.
Settle down. What makes you assume there's a change? The Adventure trim levels of the T and S were always slated for January.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I am hoping for a may delivery for my R1S for my large family camping trip, but if not, then I'll get it when I get it. I'm not going to cancel my reservation, especially after all of the reviews I've watched today!
I think I was naively optimistic and I was hoping for my LE R1S for a cross-country trip from Denver to San Diego at Christmas. Guess I'll recalibrate expectations with my family that we'll probably be taking the Subaru.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Settle down. What makes you assume there's a change? The Adventure trim levels of the T and S were always slated for January.
This doesn't differentiate trim levels. This just says, in general, that the R1S starts shipping in January. I'm a Launch Edition order holder and it's not entirely clear these days what relevance that really has in terms of delivery timing.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This doesn't differentiate trim levels. This just says, in general, that the R1S starts shipping in January. I'm a Launch Edition order holder and it's not entirely clear these days what relevance that really has in terms of delivery timing.
Lol, I keep seeing LE holders saying stuff like this when they aren't scheduled to receive their vehicle tomorrow as if non-LE holders are getting some special treatment. There probably won't be many or any non-LE deliveries for a year and LE deliveries are, as always, being prioritized.

Sponsored

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Disappointed if true, but not a whole lot to be done. There is not another vehicle on the market I want (or even close). I am hoping for 2021, but I guess we'll see. Crossed the two year mark on the waiting list at this point as I am sure many other folks on here have...

OP
OP
paariv

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Lol, I keep seeing LE holders saying stuff like this when they aren't scheduled to receive their vehicle tomorrow as if non-LE holders are getting some special treatment. There probably won't be many or any non-LE deliveries for a year and LE deliveries are, as always, being prioritized.
The issue here is a bit different than prioritizing LE orders over regular ones. And that's an unfair characterization of the complaints.

The issue is that they've been talking for months about fall deliveries for both the LE R1T and the LE R1S (yes, with allowances that the LE delivery process will extend into 2022). But it sure seems, based on what we're hearing from reviewers and articles, that few, if any, R1Ses will be delivered in 2021.

It'd be nice for them to actually admit that instead of saying nothing publicly. If they're saying it to the press on background, they should come out and say it to us too!

Instead, it seems likely they'll pretend that 1-2 dozen employee deliveries the week of Christmas 2021 means they met their scheduling projections (which, of course, are distinct from commitments). Why they can't just own up to this is beyond me.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

With the R1T being in the running for NATOY, I'm wondering it Rivian is just saying they won't be delivering the R1S this year so they can be in the running for 2022 with the R1S for the first time.

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
The two engineers I talked to made it sound like it wasn't really very close. They've got mules that have been seen recently around CA, IL, and CO. My short conversation with Special Projects chief, Ryan Gase, really made me feel like they were trying to get the R1T produced at scale before beginning R1S production.
From someone who was at the Breckenridge event.

Evan S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T Adventure Trim, Quad Motor, BM/Ash, 20"
Clubs

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
None of us have the numbers, but the R1T is Rivian's flagship product. I highly doubt that more than half their pre-orders are for the R1S.

Besides a handful of people, we also do not have any guide contact or real timetable for the R1T. The vast majority of us are in the same boat waiting for more information on sale and delivery.
FWIW - The above article is from this week with Rivian manufacturing chief Erik Fields. That being said, still very likely and possible no R1S vehicles will be delivered prior to January....

Rivian R1T R1S Reviewers Saying JANUARY for R1S Deliveries 1632930431764

OP
OP
paariv

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
What remains to be seen if these year-end R1S deliveries are more like the September R1T insider deliveries or if they are actual deliveries to customers with no preexisting Rivian relationship that signal the beginning of ramp-up to production at scale.

Right now, and particularly given the "kinks" to work out in the preproduction R1Ts that were reviewed this week, it looks like last week's deliveries were more like the May guide contacts than anything else. Meaning that Rivian did enough to publicize a single, small, discrete event that technically meets a self-imposed deadline but then pauses immediately thereafter instead of continuing with the process at any volume. (Hope I'm wrong about this)

My guess is that the R1S will follow the same pattern. So maybe some insider-ish customers will get an R1S this year. And, yes, those are legitimate enough deliveries to count as deliveries this year in my book: Rivian will have met its semi-announced deadline. (Hope I'm wrong about this too)

But will that signal the beginning of production in earnest? Not unless they're making SUVs and completing deliveries every week thereafter, which is the more important question for most of us on this thread.

BadKarma!

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S & 2017 Ford Shelby GT350R
Occupation
Cyber Security
Clubs

To keep things easy I simply add 1 full year to whatever the latest guidance is regarding R1S deliveries. I placed my reservation in January and I know there are many people ahead of me.

If they say LE's are rolling out in Jan, 22' then I am ball parking Jan, 23' for my R1S.

Last edited:

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
So, I was just watching one of the many videos that came out yesterday () and he dropped at timestamp 26:15 that Rivian has 40,000 pre-orders. No mention of differentiating R1T/R1S but this is the first I've heard an actual number.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
So, I was just watching one of the many videos that came out yesterday () and he dropped at timestamp 26:15 that Rivian has 40,000 pre-orders. No mention of differentiating R1T/R1S but this is the first I've heard an actual number.
I was wondering the same thing after watching this a short time ago. Thanks for putting it out there.
Sponsored