First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
If Rivian was an ICE maker, I would agree to delay the R1S. I still do if there are quality issues.

However, the platform is the same as the R1T. I am sure this is over simplified…but is it really?
The R1T and R1S are reportedly being built on the same production line, but the wheel base is different between the R1T and R1S. On an automated production line, whether it's sled assembly, body welding, or final assembly, this means there will need to be at least two line configurations, including unique "programs" for many robots/machines. Here's a simple example of the devil in the details - we have been told (in a video as I recall) that every fastener is being torque monitored during assembly. Tonneau assembly applies to the R1T, but not to the R1S. Rear liftgate assembly applies to the R1S, but not the R1T. All this has to be configured as MES parameters and instructions, that's just one of hundreds/thousands.

It's also not clear whether they will build R1T and R1S in batches (perhaps daily or weekly runs) or if they are flexible enough to run either vehicle at any time without a "line changeover". This is the world of MES (Manufacturing Execution Systems), the professional world I have lived in for the past 30 years, as a plant floor systems integration electrical engineer.

It makes perfect sense that Rivian is only building the R1T at this time so they can fine tune everything. By solving 100% of the assembly challenges on the R1T, they can focus on solving R1S problems later, knowing that any new problems are a function of the R1S asembly process. Same platform, sort of, but from a manufacturing execution viewpoint, it's a completely different product with a new set of challenges to solve.
Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
The R1T and R1S are reportedly being built on the same production line, but the wheel base is different between the R1T and R1S. On an automated production line, whether it's sled assembly, body welding, or final assembly, this means there will need to be at least two line configurations, including unique "programs" for many robots/machines. Here's a simple example of the devil in the details - we have been told (in a video as I recall) that every fastener is being torque monitored during assembly. Tonneau assembly applies to the R1T, but not to the R1S. Rear liftgate assembly applies to the R1S, but not the R1T. All this has to be configured as MES parameters and instructions, that's just one of hundreds/thousands.

It's also not clear whether they will build R1T and R1S in batches (perhaps daily or weekly runs) or if they are flexible enough to run either vehicle at any time without a "line changeover". This is the world of MES (Manufacturing Execution Systems), the professional world I have lived in for the past 30 years, as a plant floor systems integration electrical engineer.

It makes perfect sense that Rivian is only building the R1T at this time so they can fine tune everything. By solving 100% of the assembly challenges on the R1T, they can focus on solving R1S problems later, knowing that any new problems are a function of the R1S asembly process. Same platform, sort of, but from a manufacturing execution viewpoint, it's a completely different product with a new set of challenges to solve.
Makes total sense.

somewhere in th original Normal tour a few weeks ago now. It was mentioned the R1S and R1T will be on the same line.

the cool thing about automation is that the MES you described once tuned could switch between the two vehicles. So looks like Q1 for deliveries of the R1S is more likely….?

now I am just trying to justify December deliveries…and if that happens it will probably be to employees?

I appreciate the MES info!

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It is also unclear for Launch Edition because it is easy to ready that page and think LE starts in January as well when what we have been hearing says LE starts well before then.
LE used to have a starts delivery above it like the non LE does but was removed. That label is for the sectio below.

In the updated S1 as of 10/22/2021 they still say they are expecting to start R1S deliveries in December, probably a slow roll like the R1Ts are starting but I would assume would ramp up faster since they are on the same line.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
In the updated S1 as of 10/22/2021 they still say they are expecting to start R1S deliveries in December, probably a slow roll like the R1Ts are starting but I would assume would ramp up faster since they are on the same line.
And given that this is now revenue guidance for investors, they aren't going to want my to miss that date. A slow ramp is to be expected but they have committed to deliveries starting in December, even if just a token few.

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
LE used to have a starts delivery above it like the non LE does but was removed. That label is for the sectio below.

I'm hopeful that itll be orders of magnitude faster given that its the same skateboard and fewer parts (gear shuttle, cover) etc.

That being said, I'm not holding my breath for my LE till march.
Sponsored