Sponsored

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

A quick report on my recent experience pulling my 15' jet boat north along 101.

TLDR; Outstanding performance, noticeable but well-estimated range reduction, DCFC manageable with some creativity.

I left SB with about 95 SoC. The truck handled as if there was nothing behind it. Despite the boat's small mass (~2500 lbs) the impact to range is substantial. The change in drag coefficient reduced my efficiency to about 1.6m/kWh. It dropped as low as 1.31m/kWh with a substantial (~25mph) headwind.

I charged at an EA station in Pismo Beach and pulled a peak of 212 kW from the 350kW nominal dispenser. I had to partially block one of the exits to the shopping center with the trailer. Fortunately, it was a lesser used entrance and didn't seem to impact the flow of traffic too greatly. People seem more amused than frustrated.

I stopped again in Soledad anticipating usage of EA hardware located there that I have used many times. The location and density of the dispensers pretty much ruled out using this station without substantially impeding the flow of traffic or unhitching the trailer. Luckily, EV Range, an up until then unfamiliar network to me, just installed four new dispensers on the other side of the parking lot. Not a user in site despite a full station across the lot.

I figured it was worth a shot and hooked up to the 200kW nominal unit. I pulled 165kW deep into the pack after going through their slightly clunky but functional registration and signup process. I say clunky in that it required manual entry of CC details. PayPal, Apple Wallet, card scan, tap, anything, really is more convenient that manual entry. In any case, the charge was sustained until about 90% when the dispenser kicked off. I had about a 20 mile buffer beyond my destination, so I didn't bother reinitializing.

One bothersome thing I found : while in reverse with the trailer connected, when backing at slow speeds if I slow to about 1mph, the truck with lock the ebrake, kick me into park and turn on the dome lights. If you are carefully backing up a trailer at night, the experience of being blasted by light when you are trying to technically navigating a truck/trailer combo is a bit disorienting. Imagine this is a software bug that should be worked out in time. Anybody know where to post such things? Github issue for their dev team ;)

In all, very content with the experience and I can happily work within the constraints of the infrastructure for the time being. In the future I look forward to pull through charging.

Rivian R1T R1S Report: Santa Barbara to Oakland Towing 15' Boat IMG_2298 (1)

Rivian R1T R1S Report: Santa Barbara to Oakland Towing 15' Boat IMG_2289 (1)

Rivian R1T R1S Report: Santa Barbara to Oakland Towing 15' Boat IMG_2195 (1)
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Clearly "trailer mode" is not mature yet... backing down a boat ramp usually involves riding the brakes and slow deliberate movements. Having the truck shift in to Park and apply the e-brake must be super annoying and a big waste of time.

Yes, please report the bug asap...

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
One bothersome thing I found : while in reverse with the trailer connected, when backing at slow speeds if I slow to about 1mph, the truck with lock the ebrake, kick me into park and turn on the dome lights.
This definitely needs attention if it's a bug. That being said - I've seen at least 3 posts now about similar and in one the person realized they were looking out of the back (turning around) enough that their butt comes off the seat, so the sensors think they've left the vehicle somehow. The old twist to look thing apparently makes the software upset if there isn't enough weight on that sensor.

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

This definitely needs attention if it's a bug. That being said - I've seen at least 3 posts now about similar and in one the person realized they were looking out of the back (turning around) enough that their butt comes off the seat, so the sensors think they've left the vehicle somehow. The old twist to look thing apparently makes the software upset if there isn't enough weight on that sensor.
I had the same issue in my Tesla model S. Any chance you were unbuckled while reversing that trailer?

If I reversed my model S out of my driveway unbuckled and lifted my weight at all to look around I would get an abrupt jam into park like you described.

Once I learned to buckle before reversing the problem disappeared.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
At many boat ramps you're forced to lift out of your seat due to the decline angle of the ramp. Sitting in your seat you can't see where the stern of the boat is going or if there's idiots walking behind the boat as you're backing it down the ramp (yes, I have had that happen!).

Last edited:
OP
OP

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

That's almost certainly what I was doing. Likely both unbuckled and over rotating/lifting to gain vantage of the boat's stern.

I will see if staying buckled and continuing to rotate/lift as I have done is sufficient to address the issue.

Even if Rivian comes back and says "feature not a bug" I'm going to file a ticket to get eyes on it.

Thanks for all of the help in diagnosis, guys!

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Yep, I've backed up my boat down the ramp into the lake without issue of the parking brake engaging. You either need to have your belt on you and buckled, or just have it buckled behind you. It relies on the seat weight sensor only if you don't use the belt.

JPC

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Limestone - Forest Edge - 21"
So you're telling me I'm going to have to constantly be looking for a Limestone R1T when I'm driving around Oakland? So far I've seen a white and a launch green in the Rockridge/Elmwood area.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I see a picture with a tarp or cover on the boat and another without.

DId you do your trip with the tarp on or off? If it was off, that could have impacted your drag coefficient giving you a worse number and subsequently, worse range.

Sponsored

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Cool trip!
We just took our Mini EV to Santa Barbara from South Orange County. Are there no charging stations in Santa Barbara? We had to go to go to Ventura to find an EA.

OP
OP

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Cool trip!
We just took our Mini EV to Santa Barbara from South Orange County. Are there no charging stations in Santa Barbara? We had to go to go to Ventura to find an EA.
There is an EA station off of La Cumbre. Brand new, not listed on many in-vehicle mapping tools. On plug share though!

EVGo nearby. 50kW though, unfortunately.

There is another larger EA station in Goleta.

OP
OP

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

I see a picture with a tarp or cover on the boat and another without.

DId you do your trip with the tarp on or off? If it was off, that could have impacted your drag coefficient giving you a worse number and subsequently, worse range.
I pulled the tarp as it was inflating and impeding my visibility in the rearview behind the boat.

Removal happened to also align with start of 30mph headwind zone...hard to decouple those variables, but I suspect the wind was the larger factor.

OP
OP

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

So you're telling me I'm going to have to constantly be looking for a Limestone R1T when I'm driving around Oakland? So far I've seen a white and a launch green in the Rockridge/Elmwood area.
See you around :cool:

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
There is an EA station off of La Cumbre. Brand new, not listed on many in-vehicle mapping tools. On plug share though!

EVGo nearby. 50kW though, unfortunately.

There is another larger EA station in Goleta.
Thanks, I will try the one off La Cumbre next time. Wasn't a huge stress since we usually stay in Ventura, but it's nice to know there is one.
Sponsored