OP
OP

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

NW Brah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
A quick report on my recent experience pulling my 15' jet boat north along 101.

TLDR; Outstanding performance, noticeable but well-estimated range reduction, DCFC manageable with some creativity.

I left SB with about 95 SoC. The truck handled as if there was nothing behind it. Despite the boat's small mass (~2500 lbs) the impact to range is substantial. The change in drag coefficient reduced my efficiency to about 1.6m/kWh. It dropped as low as 1.31m/kWh with a substantial (~25mph) headwind.

I charged at an EA station in Pismo Beach and pulled a peak of 212 kW from the 350kW nominal dispenser. I had to partially block one of the exits to the shopping center with the trailer. Fortunately, it was a lesser used entrance and didn't seem to impact the flow of traffic too greatly. People seem more amused than frustrated.

I stopped again in Soledad anticipating usage of EA hardware located there that I have used many times. The location and density of the dispensers pretty much ruled out using this station without substantially impeding the flow of traffic or unhitching the trailer. Luckily, EV Range, an up until then unfamiliar network to me, just installed four new dispensers on the other side of the parking lot. Not a user in site despite a full station across the lot.

I figured it was worth a shot and hooked up to the 200kW nominal unit. I pulled 165kW deep into the pack after going through their slightly clunky but functional registration and signup process. I say clunky in that it required manual entry of CC details. PayPal, Apple Wallet, card scan, tap, anything, really is more convenient that manual entry. In any case, the charge was sustained until about 90% when the dispenser kicked off. I had about a 20 mile buffer beyond my destination, so I didn't bother reinitializing.

One bothersome thing I found : while in reverse with the trailer connected, when backing at slow speeds if I slow to about 1mph, the truck with lock the ebrake, kick me into park and turn on the dome lights. If you are carefully backing up a trailer at night, the experience of being blasted by light when you are trying to technically navigating a truck/trailer combo is a bit disorienting. Imagine this is a software bug that should be worked out in time. Anybody know where to post such things? Github issue for their dev team ;)

In all, very content with the experience and I can happily work within the constraints of the infrastructure for the time being. In the future I look forward to pull through charging.

IMG_2298 (1).png

IMG_2289 (1).png

IMG_2195 (1).png
I have also experienced the reversing glitch. Although not while towing, but backing out of a somewhat steep driveway.

OP
OP

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

I have also experienced the reversing glitch. Although not while towing, but backing out of a somewhat steep driveway.
Interesting. Was your seatbelt undone at the time?
Sponsored