First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I3 Rex, Hybrid Pacifica, Electric 1984 PX150 Vespa
Occupation
Custom Electric Motorcycles
Re: cleaning up 21" wheels when you didn't have the aero covers on...

I pulled together a simple cap design in Fusion 360. Dropped the STL on thingiverse if you want to give it a go yourself. I think it cleans things up a tad.

Rivian R1T R1S Removing 21" wheel aero covers + 3d printed hub cap = clean, easy Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 2.32.50 PM
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Color match it to Compass Yellow and do the Rivian emblem in white with the yellow surround and you've got a winner.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Hard to tell from the video, but when you removed the aero cover, did it leave a mark/scratch on the rims? Also, I would have made the logo raised and the cap flush with the surface of the rim with a small notch so it could be removed. Your version looks very difficult to remove. Good job at a first pass though. Rivian should REALLY offer a suitable center cap though. Seems stupid that the cap in the aero cover isn't matched to the actual rim.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mcf12

Mcf12

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
OP
OP
Mcf12

Mcf12

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Hard to tell from the video, but when you removed the aero cover, did it leave a mark/scratch on the rims? Also, I would have made the logo raised and the cap flush with the surface of the rim with a small notch so it could be removed. Your version looks very difficult to remove. Good job at a first pass though. Rivian should REALLY offer a suitable center cap though. Seems stupid that the cap in the aero cover isn't matched to the actual rim.
not at all. very easy to pop out with hands. there's no metal to metal contact. the aero's are plastic where they touch the rims.

yes, good points on the raised logo, but much easier to 3d print this way vs raised logo. taking the aeros off explains why they kept the logo/hub attached. the aero's need a point of contact to hold on to in the center of the wheel. should be pretty easy to iterate on this diy hub design to get what we want on a non-aero hub. lots of lip to grab onto inside the hub!

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Chiming in: when ever my R1S arrives (likely in about a year), I will be looking to find someone to buy these from. These are a good start, and if they were all that was available, I would get them. However, I am hoping by then you can buy:
- a 3d printed wheel cap with the raised yellow / gold logo so that I can remove the aero inserts
- a 3d printed organizer for the area between the two front seats.

I had great luck buying something similar for my ID.4 that just affixes to the ground with velcro between the two front seats.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Re: cleaning up 21" wheels when you didn't have the aero covers on...

I pulled together a simple cap design in Fusion 360. Dropped the STL on thingiverse if you want to give it a go yourself. I think it cleans things up a tad.

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 2.32.50 PM.png
Wait you MADE that?? Like from scratch? That’s insane. Great work!

Does anyone think that a similar thing will be created as an aero cover for the other wheel designs?

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mcf12

Mcf12

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Wait you MADE that?? Like from scratch? That’s insane. Great work!

Does anyone think that a similar thing will be created as an aero cover for the other wheel designs?
the little disc was easy. A few iterations ahead to try it sitting flush with wheel…

OP
OP
Mcf12

Mcf12

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I wonder if buying a few sets of the Aero covers and having them "machined" would be an option, just for the center cap area or maybe slightly larger...

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

the little disc was easy. A few iterations ahead to try it sitting flush with wheel…
Just wondering if you would be willing to make another set (paid for of course)? I am thinking of taking out the aero inserts and possible powder coating black (when i get my R1T), but would love a rivian insert for the center.
Sponsored