Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Trying to decide on wheels, so quick question: Why get the 21's and take the aero's off vs. just getting 22's?

This question is more for LE folks that get the 22's for the same cost as the the 21's. I assume the mileage gain from the 21's without aeros becomes less, and then you need to fool around with aftermarket caps, etc.
For me...

The 22's take a 5-10% range hit. That's roughly 15-30 miles. Considering a max pack adds 80 miles, that's roughly $3,000 to $6,000 worth of range (using post 3/1 pricing). Sure I take the hit without aero covers on the 21's but at least I have an option.

Around town, daily driving I won't need 314 miles. I'm willing to take the range hit for the significantly better looks. But when I know I'm going out of town, a quick snap of the cover and I get my full range. Less than 5 minutes of work and no extra cost.
Sponsored

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
A few pictures of the 21" wheels with and without the aero cover.

The hole that remains without the cover has a few 'steps' in it, so it's hard to say exactly what size cap might fit best, but it is around 48.4mm (1.9").

Note that this is MUCH smaller than most other vehicle center caps, at least all the ones I'm familiar with. Most I've seen are in the 56-76mm range.

Note that the center portion on the aero cover is definitely *not* removable. There is a groove around it that makes it look like it might be, but when you look at the back you can see it is directly molded in. The little Rivian logo/badge itself looks like it might be removable, but is definitely not the correct size or shape to fill the hole left behind when removing the cover.

While I'm hopeful someone can identify a readily available plug or existing center cap that would fit perfectly, not optimistic... I think unfortunately it will have to be a custom injection molded or 3D printed solution.

Rivian aero cover - 1 (3).jpeg
Rivian aero cover - 2.jpeg
Rivian aero cover - 1 (2).jpeg
Rivian aero cover - 1 (1).jpeg
Rivian aero cover - 1.jpeg
Huge thanks! I found some on Amazon that I think will work, but I don't get my truck until Wednesday to make sure. If they fit, I'll post back and include the link.

pfbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (ordered), F150, Q5, 911 Turbo(s)
Huge thanks! I found some on Amazon that I think will work, but I don't get my truck until Wednesday to make sure. If they fit, I'll post back and include the link.
How about just posting the link for us to check 'em out? Or just the Amazon ASIN code? I've found nothing even close on amazon.

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
How about just posting the link for us to check 'em out? Or just the Amazon ASIN code? I've found nothing even close on amazon.
These are the ones I got (the Outer 54MM , Inner 46MM ones) and seem close-ish, but we'll see once I get a chance to try them. https://a.co/d/j7le3ak

If those don't work, I might try these next: https://a.co/d/5NQGPg8

metroman99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3, Chevy Volt
Rivian R1T R1S Removing 21" wheel aero covers + 3d printed hub cap = clean, easy 8216AB37-AA5B-4ABD-A4FF-9046BFC5FC1D
Rivian R1T R1S Removing 21" wheel aero covers + 3d printed hub cap = clean, easy 4B4C7630-722D-4AAB-8E7D-6FF423B6538C

These seem to fit very well.

KitsPro 2.25Inch 57MM Wheel Center Caps for Tesla Model S Model X Model Y Model 3 Rim Hub Caps 6005879 00 A , Pack of 4 (Gunmetal Gray, Outer 57MM , Inner 50MM) https://a.co/d/3KiT5mh

The decal is from TWRAPS

Sponsored

GEON

First Name
GEON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Technology Executive
Thanks for sharing the STL file!!!

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I drove my truck for a couple days, and then looked at the wheels and two of my 3D Printed caps had fallen out. I'm using eSUN PLA+. I may try increasing the dimensions of the print by like 1% to see if that makes the fit a bit more snug to prevent it.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I drove my truck for a couple days, and then looked at the wheels and two of my 3D Printed caps had fallen out. I'm using eSUN PLA+. I may try increasing the dimensions of the print by like 1% to see if that makes the fit a bit more snug to prevent it.
You do not want to print these in PLA as it has very low heat resiliency. At higher temperatures it will deform.

You'll need to go PETG or ABS, but be careful with the latter as it releases toxic fumes when printing.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Re: cleaning up 21" wheels when you didn't have the aero covers on...

I pulled together a simple cap design in Fusion 360. Dropped the STL on thingiverse if you want to give it a go yourself. I think it cleans things up a tad.

Curious, is there a reason to have it not cover the entire center including lugs? Just make it one smooth surface over the entire center.

OP
OP
Mcf12

Mcf12

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I3 Rex, Hybrid Pacifica, Electric 1984 PX150 Vespa
Occupation
Custom Electric Motorcycles
the planes outside of the ring where it is now aren't really flat. they taper back into the wheel as they get closer to the openings of the wheel, so i don't really see a logical spot to take the cover beyond where it is that doesn't introduce a super thin taper or a goofy visual break. but i'm probably not looking at every angle

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mcf12

Mcf12

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I3 Rex, Hybrid Pacifica, Electric 1984 PX150 Vespa
Occupation
Custom Electric Motorcycles
You do not want to print these in PLA as it has very low heat resiliency. At higher temperatures it will deform.

You'll need to go PETG or ABS, but be careful with the latter as it releases toxic fumes when printing.
+1 - mine are in petg and holding up. but my antenna mount prototype on the bed rail melted in that 113 ish heat index last week. wheel covers never got that hot.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I just got my first 3D printer about a month ago and I've been printing some designs on thingiverse. I was wondering what program do you guys use to design the stl files. I have a set of 20s and I wouldn't mind trying to design the aero covers that the 20s had initially.
My idea is to start with pla for an initial fitment check and later move to a more temperature resistant material.

pfbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (ordered), F150, Q5, 911 Turbo(s)
8216AB37-AA5B-4ABD-A4FF-9046BFC5FC1D.jpeg
4B4C7630-722D-4AAB-8E7D-6FF423B6538C.jpeg

These seem to fit very well.

KitsPro 2.25Inch 57MM Wheel Center Caps for Tesla Model S Model X Model Y Model 3 Rim Hub Caps 6005879 00 A , Pack of 4 (Gunmetal Gray, Outer 57MM , Inner 50MM) https://a.co/d/3KiT5mh

The decal is from TWRAPS
Very cool... Fit is nice and tight?

metroman99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3, Chevy Volt

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I just got my first 3D printer about a month ago and I've been printing some designs on thingiverse. I was wondering what program do you guys use to design the stl files. I have a set of 20s and I wouldn't mind trying to design the aero covers that the 20s had initially.
My idea is to start with pla for an initial fitment check and later move to a more temperature resistant material.
The easiest entry to this is Tinkercad - it's 100% online.
Sponsored