First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
I had a crazy idea about a year ago to order 3 Rivian models right from the get go and I would rent at least one of them, built out as a well prepped, all inclusive overlanding vehicle, on Turo as a little side hustle. Well the first one showed up yesterday and I have to say I'm struggling a bit! šŸ˜‚ JK, but I do want it go smoothly....

With no experience renting on Turo, and having only rented one EV myself, a Model Y through Hertz, I'd like to make sure it is a pleasant experience for both the renters as well as myself. Is there anyone here doing the Turo thing regularly that can chip in regarding key Fob, cards, app, check-in/out process? I have a Model 3 and obviously the use of the app is great. Hertz doesn't allow for any app connectivity and the use of the fob was a pain. Not a total deal breaker but certainly not the same experience.

I'm super excited to have this ride and the second one will be here very soon so I have to get going on this!
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I had a crazy idea about a year ago to order 3 Rivian models right from the get go and I would rent at least one of them, built out as a well prepped, all inclusive overlanding vehicle, on Turo as a little side hustle. Well the first one showed up yesterday and I have to say I'm struggling a bit! šŸ˜‚ JK, but I do want it go smoothly....

With no experience renting on Turo, and having only rented one EV myself, a Model Y through Hertz, I'd like to make sure it is a pleasant experience for both the renters as well as myself. Is there anyone here doing the Turo thing regularly that can chip in regarding key Fob, cards, app, check-in/out process? I have a Model 3 and obviously the use of the app is great. Hertz doesn't allow for any app connectivity and the use of the fob was a pain. Not a total deal breaker but certainly not the same experience.

I'm super excited to have this ride and the second one will be here very soon so I have to get going on this!
I haven't done this and have no desire to, but this is what I'd try.

Invite the person onto your Rivian account so they can set up phone-as-key, and revoke their access when their rental is over. Not sure if it gets complicated by having multiple vehicles at all.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

When we had a Model 3 on Turo we would just leave a keycard hidden in the interior and lock/unlock the vehicle via the app at pickup and drop off. Since the keycard isnā€™t proximity based, it avoids some of the issues caused by proximity keys. If the key to our Model X isnā€™t in an RFID pouch, the car will constantly light up or unlock itself basically inviting anyone to take it.

Weā€™ve had a lot of issues with Turo and bad renters, but aside from true problems the biggest annoyance from a renterā€™s perspective is that many people who were renting a Tesla for the first time didnā€™t understand how to actually start the car, shift, lock/unlock, and use regen braking. Itā€™s not an issue with in-person pickup but itā€™s problematic with remote pickup.

Other tips: make sure you thoroughly check the vehicle after each rental. People take photos when checking in but can try to be strategic with angles if theyā€™ve done something minor to the car, with the hope that you wonā€™t notice.

Also, depending on location, it may be handy to let people know where good fast chargers are (and whether they should sign up for an account). Also, explain to people that they cannot expect to charge off a regular household outlet. Some people donā€™t understand that they wonā€™t be able to just plug it into any outlet and get a good charge rate.

Oh, and for your own sanity DO NOT try to keep tabs on the renters. Rivianā€™s app doesnā€™t give you all the info Teslaā€™s app does (speed, door status, etc.) but you will drive yourself nuts if you try to police the renters. Youā€™ll need to accept that people will treat it as a rental, a high powered one at that, and some will abuse it or take it to weird places.

Last edited:

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I've rented a BMW i8 on Turo and the process was pretty simple. I did, however, cause some damage to the vehicle (first time driving on tiny London streets - scraped the rims on one side on a curb, and then went out into the English countryside to do 140mph on tiny little backroads and had a few encroaching branches scrape the wrap on the side of the vehicle). From my end the claims process for the damages was pretty simple, just cost me my deposit basically. I'm not sure how that process worked on the owner's side.

I considered putting my R1T on Turo since I don't drive that often (or didn't when I lived in the middle of the city at least) but given how little I cared when I rented the car, and some experiences I've heard from others relating to their vehicles getting trashed from repeated rentals on Turo, I don't think I'd consider it for my baby.

If I had 3, sure, might make sense then. You only have to rent it out a few days a month to pay for the financing payment, so it makes a lot of sense from that perspective.

Still wouldn't feel comfortable with it myself, but good luck if you do!

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
You are a brave soul.

Maybe consider a hitch combo lock to keep the fob in for renters, and another hidden keycard somewhere else on the rig as backup. Perhaps lock the fob in the Rivian via your Paak and unlock it remotely for renters, backup keycard locked in a hitch lock. Maybe no Paak for renters?

Other EVā€™s Iā€™ve rented through Turo also required them to be returned with 80% minimum charge.

And charge high prices.

Last edited:

Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Since you ordered one specifically for Turo, I'll save my normal comments about renting valued possessions on Turo: It will get trashed. I rented one over LDW and the interior was a mess, body panels around the car scratched, dented, damaged, etc., wheels scratched.

Regarding access, I rented an R1T over LDW and was given a card for access. It worked fine until the update happened over that weekend, and every time I got in the vehicle, it would sync the driver profile to the owner's wife, who was very short :D

I recommend you make a guest profile on the vehicle, and then assign the key card to that profile. It might also work out to setup PaaK access, since you can revoke from the app. This way, you don't have to worry about someone losing your fob or card, and you can revoke access at any time.

EDIT: Also charge enough to deter irresponsible individuals.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
If You want your rather expensive electrotruck to be treated like a ā€œCorolla or similarā€ rental from Alamo used to go to burning man, put it on turo.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

I rented a R1T and a R1S on Turo and had great experiences. The vehicles were clean, and the owners were awesome. I babied both of the rentals because I love the vehicles so much, but I don't anticipate that every renter would do the same.

This is what I would do if I were in your situation, I would search local R1Ts in your area, and rent the one with the most amount of total rentals. Then, I would meet the owner to pick up the rental, and ask a bunch of questions about the process and his / her experience. I'm sure that person will be able to share a lot of valuable insight. This will help you make an informed decision based on real world usage in your area, as opposed to random, anonymous advice from the internet.

I'm grateful to the owners that rent their Rivians on Turo. They have only helped solidify my opinion that these vehicles are absolutely worth the long wait.

Reactions: Rad

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Renting out $100k electric vehicle on Turo. SURE.

*locks truck into valet mode so it won't go over 30mph and accelerates like a dried up snail, locks tonneau cover so they can't try to haul anything in it, locks gear tunnel*. Ok, Ready.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ogryry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Thanks for all the input. There aren't ANY Rivians on Turo in my area so I can set the price and it will certainly be high to deter "certain individuals". Believe me, there is a certain clientele I want to attract and certain others I want to deter and will be very choosy regarding who gets access.

Im sure things will happen but that's what insurance is for, right? I am approaching this from the business angle, not the "I'm going to whore out my baby" angle..

But I could just sell it and make $20k. How long would it take to make that much in rentals?...... :rolleyes:

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
..I am approaching this from the business angle, not the "I'm going to whore out my baby" angle...
Just cause she's high priced doesn't mean you aint pimping her out. Just sayin.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Im sure things will happen but that's what insurance is for, right?
Keep in mind that repair times right now are very long, so fixing damage may lead to long downtime for the vehicle and renters donā€™t usually like to rent cars that already have damage on them, especially more expensive vehicles.

And if someone totals it, youā€™re back in line waiting for a new oneā€¦at whatever price is in effect when your reservation is called.

This is obviously worse case scenario (we have experienced significant damage but not a total loss on Turo), but still something to consider.

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Great idea, go for it. At 800+ per day you will make enough cash to cover potential losses. (Can charge way more if you plan to make it a camping rig, though sending EV-noobs into woods is daunting.)

AdaminFlag

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model 3 LR, 2016 Ford Expedition
Clubs

If you're renting it out as an overlanding rig with RTT and all the associated gear, you may want to look into using the Outdoorsy platform instead of Turo.
Sponsored