electruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo XC60
Ran across these while perusing Rivian's job openings. Found them a little more insightful than the expected engineering and production job openings. Good to see some activity on the delivery and post-delivery fronts. Let the speculation begin....

Rivian Insurance Agency
https://jobs.lever.co/rivian.com/d413e186-7db2-48ea-92a2-f9dd47bc3cce

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 9.41.25 PM.png

Rivian’s Global Collision Repair Program
https://jobs.lever.co/rivian.com/eca3ef71-0557-4a18-9b1a-03215f9ebb32

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 9.42.19 PM.png

Rivian’s Digital Commerce Team
https://jobs.lever.co/rivian.com/4d4606bd-6cfb-478d-97dc-a9ddf34158c2

Last edited by a moderator:

Electronaut

Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
Great find, you just discovered that Rivian plans to offer its own insurance (like Tesla) and also a collision repair program! Neither of these have been known until now.

I like that the company is thinking bigger scope and diversifying its business plan. By offering insurance and a repair program they'll continue to generate revenue from customers even after the vehicle sale.

EyeOnRivian

Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
Interesting that the Rivian Insurance Agency Data Manager position is in Normal (factory) where as the Program Manger for the Collision Repair Program is in Plymouth (headquarters).

Here's a description of the 3rd job posting in the OP:

Rivian’s Digital Commerce Team is responsible for the end-to-end implementation of the digital experience outside the vehicle (e.g. vehicle configurator, payment gateway, vehicle delivery management, service scheduling) across web, mobile app and in-store. To that end, we are developing a world-class commerce platform that will make learning about and purchasing electric adventure vehicles intuitive, seamless and fun. We are seeking Full Stack Sr. Software Engineer(s) who will be developing large scale client-side applications using the latest javascript features, frameworks and tooling. She/He will be building from the ground up with an obsession towards making these experiences memorable for the customers.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
If they plan to have their own insurance, perhaps a subscription plan will be offered, in addition to a purchase or lease. That’s one piece I’ve been waiting to hear.

OP
electruck

electruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo XC60
It will be interesting to see if they can offer insurance at a rate that competes with a bundled home/auto policy from a traditional insurer.

When Volvo first started offering their subscription plan, it seemed to make a little sense in that they were in theory appealing to a younger buyer who may not yet own a home.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I’m not a fan of telematics insurance, based on driving behavior, but like the idea of using it based on usage...miles driven. My carrier gives an option to have a black box for behavior or usage, which I like, because I only drive 7-10K miles/year.

I like the idea of a subscription plan, because of it’s simplicity, but it needs to be cost effective, similar to what Volvo has done.

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
I am a very safe driver . Only one accident not my fault in 750,000 miles but I do drive fast. So no black box for me ever.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagon; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2009 Toyota Prius
The big picture on insurance is traditional insurance companies have no data on Rivians or anything like Rivians because there's never been anything like Rivians to insure. All electric drivetrain, novel skateboard architecture, highly sophisticated, unusual suspension, entirely new battery and vehicle management systems, aluminum body, steel underbody, and the list goes on and on.

Rivians are nightmares for a traditional insurance company to insure, and insurance rates for users, you and me, will be through the roof. Rivian has to do what Tesla's done, and insure its own.

I welcome this. We're likely to get much better coverage at much better rates than any existing insurance company will offer, notwithstanding that State Farm Insurance is headquartered next door to Normal. Indeed, I suspect almost everyone working in Rivian's insurance department will be former State Farm folks.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicles
Clarity Electric
My insurance agent was apparently required to present the "black box" option. He was shaking his head "no" the whole time he was explaining/presenting it. Not sure if it was because my specific situation or if that was SOP for him.
He also recommended against "accident forgiveness" (or vanishing deductibles) - they just bump the rates a bit at the front end to cover for it.

EyeOnRivian

Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T