First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
I'm stuck at home this weekend (isolating with COVID) and spent some time to add on to the earlier work posted in this thread.

Thank you to @Mcf12 and @nc10 for your prior designs.

I printed the compass insert from @nc10 as is. I learned how to do a filament swap in the process so that's cool! Thanks Google.

I took @nc10's center cap frame and added 1mm to the radius and added a 2nd notch to each post to hold the center cap flush with the face of the wheel. Now each post locks onto the small flange on the wheel.

The only problem with this design is that it's hard to remove (or maybe not a problem?). It really locks itself to the wheel. There is enough of a gap around the outside that you can slide in a small flathead and lever the cap out.

https://www.printables.com/model/243156-rivian-center-cap-with-logo

This is the small lip inside the wheel on which the center cap locks. This is an earlier design where I was still dialing in the fit.
Rivian R1T R1S Removing 21" wheel aero covers + 3d printed hub cap = clean, easy IMG_4656

The modified center cap frame, printed in black PETG
Rivian R1T R1S Removing 21" wheel aero covers + 3d printed hub cap = clean, easy IMG_4659

I used high temp, construction hot glue to secure the insert. Time will tell if it holds.
Rivian R1T R1S Removing 21" wheel aero covers + 3d printed hub cap = clean, easy IMG_4662

The center compass is printed in PLA, mainly because I don't have yellow PETG. Again, time will tell if it lasts. If not, this kept me entertained in COVID isolation this weekend and only cost about $0.50.
Rivian R1T R1S Removing 21" wheel aero covers + 3d printed hub cap = clean, easy IMG_4663

There's about a 0.5mm gap around the outside. The raised logo looks sweet, doesn't it?
Rivian R1T R1S Removing 21" wheel aero covers + 3d printed hub cap = clean, easy IMG_4665

Sits almost perfectly flush
Rivian R1T R1S Removing 21" wheel aero covers + 3d printed hub cap = clean, easy IMG_4666
Sponsored

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
The only problem with this design is that it's hard to remove (or maybe not a problem?). It really locks itself to the wheel. There is enough of a gap around the outside that you can slide in a small flathead and lever the cap out.
Nice! I think these can only be inserted and removed a very few times in any case.

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I'm stuck at home this weekend (isolating with COVID) and spent some time to add on to the earlier work posted in this thread.

I printed the compass insert from @nc10 as is. I learned how to do a filament swap in the process so that's cool! Thanks Google.

I took @nc10's center cap frame and added 1mm to the radius and added a 2nd notch to each post to hold the center cap flush with the face of the wheel. Now each post locks onto the small flange on the wheel.

This is the small lip inside the wheel on which the center cap locks. This is an earlier design where I was still dialing in the fit.
IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg

I used high temp, construction hot glue to secure the insert. Time will tell if it holds.
IMG_4662.jpg

The center compass is printed in PLA, mainly because I don't have yellow PETG. Again, time will tell if it lasts. If not, this kept me entertained in COVID isolation this weekend and only cost about $0.50.
IMG_4663.jpg

There's about a 0.5mm gap around the outside. The raised logo looks sweet, doesn't it?
IMG_4665.jpg

IMG_4666.jpg
A small center hole that you can hook/pick will allow the caps the be removed, far better than a screwdriver against the wheel and cap.

TNRivian

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Occupation
COO

IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg

IMG_4662.jpg

IMG_4663.jpg

IMG_4665.jpg

IMG_4666.jpg
My son was inspired by your work and used an SLA to print all black.

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Removing 21" wheel aero covers + 3d printed hub cap = clean, easy PXL_20220806_232823861

Rivian R1T R1S Removing 21" wheel aero covers + 3d printed hub cap = clean, easy PXL_20220806_233347114

Rivian R1T R1S Removing 21" wheel aero covers + 3d printed hub cap = clean, easy PXL_20220806_233649027

Center caps from Amazon, painted with yellow rattle can, with white metallic Rivian vinyl sticker from @twraps. This is sort of a proof of concept, I'll probably go back and do the same process but with a higher quality/better paint job and try to color match the calipers as closely as possible. Super excited about how they turned out.

LTD in CBTS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3, Vespa 300, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I also did an SLA print and it came out rock solid. Spray painted with close to a compass yellow color. I tried to dropper in some black paint in the channels but it was too thick and wicked up the walls. These are just for fun and I will keep experimenting with thinner paint. Who knows. Retired and lots of free time. And I don't have my truck and I can't pull the trigger on the shops Rivian blue with forest edge interior. Still waiting for my build. If there is anyone in San Diego who wants to try them on their R1T 21s, let me know. I am in Cardiff-By-The-Sea.
Rivian R1T R1S Removing 21" wheel aero covers + 3d printed hub cap = clean, easy IMG_4873

Skyball

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Self
Has anyone powder-coated these wheels black yet? Would love to see how they look.

johnjackson99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Ioniq 5
Occupation
IT