First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I'm surprised people would be buying a Rivian if they don't think the management team is competent enough to make better decisions than random people on the internet.
Well said, IPO or a buyout is likely necessary for long term viability.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
The fact that it specifically says IPO & that Rivian has been seeking advice from bankers definitely leads me to believe it is an actual IPO and not a SPAC. IPO is a much more involved process, but would provide Rivian more control & flexibility.

I'm also in the "why now" camp, but we have no way to know the goals, timeline, and capital requirements of what they're trying to achieve as a result of going public...

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Asking out of curiosity: how would employees in parts sourcing or on the assembly line be affected by Rivian's IPO efforts? Wouldn't the IPO responsibilities primarily fall on the C-team, accounting, etc?
It may not directly affect the guy tightening lug nuts, at first, but it's going to affect management at all levels, and that will affect production. Also, once Rivian goes public, they won't have full control over their direction, and that worries me.

Tesla went public much sooner than they wanted to, but the need to raise money forced their hand. Rivian doesn't have that problem. I really think they're better served by staying private a little longer.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I agree with Commodore that Rivian has been making good design decisions without to much investor influence

A counterpoint to Mreda would be that I baught a Ford in the past and they have made some lousy decisions in the past and while I've never owned a GM or Diamler Chrystler, or whatever they are now, I would say the average schmuck could better lead those companies.

Also members of this forum seem to be very intelligent and have good insight. I know of gotten some good perspectives I wouldn't have considered here.

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
The fact that it specifically says IPO & that Rivian has been seeking advice from bankers definitely leads me to believe it is an actual IPO and not a SPAC. IPO is a much more involved process, but would provide Rivian more control & flexibility.

I'm also in the "why now" camp, but we have no way to know the goals, timeline, and capital requirements of what they're trying to achieve as a result of going public...
"IPO" is often, and almost by default, now used to mean any of the myriad of ways of becoming a publicly traded company.

Reactions: Cam

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Like Apple before this, I’ll toss money into the stock and see what happens. Multiplied my Apple stock by roughly 40 over 16 years. Rivian will be around a while, so let’s see where it goes.

JDMD

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Physician
Asking out of curiosity: how would employees in parts sourcing or on the assembly line be affected by Rivian's IPO efforts? Wouldn't the IPO responsibilities primarily fall on the C-team, accounting, etc?
I sure hope they give us an opportunity to invest. That would be great!

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

I'm excited about the prospects and discussed Rivian with my broker months ago. While difficult for us little guys, he's going to try to get me in on the IPO. If not, I'll buy a few shares when it is publicly available.

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Interesting list on Twitter:

Rivian R1T R1S Report: Rivian Aims for IPO This Year 1620778160218

Last edited:

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

1. Make my truck

then

2. Go public.

In that order.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
I wonder what the effect on Rivian financially will be from this string of delays in production and hence revenue. I'm assuming the IPO is off the table until at least a product launch but I have to think the cash burn is starting to become an issue. With the history of EV startups not being stellar it would be interesting to know if and when another funding round may be necessary. I have to say I have not been following the financial side of things very well. Hope someone who has can chime in with their take on cash on hand. Maybe a little more financial pressure to get an income stream would be a good thing.

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I wonder what the effect on Rivian financially will be from this string of delays in production and hence revenue. I'm assuming the IPO is off the table until at least a product launch but I have to think the cash burn is starting to become an issue. With the history of EV startups not being stellar it would be interesting to know if and when another funding round may be necessary. I have to say I have not been following the financial side of things very well. Hope someone who has can chime in with their take on cash on hand. Maybe a little more financial pressure to get an income stream would be a good thing.
I remember someone on here mentioning that the company wanted to at least ship a meaningful number of cars to customers before IPO. I think they have that much confidence in their final product. canonically, 1 year delay in the life of a vehicle manufacturer is barely a blip. If they survive long term, people won't remember these delays.
Sponsored