Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Ran across these while perusing Rivian's job openings. Found them a little more insightful than the expected engineering and production job openings. Good to see some activity on the delivery and post-delivery fronts. Let the speculation begin....

Rivian Insurance Agency
https://jobs.lever.co/rivian.com/d413e186-7db2-48ea-92a2-f9dd47bc3cce

Rivian R1T R1S Revealing job postings - Rivian Insurance Agency and Global Collision Repair Program Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 9.41.25 PM

Rivian’s Global Collision Repair Program
https://jobs.lever.co/rivian.com/eca3ef71-0557-4a18-9b1a-03215f9ebb32

Rivian R1T R1S Revealing job postings - Rivian Insurance Agency and Global Collision Repair Program Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 9.42.19 PM

Rivian’s Digital Commerce Team
https://jobs.lever.co/rivian.com/4d4606bd-6cfb-478d-97dc-a9ddf34158c2
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Electronaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
Great find, you just discovered that Rivian plans to offer its own insurance (like Tesla) and also a collision repair program! Neither of these have been known until now.

I like that the company is thinking bigger scope and diversifying its business plan. By offering insurance and a repair program they'll continue to generate revenue from customers even after the vehicle sale.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Interesting that the Rivian Insurance Agency Data Manager position is in Normal (factory) where as the Program Manger for the Collision Repair Program is in Plymouth (headquarters).

Here's a description of the 3rd job posting in the OP:

Rivian’s Digital Commerce Team is responsible for the end-to-end implementation of the digital experience outside the vehicle (e.g. vehicle configurator, payment gateway, vehicle delivery management, service scheduling) across web, mobile app and in-store. To that end, we are developing a world-class commerce platform that will make learning about and purchasing electric adventure vehicles intuitive, seamless and fun. We are seeking Full Stack Sr. Software Engineer(s) who will be developing large scale client-side applications using the latest javascript features, frameworks and tooling. She/He will be building from the ground up with an obsession towards making these experiences memorable for the customers.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
If they plan to have their own insurance, perhaps a subscription plan will be offered, in addition to a purchase or lease. That’s one piece I’ve been waiting to hear.

OP
OP
electruck

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Sponsored

OP
OP
electruck

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It will be interesting to see if they can offer insurance at a rate that competes with a bundled home/auto policy from a traditional insurer.

When Volvo first started offering their subscription plan, it seemed to make a little sense in that they were in theory appealing to a younger buyer who may not yet own a home.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
I’m not a fan of telematics insurance, based on driving behavior, but like the idea of using it based on usage...miles driven. My carrier gives an option to have a black box for behavior or usage, which I like, because I only drive 7-10K miles/year.

I like the idea of a subscription plan, because of it’s simplicity, but it needs to be cost effective, similar to what Volvo has done.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Not really a fan of "telematics insurance" myself.
They wouldn't like my acceleration or cornering...I guess it's traditional insurance for me.

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
I am a very safe driver . Only one accident ( not my fault) in 750,000 miles but I do drive fast. So no black box for me ever.

Last edited:

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
The big picture on insurance is traditional insurance companies have no data on Rivians or anything like Rivians because there's never been anything like Rivians to insure. All electric drivetrain, novel skateboard architecture, highly sophisticated, unusual suspension, entirely new battery and vehicle management systems, aluminum body, steel underbody, and the list goes on and on.

Rivians are nightmares for a traditional insurance company to insure, and insurance rates for users, you and me, will be through the roof. Rivian has to do what Tesla's done, and insure its own.

I welcome this. We're likely to get much better coverage at much better rates than any existing insurance company will offer, notwithstanding that State Farm Insurance is headquartered next door to Normal. Indeed, I suspect almost everyone working in Rivian's insurance department will be former State Farm folks.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
My insurance agent was apparently required to present the "black box" option. He was shaking his head "no" the whole time he was explaining/presenting it. Not sure if it was because my specific situation or if that was SOP for him.
He also recommended against "accident forgiveness" (or vanishing deductibles) - they just bump the rates a bit at the front end to cover for it.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Resurrecting this thread about Insurance, and that Rivian is likely to offer it akin to recent announcement about funding through Rivian-Chase partnership. Now that we're (hopefully) about six months away from initial production vehicles leaving the nest, seemed a good time to raise this topic again.

Curious what experiences some Tesla owners here had dealing with auto insurance. I was unaware that Tesla offered it and that it may be the cheapest available (but what is "cheap"?) Like Tesla was a few years back, Rivian will be a newborn in the insurance world lacking any real basis for predictions on accident tendencies, typ. repair costs, and most importantly how being a marketed "Adventure" vehicle factors in.

Sure, as more & more Rivians hit the road, statistically fewer and fewer will be going off-the-road. Simple truth that vast majority will be almost exclusively onroad transportation (a really cool one!) and not ripping through the deserts or climbing rocks. The mere fact that Rivians are designed/meant for it must have an influence on insurance rating calculations.

The prospect for a Rivian subscription service like Volvo / Polestar and other select vehicle makers are doing now may be an appealing approach.

Last edited:

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

My premiums went up when I bought our 2018 Model X new, but it was expected. The next "youngest" vehicle in our household was 7 years old, so that's why I say it was expected. Tesla wasn't offering it's own insurance at the time so I stayed with our current provider, USAA. The premium has gone down over the last 2 years and we have no claims and no tickets. I also have my homeowner's policy and multiple investment/savings/checking accounts with USAA, so I'm sure that plays a role in determining the premium.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

^^ can you say what ballpark you pay annually (or semi-annual) for insurance on that Model X? That would be a good marker since the X is in the same general pricing category... or close anyway
Sponsored