crashmtb

Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I betcha this new plant will build battery packs and skateboards. vehicle assembly in normal.
Advertisement

E.S.

Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
The Lincoln SUV not being made(for now) is the only thing that’s known publicly. Ford is surely getting something out of the deal. You can bet there’s technology and knowledge transfer happening.

No company spends that sort of money for shits and giggles.
What ever info Ford is doing privately, is being kept very privately well. Ford made it very clear they have no intentions to collaborate with Rivian. I'm not convinced there is any knowledge or tech being shared here. Regarding spending that amount of $$ for shits 'n' giggles. At this point, I think Ford invested into them to increase their $$ portfolio (which may not be commonly "heard" of, but is commonly done by companies).

E.S.

Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Solid state is the holy grail of EV battery tech. Whoever gets there first will have an edge ...
If rumors are true, looks like Toyota will have that edge.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Reaction score
First Name
Duck
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
General Patton is quoted as having said, "A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow". I love the thought of a solid-state battery that is stable, energy-dense, and has a lower rate of degradation, but I wonder how long it's going to take to get these vehicles to market. When it is a reality, I'm guessing Rivian will be a leader in rolling out an awesome generation of SSBEVs.

Waiting for the next best thing is often an invitation to wait forever. I'm really looking forward to getting an R1T as soon as it's ready to roll. If someone manages to come out with a solid-state battery in three years, oh well..... Seven years from now, someone will be promising a Cold Fusion-powered vehicle "by next year!". I want to get out and about as soon as possible and start fording streams, climbing over mountains, cruising malls, and flying down the freeway. Those first two things may not happen very often, if at all, but the R1T will let me do it if I want to.

E.S.

Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
No doubt. It goes without saying that many of us are eager to see us get our Rivians (heck at this point, I think we'll be giddy to hear/see ANY one of us get their Rivian, lol). But with solid state batteries becoming a possibility down the road it make me wonder: Would people wait even longer if they knew 2nd generations R1s were to come with Solid States?

Driveout

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicles
2010 Lexus GS350
Occupation
Retired
If we use Tesla as an example of battery tech, the upcoming 4680 speaks to the immediate future. Solid state is the holy grail for current chemistry but there are significant hurdles. Even if a new whiz bang solid state were to be announced today there is still the issue of manufacture. Tesla still uses the 18650 in the world's fastest Plaid model S. These form factors still have legs. I don't care if Rivian use Ray-O-Vac as long as I can drive a decent distance and have some longevity.

MIG

Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Doubt they're ready for use in production vehicles. The solid-state batteries that are currently in use are not adaptable for consumer vehicles and although a number of manufacturers have made "breakthroughs" none are close to ready for manufacture at scale.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
Doubt they're ready for use in production vehicles. The solid-state batteries that are currently in use are not adaptable for consumer vehicles and although a number of manufacturers have made "breakthroughs" none are close to ready for manufacture at scale.
Solid power has solid state batteries in test cars as you read this.

Autolycus

Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
You got a source for that, because as of a May 3, 2021 press release, they were looking at producing cells for Ford to test in vehicles next year.

Under the new agreement, Ford will receive full-scale 100 ampere hour (Ah) cells from Solid Power for testing and integration into its future vehicles starting next year. Solid Power already is producing 20 Ah solid-state batteries on a pilot manufacturing line using lithium-ion production processes and equipment.

Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Taurus
Occupation
Product design engineer
Lead acid batteries are the DIRTIEST, most toxic, form of consumables on the market.

Having worked for an engineering company with a contract to revamp a lead/acid battery recycling plant, I know from personal experience how sold state battery (SDB) technology would be a welcome replacement for lead/acid batteries. Extended lifespan is icing on the cake; in comparison to continued use of lead/acid batteries and the required recycling.

The only question that remains in my mind is how soon these will become available, for many different products requiring batteries. I’ve seen a number of these electrical energy storage systems reveal themselves to be absolute fraud, generally backed by government grants.

SDBs need to become widespread reality, if current propaganda is to be believed; the sooner the better.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
No doubt. It goes without saying that many of us are eager to see us get our Rivians (heck at this point, I think we'll be giddy to hear/see ANY one of us get their Rivian, lol). But with solid state batteries becoming a possibility down the road it make me wonder: Would people wait even longer if they knew 2nd generations R1s were to come with Solid States?
Who is to say that they won't offer an upgrade option? The beauty of the EV is that you could, in theory, drop the battery back and swap it (so long as the connections are the same), and update the BMS accordingly.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared, #78xx
Reaction score
First Name
Jared, #78xx
Vehicles
Honda Civic
Who is to say that they won't offer an upgrade option? The beauty of the EV is that you could, in theory, drop the battery back and swap it (so long as the connections are the same), and update the BMS accordingly.
Rivian...
They have said they won't (more than once...)

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Rivian...
They have said they won't (more than once...)
Yes, and we all know that every business is static and never changes its model or service offerings (especially if a competitor is offering a better service option).

MIG

Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
The operative phrase being "manufacture at scale." No doubt somebody is testing the technology in a vehicle at this very moment. Long way to manufacturing for 1,000's of vehicles. As Fisker noted when they abandoned their research, the final 10% is far more complicated than the first 90%.

MIG

Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
These are not easily "swappable"; hugely labor-intensive to remove after manufacture.

Advertisement

Advertisement